Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tyree View Post
    Oh. I forgot. I went on a Jess ( Teeth Weixler marathon as I think she is enormously talented. Teeth
    IMHO, was really good and Weixler owned that thing plus it sports one of the most memorable scenes in any movie of any genre:
    The gynecologist visit ( " First time ? Don't worry, I won't bite" to severed fingers, he, pointing between her legs, holding a gushing blood hand missing fingers shouting VAGINA DENTATA ! VAGINA DENTATA !) yeah, right there, with that film (2006) I became a Jessica Weixler fan.
    I haven't thought about Teeth in a long time. I remember liking it. It might be time for a revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
      Went to see Doctor Sleep yesterday and absolutely loved it! I enjoyed the book more than most people seem to have done but the movie takes it up to a whole other level.

The main story is true to the novel but the filmmakers have skillfully added a load of extra Shining goodness. It hits all the right notes and adds a lot of scares that aren't in King's sequel.

I've seen a few comments that it is too long at 2.5 hours but I would happily have spent even longer in the company of the delectable and devilish Rebecca Ferguson.
      It's Mike Flanagan, so I'm going to see it. Good to hear that you liked it!

Comment

"I am just a tad leary about this "Chapter" buiz."

Tyree,

I completely agree about the chapter business with IT. One of the things that both movie versions of IT have gotten wrong is trying to serialize the story, i.e., tell the kids story first and the adult story second. What makes the novel so effective is that both storylines / timelines are told at the same time, so both reach their climax at the end of the book.

B

Comment

Terminator: Dark Fate - I don't understand why no one is going to see this movie, I thought it was great. Not as good as T2, but certainly a much better follow up to the first two movies than any of the other Terminator movies. And it was great to see Hamiton & Schwarzenegger on screen together as these characters.

B

Comment

Me and the wife sneaked out of work early today... and watched Doctor Sleep. Yep. We are old and been married a long time. LOL LOL

I really enjoyed this movie. For me it had great pacing and went at a nice slow speed. Also loved how they handled a few tougher book to movie issues involving The Shining.

I did notice one, what I think was as editing error, where they showed the same overhead driving scene twice but really no complaints.

In regards to the rating I suppose I will put this at a 3.5/4 out of 5 stars. I think they could have done a little more in some places and a little less elsewhere.

On a side note the movie theater gets a thumbs down for being out of popcorn buckets.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
              Me and the wife sneaked out of work early today... and watched Doctor Sleep. Yep. We are old and been married a long time. LOL LOL

I really enjoyed this movie. For me it had great pacing and went at a nice slow speed. Also loved how they handled a few tougher book to movie issues involving The Shining.

I did notice one, what I think was as editing error, where they showed the same overhead driving scene twice but really no complaints.

In regards to the rating I suppose I will put this at a 3.5/4 out of 5 stars. I think they could have done a little more in some places and a little less elsewhere.

On a side note the movie theater gets a thumbs down for being out of popcorn buckets.
              Saw Dr. Sleep over the weekend and absolutely loved it. Not sure why it is a box office bomb other than perhaps pop culture is beginning to tire of the SK movie/tv explosion. While not a perfect movie, it kept me entertained the whole time even though it was a long run time. Also really loved the SK easter eggs in this movie. When one of the characters (not gonna mention who) said that "Ka is a wheel" my head could've exploded in happiness. I enjoyed this one way more than IT Chapter 2 (and I didn't dislike IT chapter 2 by any means, just felt it was a bit paint by numbers and that the media had already revealed some of the better scares)

Comment

I loved to hear Ka as well. I could have sworn I heard someone say "Tak" but I wasn't sure.

I'm surprised to hear that this isn't doing well at the box office. It really is a good movie and I think SK fans will really dig it.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                Also really loved the SK easter eggs in this movie. When one of the characters (not gonna mention who) said that "Ka is a wheel" my head could've exploded in happiness.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

One Cut of the Dead: There are some movies that are such a pure delight that it's like a sunshine being cast down to bring joy to the world. They don't come that often and definitely not to the horror genre, but we have one with this fantastic little gem. I will give away on the barest of plot points, but it is the best if you go in knowing nothing. Don't read any other reviews. Don't watch a trailer. Nothing. Just take my word on this delightful film, sit back and have a good time.

Essentially, the plot revolves around a director making a low budge zombie movie, but then real zombies show up. If you think you know this one, you don't.

Helpful hint, stick with it. There's a slow buildup over the first 30 minutes, but after that hump, you'll have a great time. One of my favorite viewing experiences of the year. This is currently streaming on Shudder.

Grade: A

Comment

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
                    Went to see Doctor Sleep yesterday and absolutely loved it! I enjoyed the book more than most people seem to have done but the movie takes it up to a whole other level.

The main story is true to the novel but the filmmakers have skillfully added a load of extra Shining goodness. It hits all the right notes and adds a lot of scares that aren't in King's sequel.

I've seen a few comments that it is too long at 2.5 hours but I would happily have spent even longer in the company of the delectable and devilish Rebecca Ferguson.
                    Very good summary of the movie. Some very good actors in it.

Comment

That Hell House LLC sounds interesting. I'll have to try to find that. Wish I had watched it in October, though. No big deal, certainly.

Hard to look through the entire thread, but has anyone seen Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? Just rented it this week at Redbox (there should be a movie about an evil DVD-rental kiosk, maybe with the same name; then again, has that already been done, even as an episode of something?).

Thought I was going to really like it, but while it was cool, I was a bit disappointed. Trying to figure out why, and I think this is the reason: it was more of a Gothic tale (I do not know if I am using that term correctly here, but bear with me) than the Blumhouse-type tale I expected. I say Gothic because it is a period piece in a sense (I know not that far in the past, but still, wasn't it fifty years ago or something?) and it is about a family thing with a secret and a whole soap-opera-sort-of origin, and so on. I thought I was going to watch maybe a modern-day high-school film a la stuff like we've seen in the post-Scream era of horror cinema: teens have to fight an unknown evil entity that makes stories come to life, social media is all over the place, etc. Once you start explaining a backstory to me, for this type of film, I start to tune out, it becomes less fun. Stories just felt too serious, there wasn't enough trick-or-treating going on, if you know what I mean. The Toro guy (and I'm just not a fan of his to be honest) mentioned in the extra feature that they did it in a way such that it wasn't just a straight anthology...maybe that's what I wanted: anthology, wraparound. Not a 10+-film-festival pseudo-anthology (those are getting somewhat long in the tooth) but a true Creepshow-type work. Just not as fun as I thought. Never really knew about the book either, just heard of it...will have to check it out, think the stories are really short, which might be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                        That Hell House LLC sounds interesting. I'll have to try to find that. Wish I had watched it in October, though. No big deal, certainly.

Hard to look through the entire thread, but has anyone seen Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? Just rented it this week at Redbox (there should be a movie about an evil DVD-rental kiosk, maybe with the same name; then again, has that already been done, even as an episode of something?).

Thought I was going to really like it, but while it was cool, I was a bit disappointed. Trying to figure out why, and I think this is the reason: it was more of a Gothic tale (I do not know if I am using that term correctly here, but bear with me) than the Blumhouse-type tale I expected. I say Gothic because it is a period piece in a sense (I know not that far in the past, but still, wasn't it fifty years ago or something?) and it is about a family thing with a secret and a whole soap-opera-sort-of origin, and so on. I thought I was going to watch maybe a modern-day high-school film a la stuff like we've seen in the post-Scream era of horror cinema: teens have to fight an unknown evil entity that makes stories come to life, social media is all over the place, etc. Once you start explaining a backstory to me, for this type of film, I start to tune out, it becomes less fun. Stories just felt too serious, there wasn't enough trick-or-treating going on, if you know what I mean. The Toro guy (and I'm just not a fan of his to be honest) mentioned in the extra feature that they did it in a way such that it wasn't just a straight anthology...maybe that's what I wanted: anthology, wraparound. Not a 10+-film-festival pseudo-anthology (those are getting somewhat long in the tooth) but a true Creepshow-type work. Just not as fun as I thought. Never really knew about the book either, just heard of it...will have to check it out, think the stories are really short, which might be cool.
                        I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably give it a go soon. I've heard mixed reviews so I'll go in with my expectations in check.

Comment

Just rewatched Collateral by Michael Mann. I just don't see this movie getting much love recently. Maybe it's because it's Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx so there's a dismissal of it due to Hollywood Star pedigree, but, man, I thought this movie worked so well. There is no fat on this movie as each scene serves a purpose and propels the plot the forward to its end. The moments that hum are the interactions between Cruise and Foxx especially near the end of the film when the veneer comes off Cruise's character and what is truly beneath shows through. And for an action film, it has an oddly melancholic tone to it that simply works. If you've never seen it or haven't seen it since it's release 15 (!!) years ago, I recommend revisiting it.

Comment

I liked Mann's Collateral too. Original, violent and just plain entertaining. Never did get the lack of love for this way above average thriller.

Socky, One Cut of the Dead: First film I will be ordering---looking forward to it. Thank you !

Doctor Sleep, also. Appreciate all the heads up, fellas. Love's me some Flanagan, too. Sometimes I learn to just go with these bouts of insomnia, sit back in the dark and watch a good film or two, then back to bed.

I watched one called Aged Out, a gut-wrencher with my boy Tye ( Joe ) Sheridan and an actress I always find amazing--Imogene Poots. Her face, one just wants to cup, tell her everything is going to be OK. Very lovely, very sad.
                            Filmed in Waco. B+ Sports an ending that will leave you stunned, near tears.

Just now finished Joker. Still reeling from the total awesomeness of the viewing. Best film I have watched in quite a while. A
                            Thanks to all you cats for recommending this bad boy.

Another must watch are the Department Q series. I believe there are three, all terrific, but the second one will blow you away.
                            I admit to weeping at the end. "Carl " and "Assad ", two of the best partners ever created. Superb. Just when you think "Conspiracy Of Faith" cannot get an more intense the writers ratchet it up, then up more, then more until you're leaning forward, molars gritting, uncontrollable " FUCK !"s waking the wife up. Guys across the pond ? I believe BBC Four carried these. Highly recommended. I do not stream much but I do believe you can stream these from the usual suspects.
                            ( Warning to members who have children--do not watch the second installment. It is brutal and horrifying and you will kick my ass. )

Another one to check out:Hounds Of Love. I am around halfway through so no grade but it is very very good.

Comment

Hey Sockster !

This it ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7914416/

Yeah, I'll hit Shudder. Least I know the subs will be hard coded, not an srt. file I may have to dig around for. Thanks, brotha man ! Looks like a hoot n a half ! BTW, was this first a short film...?

Comment

Originally posted by tyree View Post
                                Hey Sockster !

This it ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7914416/

Yeah, I'll hit Shudder. Least I know the subs will be hard coded, not an srt. file I may have to dig around for. Thanks, brotha man ! Looks like a hoot n a half ! BTW, was this first a short film...?
                                Yup, that’s it. It was a short film first, I believe. I really liked this one. It’s really hard to talk about without spoiling but I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                                X