No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw MIDSOMMER, with my horror-hating wife. I thought Director Ari Aster's HEREDITARY was amazing, so I was really looking forward to this. Not as good as HEREDITARY, but well-made and compelling, nonetheless. It was, however, an endurance test. This is a LONG film, and could have probably done with a least a half-hour being trimmed. If you're hanging out on this board, there won't be any surprises in the film. You already know where it is going and how it will get there, The performances carry you through the slow spots. Perversely, I enjoyed how, if you looked around the background enough, you could figure out everything that was still to come in the film. So, I felt smart for predicting everything that was going to happen, and then I felt like an idiot for being so nosy and eagle-eyed that I spoiled the film for myself.

Aside from a few scenes that made us both wince, my wife said that "It wasn't too terrible".

I'd give it a6 or 7 out of ten.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

SHIMMER LAKE. Really liked this one. Funny as hell. Sock Monkey take note--good crime flick. B+

ANOTHER EVIL. Pleasant surprise. B+

LITTLE EVIL Funny as hell in parts. Stupid ending. Cute movie. B- Evangaline Lilly made this flick tons better--what a fucking babe.

SWEET VIRGINIA OK. Now this film is special. Socky take note. An extremely well crafted small town crime film. A

ONCE UPON A TIME IN LONDON. It is a Rumley film. Of course it was great.
      Watch demo:
      https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0750121/

Comment

BTW, loved SCALPEL.

Comment

Hey, you goofy bastid, NJ is lookin' for ya! Drop the man a line, let him know you're alive.
          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tyree View Post
            SHIMMER LAKE. Really liked this one. Funny as hell. Sock Monkey take note--good crime flick. B+

ANOTHER EVIL. Pleasant surprise. B+

LITTLE EVIL Funny as hell in parts. Stupid ending. Cute movie. B- Evangaline Lilly made this flick tons better--what a fucking babe.

SWEET VIRGINIA OK. Now this film is special. Socky take note. An extremely well crafted small town crime film. A

ONCE UPON A TIME IN LONDON. It is a Rumley film. Of course it was great.
            Watch demo:
            https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0750121/
            BTW, loved SCALPEL.
            Just saw these. Thanks for the recommendations. I've already tracked down SHIMMER LAKE and put in the queue and I was eyeballing SWEET VIRGINIA awhile back. Now with a recommendation, I'm going to have to pull the trigger. Jon Bernthal has quietly become a favorite of mine. Wasn't a huge fan of him on The Walking Dead, but I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen him in since then.

Glad to see more SCALPEL love! It is a quirky little film and would understand if people looked at me sideways after watching it, but for those viewers that get it, it's a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Socky ! You gotta see Outlaws Get No Funerals It is not what you think it is going to be. Grade A. It is a smart crime film with an ending that will knock you for a loop.

Also: Insomnium Great buddy flick, I mean these guys talk to each other the way me, NJ and Danny talk to each other, those raging queens. Original plot and creepy ending. B-

Yea, man, see Sweet VA pronto. Very cool. Great characters, great script. You kinda hate for the ending to happen the way it does...

Comment

Oh hey, guys ?

Have any of you seen the remake of Fingers, 1978 gem with Harvey Keitel, Tisa Farrow, Jim Brown,
                directed by James Toback ?
                https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077549/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn

IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411270/

Just curious, was worth my time.

Thanky !

Comment

Oh hey, guys ?

Have any of you seen the remake of Fingers, 1978 gem with Harvey Keitel, Tisa Farrow, Jim Brown,
                  directed by James Toback ?
                  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077549/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn

IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411270/

Just curious, was worth my time.

Thanky !
                  I am not familiar with this and can offer no insight.

I will say I watched Bad Times at the El Royal and it is a real fun and strange movie!

Comment

Angry birds 2 10/10
                    best movie for family

Comment

O man sorry bunch of movies last month or so. Just horrific. Titles escape me they were that fucking great. So know what ?
                      I went on a Richard Bates Jr. binge. This guy is the shit. Seriously good, funny horror films from the astonishing Trash Fire to Suburban Gothic, the gut-wrenching Excision and his latest did not even lower his bar an inch: Tone-Deaf is stunning. High marks for all.
                      Socky, did Bates have anything at the festival ? Probably would have been Tone-Deaf...
                      Also, did my man Zack Parker have an offering ?

Oh right. I watched the remake of Fingers. I dug it. A Lot. B+

Comment

O man sorry bunch of movies last month or so. Just horrific. Titles escape me they were that fucking great. So know what ?
                        I went on a Richard Bates Jr. binge. This guy is the shit. Seriously good, funny horror films from the astonishing Trash Fire to Suburban Gothic, the gut-wrenching Excision and his latest did not even lower his bar an inch: Tone-Deaf is stunning. High marks for all.
                        Socky, did Bates have anything at the festival ? Probably would have been Tone-Deaf...
                        Also, did my man Zack Parker have an offering ?

Oh right. I watched the remake of Fingers. I dug it. A Lot. B+
                        I've only seen Trash Fire and I remember finding it very interesting. I have yet to check out his other films though I really need to take the time to do so. He was recently on the podcast Shock Waves and he came off as a thoughtful and interesting guy. And no, nothing by Bates is playing at the festival so far this year. I also didn't see anything from Parker.

Comment

Hey Sock Monkey. My f(r)iend, see Tone Deaf and Excision. Best work I have seen are from women playing roles of troubles mothers. Hence Tracy Lords turns in her best work ever in Excision, hands down. Tracy made me weep a tear. Let the making fun of begin.
                          But both are very funny.Very gory. Patrick was great especially when he scolds us...
                          However, if you hate both, forgive me yet get get get, if you have not already, Sweet Virginia.
                          That way lesson your anger toward me for wasting 3 hours of your life. I will sell you, cheap,
                          three hours of my own for you to do anything you wish with.

Oh crap, sorry. Crissy Rock in Ken Loach's Ladybird Ladybird. A powerhouse film carried by an actress who, hands down gave the best female performance of that year, a true shocker, anger inducing film but anger delivered, no pun intended, to "Maggie", authorities, Maggie, social services, Maggie yet love for complete God-given grace that Jorge' heard her sing that night, then back to Maggie and her temper---a heck of a film, but not a film for everyone, a film that had me, Becky both yelling at the screen like little bitches.
                          Please, if you have kids, I would say avoid...

K.
                          Orphans 1998, Peter Mullen wrote, directed this film, which show Mullen is one of the finest directors ever. I had never seen or heard of this film yet am lucky enough to have a legal UK web page where I can get my wife's favorite tea time quiz show, TV aired films to, well, pretty much anything that has already been broadcast on the tube to our friends across the pond and
                          most of Europe.
                          See this fooka. Ask politely, buy, borrow, steal, beg but please try and see it. Be warned, I had mentally AMA'd out of The Death Star, avoided The Clockwork Orange, grabbed a cab and got the heck out of Glasgow for just bit--- I had the cab waiting and went right back up after the two Ken Loach films...

( I am totally joking so dammit no offense, but do the Scottish have/use an actual.. um...official language...? I know, I know, Dear sweet god I do not want to piss off any Glaswegians--- I love them and never had, once I settle in for five minutes or so, any problems as I pick it up Gal-speak fast. So cheers you lovable, violet, passionate human beings. Don't kill me, I am Irish ...or does that make things worse)

Best black comedy, Orphans, I have seen in long long time. Near perfection of a black, bleak bad-ass script and brutally dark Scottish humor. Mullan is The Man.
                          You do so very much regret the wild amount of scenes you uncomfortably chuckle through as they have soon very serious consequences but yet you already KNOW that.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119842/
                          Please do not read the top description, just some reviews/opinions...

Watched Neds: Terrific !

Had already seen Mullan's The Magdalene Sisters. Watch it tonight with The Wife. Really not surprised not everyone knows of the horror The Church put these poor girls through early 60s. I mean, my favorite writer Ken Bruen had a Jack Taylor novel fooks sake. But hey, these are just kids doing their best at IMDB. And I will never ever fault anyone who is trying to give, as entitled to, opinions.

I won't grade these. I just really enjoyed them all and am now going to get The Light House
                          as it sounds interesting and these two will not be fighting over fucking a fish w/ a killer bod.
                          Any poor soul sat through that one ?

Apologies for the tangents and ramblings.

Hasta ! and thanks again for your rundown of the Austin festival(s) I enjoyed playing catch-up with, Sock Monkey. Really grateful to you for your hard work on those films, and wetting our appetites.
                          The bats. The BATS !

Now lets find some more crime, Socky !
                          Markus.
                          Last edited by tyree; 08-27-2019, 09:33 PM. Reason: Additions and cuts

Comment

I haven't been able to see Sweet Virginia yet. It doesn't seem to be streaming on any platform I have, so I'm going to pick up a dvd on my next Amazon order.

I won't hold it against you if Excision and Tone Deaf aren't my jam. I'm always on the look out for new films (and books...and...) so all recommendations are welcome.

I haven't seen The Lighthouse, though I do have it in my queue on Shudder under title Cold Skin. So many movies and so little time!

Comment

Sockster ! Cold Skin is a different film. Check it out, Esse:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034385/

The Lighthouse with Mullan and Butler seems more of a psychological slow burn, based on a true incident where Cold Skin is creature killing, nightly, and creature...well, no spoilers. I think I grabbed the latter off my UK TV website as Keepers but I could be wrong.

I will be watching the Mullan/Butler film tonight.

BTW, have you seen any of the films based on Ken Bruen's "Jack Taylor" novels or seen the film Blitz, also by Bruen ?
                              I know how you like your crime films. Just thought I'd check tho kind of doubted it as I see you are also a California man, so
                              proooooooooooooooobably don't have access to RTE or any Irish cable...right ?

Peace, brotha and again, I really appreciate your thoughts/comments and reviews of the films from your trips to Austin. They rock, man.

Comment

Whoops ! Speaking of Glasgow ! Did you ever get a chance to see 2006's Red Road ?

Comment

Working...
                                X