Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Controversial Film Opinion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

    I really need to get back to TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2. I watched the first two episodes, then my wife tapped out so it went on the back burner. Currently sitting in the to-watch pile...
    You're not missing much. It's worth a watch, I guess (mostly for her, like I said!), but just barely. Season 3 was a step back in the right direction -- damn good, but IMO that first season was sublime.

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by James Newman View Post

      You're not missing much. It's worth a watch, I guess (mostly for her, like I said!), but just barely. Season 3 was a step back in the right direction -- damn good, but IMO that first season was sublime.
      Season 1 was fantastic. I was so looking forward to season 2. Made it 2 or 3 episodes in and surrendered. It was bad enough that I have not even considered trying season 3.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Martin View Post

        Season 1 was fantastic. I was so looking forward to season 2. Made it 2 or 3 episodes in and surrendered. It was bad enough that I have not even considered trying season 3.
        Oh, man -- you should definitely give it a chance. 3 is much closer to 1 in tone and quality. Not to mention the fact that I could watch Mahershala Ali read from the phone book. What an incredible actor (and he plays 3 different ages here, through different timelines!).

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by James Newman View Post

          Oh, man -- you should definitely give it a chance. 3 is much closer to 1 in tone and quality. Not to mention the fact that I could watch Mahershala Ali read from the phone book. What an incredible actor (and he plays 3 different ages here, through different timelines!).
          We are on the same page with Mr. Ali. What a fantastic actor. Season 3 was such a great season. Stephen Dorff's performance was so gosh darn good, as well. I expected Ali to be great, but I was so surprised by Dorff. And that ending to Season 3. Man, that lingered with me a bit.

          Comment


            #65
            I guess I should play the game, BTW. Here are a few of my own "controversial film opinions":

            - I like SUSPIRIA, but think Dario Argento is overrated
            - I do dig the first film a lot -- especially everything up through the dinner scene -- but overall I've never been a huge fan of the ALIEN series
            - although I loved them when they were first released, I find I enjoy Christopher Nolan's Batman films less and less every time I see them . . . in fact, they tend to bore me, depending on my mood
            - with the exception of TRAIN TO BUSAN, which was amazing, I am so sick of zombie movies/books I have no desire to ever see another (unless it's re-watching RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, which is an all-time fave)
            - I love THE EXORCIST III: LEGION just as much as the original
            - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is my favorite of all the sequels
            - MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE is a blast
            - I always thought THE HOWLING was overrated . . . give me AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON any day
            - there's not a damn thing wrong with Francis Ford Coppola's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (OK, maybe except for Keanu's accent) -- in fact, it's wonderful
            - not only do I prefer US over GET OUT (which I dug a lot too), I thought US was fantastic and don't get all the hate for it
            - LORDS OF SALEM, while still nowhere close to a "good" movie, is Rob Zombie's best (least worst?) IMO, and it actually features some genuinely creepy moments
            - DJANGO UNCHAINED is my 2nd favorite Tarantino film behind PULP FICTION
            - ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD bored me to tears


            Flame away.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by James Newman View Post
              - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is my favorite of all the sequels
              It is an amazing piece of American cinema. I rewatched it a couple of years ago and I viewed the film as a story of a boy grappling with his sexuality. I didn't see it that way the first 100 times I saw it (slight exaggeration). And I guess that lens isn't really all that groundbreaking because I just went to Wikipedia to see what year that movie came out and found this:

              It received mixed reviews from critics upon release, with many comparing it unfavorably to its predecessor. However, it has enjoyed later success as a cult classic, with critics having reassessed the film's homoerotic themes and subject material.

              So there's definitely more depth to this movie than Freddy's wisecracking reveals. "HELP YOURSELF, F**KER!" is my all time favorite Freddy quote.

              Comment

              Working...
              X