Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Controversial Film Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I really need to get back to TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2. I watched the first two episodes, then my wife tapped out so it went on the back burner. Currently sitting in the to-watch pile...
    You're not missing much. It's worth a watch, I guess (mostly for her, like I said!), but just barely. Season 3 was a step back in the right direction -- damn good, but IMO that first season was sublime.

Comment

Originally posted by James Newman View Post

You're not missing much. It's worth a watch, I guess (mostly for her, like I said!), but just barely. Season 3 was a step back in the right direction -- damn good, but IMO that first season was sublime.
      Season 1 was fantastic. I was so looking forward to season 2. Made it 2 or 3 episodes in and surrendered. It was bad enough that I have not even considered trying season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Season 1 was fantastic. I was so looking forward to season 2. Made it 2 or 3 episodes in and surrendered. It was bad enough that I have not even considered trying season 3.
        Oh, man -- you should definitely give it a chance. 3 is much closer to 1 in tone and quality. Not to mention the fact that I could watch Mahershala Ali read from the phone book. What an incredible actor (and he plays 3 different ages here, through different timelines!).

Comment

Oh, man -- you should definitely give it a chance. 3 is much closer to 1 in tone and quality. Not to mention the fact that I could watch Mahershala Ali read from the phone book. What an incredible actor (and he plays 3 different ages here, through different timelines!).
          We are on the same page with Mr. Ali. What a fantastic actor. Season 3 was such a great season. Stephen Dorff's performance was so gosh darn good, as well. I expected Ali to be great, but I was so surprised by Dorff. And that ending to Season 3. Man, that lingered with me a bit.

Comment

I guess I should play the game, BTW. Here are a few of my own "controversial film opinions":

- I like SUSPIRIA, but think Dario Argento is overrated
            - I do dig the first film a lot -- especially everything up through the dinner scene -- but overall I've never been a huge fan of the ALIEN series
            - although I loved them when they were first released, I find I enjoy Christopher Nolan's Batman films less and less every time I see them . . . in fact, they tend to bore me, depending on my mood
            - with the exception of TRAIN TO BUSAN, which was amazing, I am so sick of zombie movies/books I have no desire to ever see another (unless it's re-watching RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, which is an all-time fave)
            - I love THE EXORCIST III: LEGION just as much as the original
            - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is my favorite of all the sequels
            - MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE is a blast
            - I always thought THE HOWLING was overrated . . . give me AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON any day
            - there's not a damn thing wrong with Francis Ford Coppola's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (OK, maybe except for Keanu's accent) -- in fact, it's wonderful
            - not only do I prefer US over GET OUT (which I dug a lot too), I thought US was fantastic and don't get all the hate for it
            - LORDS OF SALEM, while still nowhere close to a "good" movie, is Rob Zombie's best (least worst?) IMO, and it actually features some genuinely creepy moments
            - DJANGO UNCHAINED is my 2nd favorite Tarantino film behind PULP FICTION
            - ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD bored me to tears

Flame away.

Comment

- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is my favorite of all the sequels
              It is an amazing piece of American cinema. I rewatched it a couple of years ago and I viewed the film as a story of a boy grappling with his sexuality. I didn't see it that way the first 100 times I saw it (slight exaggeration). And I guess that lens isn't really all that groundbreaking because I just went to Wikipedia to see what year that movie came out and found this:

It received mixed reviews from critics upon release, with many comparing it unfavorably to its predecessor. However, it has enjoyed later success as a cult classic, with critics having reassessed the film's homoerotic themes and subject material.

So there's definitely more depth to this movie than Freddy's wisecracking reveals. "HELP YOURSELF, F**KER!" is my all time favorite Freddy quote.

Comment

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is an amazing film. People hate on it because it doesn't have Myers in it but if it would have been called anything else, it would have been a classic weekly immediately. Everything from the atmosphere to the acting to the score is amazing in that film. Atkins does a super job and the whole film is just straight eerie.
                Last edited by paulag; 01-22-2021, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X