Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Controversial Film Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh, I would love to comment on this thread but I'm scared too, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      My wife has the same issue with Hereditary, but I think it comes down to how much you like that first 90%. If you are completely invested in it, then the shift in gears is rather jolting, but if not, then the fact that it goes completely bonkers would be seen as a plus. I liked it all, but that's because I was impressed that it went all in with the ending.
      I liked that the ending went off the rails. That was awesome. I was just expecting something of a twist in the story or some jolt, but I didn't get that. Like the conflict was missing. There was no fighting back. It just went the way it was supposed to go so I felt like something was missing. The ending might not have been predicable but it felt inevitable. [cluck noise]. I bet if I had read Rosemary's Baby before seeing Hereditary, I would have loved it even more.

Here's an opinion: Arthouse Horror Films are only revolutionary to those not familiar with good horror fiction as they are only aping what good horror authors have been doing for decades: crafting solid stories centered around fully fleshed out characters and focusing on how the horror impacts the character's arc instead of focusing on solely on scary set pieces.
      Completely agree. Real horror has nothing to do with jump scares.

Comment

Well of course I didn't care for The Lighthouse. Was once again bored stuff. Maybe I just don't know how to watch and appreciate film. Gonna give The Babadook a try tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          Well of course I didn't care for The Lighthouse. Was once again bored stuff. Maybe I just don't know how to watch and appreciate film. Gonna give The Babadook a try tonight.
          No, The Lighthouse is a very particular type of film. Eggers almost actively keeps the viewer at arms length. I heard one critic say that they respected it more than liked it, and I easily can see that point of view. How’d you like The Babadook? That’s pretty much a Michael Bay film in comparison to The Lighthouse.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            I liked that the ending went off the rails. That was awesome. I was just expecting something of a twist in the story or some jolt, but I didn't get that. Like the conflict was missing. There was no fighting back. It just went the way it was supposed to go so I felt like something was missing. The ending might not have been predicable but it felt inevitable. [cluck noise]. I bet if I had read Rosemary's Baby before seeing Hereditary, I would have loved it even more.

Completely agree. Real horror has nothing to do with jump scares.
            I see your point with Hereditary. For me, I think the inevitably of it all was the point. It was a downward spiral for this family that due to their inability to honestly connect with each other didn’t even know they were fully in until too late. There was no fight because there was no idea they were in a battle.

Comment

No, The Lighthouse is a very particular type of film. Eggers almost actively keeps the viewer at arms length. I heard one critic say that they respected it more than liked it, and I easily can see that point of view. How’d you like The Babadook? That’s pretty much a Michael Bay film in comparison to The Lighthouse.
              I'm batting a .1000 here I tell you lol. The Babadook was just ok for me.

I have never seen I Spit On Your Grave (1978) and although controversial for its time; I was bored with it also. I thought The Last House on the Left (2009) handled this type of subject matter better. I'll have to see if I can track down the original to see how it compares.

I also have never seen The Fly (1958) but knew how it ended. I picked it up for $7.00 on Amazon and really enjoyed it. It really made me nostalgic for the old goodies like Empire of the Ants, Tarantula, The Pack, Orca, The Car, Duel, etc.

Tonight's viewing will be The Fly (1986) and Pet Sematary (2019). The Fly I know I'll love as it's one of my favorite films of all time. I'm expecting to be completely disappointed in Pet Sematary as I've heard it's pretty awful.

Comment

JOKER was a huge letdown. De Niro BLEW it.

Comment

So I have been enjoying this thread with nothing to add to the conversation. The primary reason being that I am unable to consider an opinion controversial. It is what someone thinks, whether they agree with what I think is not a matter of controversy. They just have a different thought. Well last night I tried to watch some TV and came to the conclusion that Jeff's unboxing videos are more entertaining than much of the dreck on TV. Not really a film opinion, but it is all I have.

Comment

JOKER was a huge letdown. De Niro BLEW it.
                    Been debating whether to watch this or not. Not sure it'd be my thing.

PS 2019 is total trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      So I have been enjoying this thread with nothing to add to the conversation. The primary reason being that I am unable to consider an opinion controversial. It is what someone thinks, whether they agree with what I think is not a matter of controversy. They just have a different thought. Well last night I tried to watch some TV and came to the conclusion that Jeff's unboxing videos are more entertaining than much of the dreck on TV. Not really a film opinion, but it is all I have.
                      Sad but true about most TV. I just finished up the first two seasons of Yellowstone and it was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        Been debating whether to watch this or not. Not sure it'd be my thing.

PS 2019 is total trash.
                        I definitely don't want to spoil anything so let me just say I loved so much about this movie and there was just so much right about it. But there's an all-or-nothing aspect to it for me and where it failed, it failed in a critical way.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          That's really awful. I do not want to be a last refuge of entertainment for anyone. If that's the case, then all is truly lost.

Comment

That's really awful. I do not want to be a last refuge of entertainment for anyone. If that's the case, then all is truly lost.
                            I did hear the CIA was replacing waterboarding with your videos. I think you're due royalties.

Spoiler!

Comment

Yes, most definitely yes to Rachel McAdams in Game Night. She should be the biggest of stars and how she isn’t blows my mind..
                              Agreed. She was phenomenal in Season 2 of TRUE DETECTIVE (which was otherwise pretty boring, but man was she wonderful playing against type).

Comment

Originally posted by James Newman View Post

Agreed. She was phenomenal in Season 2 of TRUE DETECTIVE (which was otherwise pretty boring, but man was she wonderful playing against type).
                                I really need to get back to TRUE DETECTIVE Season 2. I watched the first two episodes, then my wife tapped out so it went on the back burner. Currently sitting in the to-watch pile...

Comment

Working...
                                X