No announcement yet.

What Have You Been Recently Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the mention of The Fog: isn't that the type of movie that, when it is on, you've just got to watch it? I am not an expert on film, so forgive my clumsy way of saying this, maybe someone else can explain what I mean, but the best I can describe it: Carpenter seems to have this laidback manner of storytelling that is not dependent on overly tricky camera movement...instead, while he might throw in an innovation here and there (think Halloween and the killer's perspective, and honestly, I forget if that was somewhat influenced by Black Christmas or whatever), I think what makes his movies so engrossing is the way he lets the tale play out through the actors, and the way he uses casting science to drive the delivery of the tale...you've got to admit, the actors really fit the roles. And his tales are tales first...they aren't meant to be vehicles for celebrity talent or special effects. I just like the intrinsic fun nature of the stories, and the films are simply the delivery medium, they could have simply been written on the page to be read, and that would have been great enough. Prince of Darkness, BIg Trouble, Memoirs, these are all films I love to watch. And I guess too in Fog's case is you've got to love the scenery...the light house, the seaside town, the church interior...all great stuff.

I recently watched Young Sherlock Holmes. Never saw that one. Let me tell you - I was delighted. Brought me back to more youthful, pre-streaming days when celluloid was all the rage as opposed to zeroes/ones, and VHS was the dominant technology and the laser disc was the technology you were most curious about, and you would read about something like this in Starlog as opposed to Fangoria. Practical set design really brought out the atmosphere in that picture, and one has to wonder if it influenced the CGI look of Harry Potter (never saw those films, but I seemed to be thinking of them while watching this). Amazing Henry Winkler was involved in this; does he still produce movies? Steven Spielberg's aesthetic is all over this, it was a wonderfully satisfying story, the stained-glass apparition is historical and fun (i.e., Pixar, John Lasseter, ILM), and it's too bad that the Stranger Things generation will never know about it and its influece (file that under disappointing things).

Out of curiosity I looked up the kid who played young Holmes and saw he was in a miniseries of H.G. Wells stories from Hallmark, many, many years ago, before the name became synonymous with winter gift-giving. I think it is called The Infinite World of H.G. Wells. This is also a lot of fun with some great stories, but I confess it is hard sometimes to follow the dialogue because of the British accents. Nevertheless, I haven't let that stop me, I am half-way through it and not at all disappointed yet...

Comment

Yes. I think that is a requirement.

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
      On the mention of The Fog: isn't that the type of movie that, when it is on, you've just got to watch it?
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm a little late on getting to this show, but I just watched The Bear on Hulu. It's about a rising star high-end chef coming back to Chicago to run the family sandwich shop after his brother dies. This got a lot of hype when it came out and in typical fashion, if something is getting too much buzz, I get rather turned off by it, which was to my detriment because it is one of my favorite shows that I've watched in a long time. I am very excited for season two to come out. As always, your mileage may vary, but I do highly recommend this one if you haven't checked it out yet.

Comment

I finished the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and now that the show has wrapped up, I can say that I genuinely loved this show. The creators and writers on this one also did Gilmore Girls, which is one of my wife's favorite shows ever. I dutifully watched the entire series with her and I found it to be okay. There were times that I enjoyed it and times that I thought it was a chore. The cast was great, but like most successful network shows, it went on for way too long and meandered all over the place. Maisel, on the other hand, had a better narrative engine built into it and due to the smaller seasons was a lot more focused (well, as focused as the Palladinos are gonna get, I guess). Overall, I loved the journey of Midge from rather pampered housewife to stand-up comic and will probably revisit this again down the line.

I also finished watching the second season of Yellowjackets. I felt the wheels coming off the wagon near the end of the first season and, boy, did this show nosedive for me. It's like the writers double-downed on everything that is not interesting (the incredibly stupid murder investigation) and then backtracked on interesting ideas (present day cult are not menacing but actually really nice). The finale then decided to take a couple of sharp turns with character decisions that made no sense at all. I am now off getting off this ride as I doubt it will get any better.

I have also started doing a full rewatch of Better Call Saul. I never watched the final two seasons so I'm going to plow through the whole thing. Very much looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            I finished the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and now that the show has wrapped up, I can say that I genuinely loved this show. The creators and writers on this one also did Gilmore Girls, which is one of my wife's favorite shows ever. I dutifully watched the entire series with her and I found it to be okay. There were times that I enjoyed it and times that I thought it was a chore. The cast was great, but like most successful network shows, it went on for way too long and meandered all over the place. Maisel, on the other hand, had a better narrative engine built into it and due to the smaller seasons was a lot more focused (well, as focused as the Palladinos are gonna get, I guess). Overall, I loved the journey of Midge from rather pampered housewife to stand-up comic and will probably revisit this again down the line.

I also finished watching the second season of Yellowjackets. I felt the wheels coming off the wagon near the end of the first season and, boy, did this show nosedive for me. It's like the writers double-downed on everything that is not interesting (the incredibly stupid murder investigation) and then backtracked on interesting ideas (present day cult are not menacing but actually really nice). The finale then decided to take a couple of sharp turns with character decisions that made no sense at all. I am now off getting off this ride as I doubt it will get any better.

I have also started doing a full rewatch of Better Call Saul. I never watched the final two seasons so I'm going to plow through the whole thing. Very much looking forward to it!
            My mother got the whole family into Yellowjackets, and my wife and I binge-watched it and caught up in time for the last few season 2 episodes. I remember seeing the commercials when season 1 was starting, and thinking "Where can this possibly go as a series?", and that has been sadly proven true. Season 2 was mostly running in place and going nowhere. The resolution to the murder investigation was fucking ridiculous, although I did laugh out loud when Elijah Wood ran out of nowhere grabbed the gun and fired into the trunk. The actors are all great, but you can tell that the showrunners had no endgame in mind, let alone how to get there, so they're just spinning their wheels. I'll probably watch season 3, when and if it ever starts, but if it doesn't start moving along, I'll probably lose interest and drop out.
            ;
            http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

My mother got the whole family into Yellowjackets, and my wife and I binge-watched it and caught up in time for the last few season 2 episodes. I remember seeing the commercials when season 1 was starting, and thinking "Where can this possibly go as a series?", and that has been sadly proven true. Season 2 was mostly running in place and going nowhere. The resolution to the murder investigation was fucking ridiculous, although I did laugh out loud when Elijah Wood ran out of nowhere grabbed the gun and fired into the trunk. The actors are all great, but you can tell that the showrunners had no endgame in mind, let alone how to get there, so they're just spinning their wheels. I'll probably watch season 3, when and if it ever starts, but if it doesn't start moving along, I'll probably lose interest and drop out.
              ;
              Oh, man, that scene with Elijah and shooting the gun into the trunk...and the other cop is, like, "You're a mastermind and I'm screwed." It's like there are no such thing as forensic science in the world of Yellowjackets. I read somewhere someone give the show this perfect description: It's a cheesy CW show that everyone is acting like it's prestige TV. I had such high hopes because Karyn Kusama is involved and I think that Jennifer's Body is a little underrated and The Invitation is a flat-out one of my favorite horror movies from the last ten years, but it doesn't seem like the show is for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sock Monkey;n196137]I also finished watching the second season of Yellowjackets. I felt the wheels coming off the wagon near the end of the first season and, boy, did this show nosedive for me. It's like the writers double-downed on everything that is not interesting (the incredibly stupid murder investigation) and then backtracked on interesting ideas (present day cult are not menacing but actually really nice). The finale then decided to take a couple of sharp turns with character decisions that made no sense at all. I am now off getting off this ride as I doubt it will get any better.

Man are you guys giving me some pause on Yellowjackets!  I've had the season one Blu-ray on my to-be-watched pile for a while, but something keeps holding me back from popping it in which is weird since I'm a big fan of a lot of the lead actors.  If I had to try to put a finger on my hesitation, I guess it would be that I was getting major Lost vibes in the sense that, from the outside, it seemed like the show was probably going to jump into a bunch of weird mythology stuff instead of just staying with its' primary plane-crash/ survival premise.  

Comment

[QUOTE=sholloman81;n196158]

Man are you guys giving me some pause on Yellowjackets! I've had the season one Blu-ray on my to-be-watched pile for a while, but something keeps holding me back from popping it in which is weird since I'm a big fan of a lot of the lead actors. If I had to try to put a finger on my hesitation, I guess it would be that I was getting major Lost vibes in the sense that, from the outside, it seemed like the show was probably going to jump into a bunch of weird mythology stuff instead of just staying with its' primary plane-crash/ survival premise. Â

Â
                  To be honest, there's no way to NOT compare this to Lost. We have a plane crash, survivors trying to pull together to get rescued, hints of a mythology peeking around the corners, multiple timelines. The difference is that Lost, for all its faults, developed compelling, flawed-yet-likeable characters that viewers fell in love with. Yellowjackets doesn't have that; at least, not in my opinion. And, like you, I'm a big fan of all the adult actors. Frankly, though, likeable characters is the least of the show's issues. As for the mythology, in the first two seasons things are touched upon, but not too much.

Comment

[QUOTE=sholloman81;n196158]

Man are you guys giving me some pause on Yellowjackets! I've had the season one Blu-ray on my to-be-watched pile for a while, but something keeps holding me back from popping it in which is weird since I'm a big fan of a lot of the lead actors. If I had to try to put a finger on my hesitation, I guess it would be that I was getting major Lost vibes in the sense that, from the outside, it seemed like the show was probably going to jump into a bunch of weird mythology stuff instead of just staying with its' primary plane-crash/ survival premise. Â

Â

It's not a terrible show...The premise is solid, the actors, both generations, give great performances....It's just that the writing is often sloppy and stupid. Some of the eye-rollers include things what Shawna's husband was doing meeting a gorgeous blond at a hotel, the fate of the "Reporter" that was haunting the Yellowjackets, the resolution of the murder investigation, and, my favorite, a middle-aged cop who looks like one of The Village People going undercover and dating an underage girl to get information about her mother. In what world would that evidence not be tainted and inadmissable?

Interesting premise, but as the second season rolled on, you could tell that the writers were making it up as they went, with no endgame in mind.
                    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm a little late on getting to this show, but I just watched The Bear on Hulu. It's about a rising star high-end chef coming back to Chicago to run the family sandwich shop after his brother dies. This got a lot of hype when it came out and in typical fashion, if something is getting too much buzz, I get rather turned off by it, which was to my detriment because it is one of my favorite shows that I've watched in a long time. I am very excited for season two to come out. As always, your mileage may vary, but I do highly recommend this one if you haven't checked it out yet.
                      The Bear was so GOOD! A co-worker mentioned it to me when we were talking about cooking one day, but I wasn't sure since Hulu called it a comedy. I'm not sure what I'd classify it as, but not purely a comedy. Regardless this show was fantastic! Super stressful at times too! I haven't been that tense watching TV in a long time. Season Two can't get here soon enough!

Comment

Not seeing a lot of buzz, but the AppleTV adaptation of Silo is really good. I love the book series, and was really excited about the show when I heard about it.

My only gripe is that it's really too-CGIy and the sense of scale and people is kind of lost.

I do love how it's the story I'm familiar with from the books, but yet something else entirely all at the same time. It's a very well made adaptation.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          Not seeing a lot of buzz, but the AppleTV adaptation of Silo is really good. I love the book series, and was really excited about the show when I heard about it.

My only gripe is that it's really too-CGIy and the sense of scale and people is kind of lost.

I do love how it's the story I'm familiar with from the books, but yet something else entirely all at the same time. It's a very well made adaptation.
                          I need to check that out. I keep forgetting that I even have AppleTV. I started watching Severance and I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I need to go back and finish it.

Comment

Watched Jury Duty on Amazon Prime and pretty much enjoyed it. For those who don't know, it's a essentially a reality show where one guy believes he's on the jury for a trial, but everyone involved in an actor. James Marsden plays himself in it and I'm actually always really enjoy Marsden in everything he's in, ever since I first saw Gossip in the theaters a very long time ago. Overall, the show is fairly funny and ultimately kinda sweet. The best part is the jury selection process because, for those who haven't had the pleasure, this is pretty much exactly what it's like. My wife works in the court system and we were cracking up.

I also only have four episodes left of Better Call Saul, which I think I'm going to marathon tonight. I'm reserving any comments until I complete the show, but I will say that I have enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X