X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Watched Pearl over the weekend. Gorgeous movie, old school feel, and I just loved it. 4 out of 5 stars.
    I loved this trilogy of movies so much! In fact, they are one of the few recent movies that I actually broke down and saw in the theaters on opening day. Luckily, the crowds were fine for each showing. Mia Goth is a rockstar IMO and I'd watch her in pretty much anything!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Watched Pearl over the weekend. Gorgeous movie, old school feel, and I just loved it. 4 out of 5 stars.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I watched a couple of good ones over the weekend. THE BIKERIDERS, on Peacock, about a motorcycle club that grows too large, and becomes a motorcycle GANG. Austin Butler stars, and Tom Hardy and the lead actress, whose name escapes me, deliver the weirdest accents I've ever heard in a drama. Worth seeing for her accent alone.

On the batshit crazy front, Prime Video has THE BEEKEEPER, which finds Jason Statham killing tons of people in a quest for justice on behalf of a scammed senior citizen. If you like a good, old-fashioned "Kill 'em all" revenge film, look no further.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Thanks for further insight into the decision to turn the rather slim novel version of THE HOBBIT into a three movies. Should have expected that greed was at the center of it. Anyways, I hoped you enjoyed finishing off your rewatch!
    I had a good time! I'm in no hurry to watch them again, but it was fun.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I consider the LOTR trilogy, theatrical and extended editions, some of the finest motion pictures ever made. My wife makes fun of me because I can stumble across them on TV, and get sucked into watching again every time. I still cry when Sam carries Frodo up Mount Doom.

Vice just did a great season of ICONS UNEARTHED about the making of the two trilogies, and THE HOBBIT seems to have been an especially torturous production. Jackson did not want to direct, tapping Guillermo del Toro for that job, but it quickly became apparent that he also did not want to relinquish control, and the studios involved wanted no one but Jackson at the helm. Some of the extras that I've been watching during my Hobbitathon show, in a glancing way, the stress Jackson was under. In some of the behind-the-scenes footage he looks like a living corpse, scarily thin and exhausted-looking. A featurette about Smaug shows that they were still working on his look at the end of the first film two weeks before the premiere date. According to the Vice show, del Toro and Jackson agreed on two films, but the weird rights situation demanded that all profits from the first film be split among all of the involved studios, but any subsequent films would be pure profit for Warner Bros., which made Warner's insist on THREE films, rather than two. You can tell this trilogy was a money-grab, rather than a labor of love, like the first trilogy.

Looking forward to finishing out the trilogy tonight. It served it's purpose by lightening up my grim mood, so...mission accomplished.
    Thanks for further insight into the decision to turn the rather slim novel version of THE HOBBIT into a three movies. Should have expected that greed was at the center of it. Anyways, I hoped you enjoyed finishing off your rewatch!

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Enjoy yourself and the film. I'm sure you deserve a little peace.

Â
    Thanks, Ben!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Enjoy yourself and the film. I'm sure you deserve a little peace.

Looking forward to finishing out the trilogy tonight. It served it's purpose by lightening up my grim mood, so...mission accomplished.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I know I saw the first two HOBBIT films, but I don't think I ever watched the third. I think the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy is fantastic--any thoughts on the extended versions of those?--but the HOBBIT trilogy left me a little cold. I think two films would have sufficed. I think that the making of the HOBBIT films is fascinating, though, as it seems to have been rather troubled. If I remember correctly--and I could be wrong--but I remember seeing a making-of that discussed how the second film ground to a halt due to not having a detailed plan for the final battle, which in turn formed the genesis for the third film. Like I said, I could be misremembering this, but if that's the case, I can't imagine the pressure on Jackson and company.
    I consider the LOTR trilogy, theatrical and extended editions, some of the finest motion pictures ever made. My wife makes fun of me because I can stumble across them on TV, and get sucked into watching again every time. I still cry when Sam carries Frodo up Mount Doom.

Vice just did a great season of ICONS UNEARTHED about the making of the two trilogies, and THE HOBBIT seems to have been an especially torturous production. Jackson did not want to direct, tapping Guillermo del Toro for that job, but it quickly became apparent that he also did not want to relinquish control, and the studios involved wanted no one but Jackson at the helm. Some of the extras that I've been watching during my Hobbitathon show, in a glancing way, the stress Jackson was under. In some of the behind-the-scenes footage he looks like a living corpse, scarily thin and exhausted-looking. A featurette about Smaug shows that they were still working on his look at the end of the first film two weeks before the premiere date. According to the Vice show, del Toro and Jackson agreed on two films, but the weird rights situation demanded that all profits from the first film be split among all of the involved studios, but any subsequent films would be pure profit for Warner Bros., which made Warner's insist on THREE films, rather than two. You can tell this trilogy was a money-grab, rather than a labor of love, like the first trilogy.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I had some really depressing news that sent me into a funk, so I did what I did the last time I was depressed like this, and retreated into Middle-Earth! I decided to FINALLY watch the extended editions of THE HOBBIT trilogy, and that's how I've occupied the past four nights, probably wrapping up tonight.

Still too long and padded? Yes. I would love to see someone edit these three films down to a close approximation of the book. But the scenes put back into the extended editions really did add a lot to the films. The dwarves are better fleshed-out and more individual, there's more Christopher Lee, which is always a good thing, and there's even a whole new storyline about Thorin's missing father and the dwarf and elf rings. The over-reliance on CGI, especially for the orcs, makes much of the film look like a really nice video-game cut scene, but it's hard to deny that these are some gorgeous films. And be still my heart, there is even a wild Goblin King musical number that was a real show-stopper. Glad I took the time to revisit these films. It didn't change my overall opinion that they are a bloated swing-and-a-miss, but it's been a fun few nights, and it took my mind off of my troubles for a few hours each day.
    I know I saw the first two HOBBIT films, but I don't think I ever watched the third. I think the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy is fantastic--any thoughts on the extended versions of those?--but the HOBBIT trilogy left me a little cold. I think two films would have sufficed. I think that the making of the HOBBIT films is fascinating, though, as it seems to have been rather troubled. If I remember correctly--and I could be wrong--but I remember seeing a making-of that discussed how the second film ground to a halt due to not having a detailed plan for the final battle, which in turn formed the genesis for the third film. Like I said, I could be misremembering this, but if that's the case, I can't imagine the pressure on Jackson and company.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I had some really depressing news that sent me into a funk, so I did what I did the last time I was depressed like this, and retreated into Middle-Earth! I decided to FINALLY watch the extended editions of THE HOBBIT trilogy, and that's how I've occupied the past four nights, probably wrapping up tonight.

Still too long and padded? Yes. I would love to see someone edit these three films down to a close approximation of the book. But the scenes put back into the extended editions really did add a lot to the films. The dwarves are better fleshed-out and more individual, there's more Christopher Lee, which is always a good thing, and there's even a whole new storyline about Thorin's missing father and the dwarf and elf rings. The over-reliance on CGI, especially for the orcs, makes much of the film look like a really nice video-game cut scene, but it's hard to deny that these are some gorgeous films. And be still my heart, there is even a wild Goblin King musical number that was a real show-stopper. Glad I took the time to revisit these films. It didn't change my overall opinion that they are a bloated swing-and-a-miss, but it's been a fun few nights, and it took my mind off of my troubles for a few hours each day.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Attempted to watch "Wicked Little Letters" on Netflix. Made it 28 minutes and had enough. 1 out of 5 stars.

The film looked nice. The dialogue, character actions, and plot, did not fit the time period. The story was supposed to be comical but I found it lacking in humor or intelligence. There wasn't anything in this one for me or my wife.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

My wife reminded me that we have a B&N about 12 miles away versus the ~30 I was thinking of.

So I took my duplicate copy of The Others back and picked these up:
    • Twister 4k (not a Criterion but the price was better than Amazon (which isn't even in stock on Amazon)
    • Thief
    • Perfect Days
    • Underground Railroad
    Very nice. I've been eyeing THIEF for a long time. I want to work my way through Mann's filmography in chronological order, but just haven't committed to it yet. I wound up buying absolutely NOTHING. I was going to pull the trigger on a couple of titles, then Arrow announced the J-Horror Rising box set with NOROI: THE CURSE (which is fantastic if you enjoy Asian horror and/or found footage/mockumentaries) included and that sent me into a period of self-doubt as to what to buy.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I'd really like to see the new Deadpool in a theater, but this is exactly why I will probably not go. I remember walking out of the last Dr. Strange due to the constant distractions by others. If I ever found a theater that actually ushered people out for using their phones or being obnoxious, I would be a regular attendee for sure! I'm guessing that will never happen due to short staffing/hiring kids and not wanting to turn off potential future business. That being said, I attended Maxxxine last month and had no issues whatsoever; so, maybe the obnoxiousness comes with these big tentpole movies.
    I feel the exact same way. Frankly, the fact that people thought it was okay to bring RABBITS in with them to a movie--and that the theater staff was so unaware that they did not notice--as related in dannyboy's post just boggles the freaking mind. Never mind that even without the rabbits, other people couldn't stay off their phones for two hours. I do think that the type of movie attracts a certain type of audience, but I think, especially with these tentpole films, is that you get a lot of people who aren't just casual fans of film but those that are there not for the act of watching the film but to have said they have watched the film. I understand that short staffing/cost may be an issue that prevents having an usher inside the theater to address issues at all times at all films, I do think this could be implemented in a strategic manner. Movies that draw an younger or more casual crowd should be staffed to ensure issues are not a problem. That weird French film that only the most diehard film aficionados are attending, probably not. My local Regal is charging $18,99 and $22.99 for matinee and evening showings of the new Deadpool film. I'm not payihg $40-45 to tempt fate and get an audience that would rather post on social media about being at a film than watch the film itself (or talk incessantly about whatever is on their mind, or bring barnyard pets in with them. No offense to rabbits. I love rabbits. I own a rabbit, who happens to live in our living room and is rather nonplussed about sound from our surround sound system. However, I still wouldn't take him to the theater.) I'd rather wait for it to be released on blu-ray and I'll watch it then.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    I despite the people on my left side constantly turning on their phone flashlights and the family on my right each having A FUCKING RABBIT WITH THEM. This kind of shit is why I have nipped my former habit of going to the movies every week and now going a few times a year. People don't know how to act, and the theaters don't care to teach them.
    I'd really like to see the new Deadpool in a theater, but this is exactly why I will probably not go. I remember walking out of the last Dr. Strange due to the constant distractions by others. If I ever found a theater that actually ushered people out for using their phones or being obnoxious, I would be a regular attendee for sure! I'm guessing that will never happen due to short staffing/hiring kids and not wanting to turn off potential future business. That being said, I attended Maxxxine last month and had no issues whatsoever; so, maybe the obnoxiousness comes with these big tentpole movies.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Today's the last day of the 50% off sale there are other items on my wishlist so I could return my duplicate The Others and get something else. If I didn't cash in all of my rewards to buy this one (and Pat Garret) I would just order something on-line now since B&N isn't close by to me and I don't know returns/refunds work when the rewards were used.
    My wife reminded me that we have a B&N about 12 miles away versus the ~30 I was thinking of.

So I took my duplicate copy of The Others back and picked these up:
    • Twister 4k (not a Criterion but the price was better than Amazon (which isn't even in stock on Amazon)
    • Thief
    • Perfect Days
    • Underground Railroad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X