Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I have been fortunate enough over the last 14 years to be able to pursue my passion for collecting small press specialty books. Due to a crazy, soon to be ex-wife, I find myself in a position to step back from my collecting.

It's a weird moment for me. I am losing two things I love dearly. My wife and collecting books.

Just give me a silent, "Atta, Boy." and I will certainly feel the good vibes rolling in.

She put me in a tough spot which is requiring me to buy her out of the house among other things.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." I'm not a very religious person but I remind myself that a few moments of discomfort will ultimately leave me a better and stronger person and that there is always a path forward either from divine intervention or rainbow farting Unicorns. Pick one.

Either way I will still be around and drooling even more heavily at all of the fantastic new books you folks will be taunting me with.
    I’m really sorry to hear that. I got married the first time really young and we weren’t together more than a couple of years, but the divorce was not easy, emotionally or financially. I don’t know your circumstances, but I do know that with the support of friends and family (and maybe a few visits to the CD forum ) , you’ll get through this. And hopefully a triumphant return to the hobby you enjoy so much. My thoughts are with you, buddy.

Comment

Thank you. It's great to have this friendly and caring little virtual community.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I’m really sorry to hear that. I got married the first time really young and we weren’t together more than a couple of years, but the divorce was not easy, emotionally or financially. I don’t know your circumstances, but I do know that with the support of friends and family (and maybe a few visits to the CD forum ) , you’ll get through this. And hopefully a triumphant return to the hobby you enjoy so much. My thoughts are with you, buddy.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have been fortunate enough over the last 14 years to be able to pursue my passion for collecting small press specialty books. Due to a crazy, soon to be ex-wife, I find myself in a position to step back from my collecting.

It's a weird moment for me. I am losing two things I love dearly. My wife and collecting books.

Just give me a silent, "Atta, Boy." and I will certainly feel the good vibes rolling in.

She put me in a tough spot which is requiring me to buy her out of the house among other things.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." I'm not a very religious person but I remind myself that a few moments of discomfort will ultimately leave me a better and stronger person and that there is always a path forward either from divine intervention or rainbow farting Unicorns. Pick one.

Either way I will still be around and drooling even more heavily at all of the fantastic new books you folks will be taunting me with.
        That sucks, Tim. All you can do is move on, I guess. As John Lennon said,
        “Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”

Comment

I appreciate that.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

That sucks, Tim. All you can do is move on, I guess. As John Lennon said,
          “Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”

Comment

I hope everybody has a nice Fathers Day!

Comment

Thanks. Wife moved out today so that was a good start. LOL.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              I hope everybody has a nice Fathers Day!

Comment

In lieu of a yard sale I have now set-up tables by the road twice with a sign that said free with a box/can which states donations welcomed and appreciated. Both times 90% of items were removed from the tables with zero money put in the box/can.

I'm not upset but I am surprised that no one would drop a buck or two into the box. These items were typical yard sale stuff but nothing nasty, dirty, broken, or gross.

It's an interesting experiment.

Last 4th of July I set up a table with two coolers with a big colorful sign stating free watermelon, water, and soda. Not one person stopped.

Weird world we live in now. Maybe I'm just the weird one. I don't know.

By the way in all examples I stayed in the house to avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable.

Hopefully the folks who took the free stuff put it to good use.

Comment

In lieu of a yard sale I have now set-up tables by the road twice with a sign that said free with a box/can which states donations welcomed and appreciated. Both times 90% of items were removed from the tables with zero money put in the box/can.

I'm not upset but I am surprised that no one would drop a buck or two into the box. These items were typical yard sale stuff but nothing nasty, dirty, broken, or gross.

It's an interesting experiment.

Last 4th of July I set up a table with two coolers with a big colorful sign stating free watermelon, water, and soda. Not one person stopped.

Weird world we live in now. Maybe I'm just the weird one. I don't know.

By the way in all examples I stayed in the house to avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable.

Hopefully the folks who took the free stuff put it to good use.
                  The human condition is an interesting one indeed and it's neat to experiment with it from time to time in a healthy way. I bet if you were actually selling the watermelon, water, and soda, people would actually have stopped. Maybe the being "free" scared them off. Fear of being poisoned and the like.

As far as the yard sale stuff; I think people will take absolutely anything they have no use for just for the fact that it's free. I once lived in a house where the garage was next to an alley. I'd put stuff out there to dispose of later and the next day it would be gone. And not nice stuff either. Stuff that was destined for the dump when I had enough for a truck load. My daughter was young at the time and I told her the Redneck Fairy would come each night to carry the stuff away. Not very nice I know but it was all in good humor between my daughter and I. I never had to go to the dump though .

Comment

I 100% agree with you regarding the watermelon. My guess is people were scared of it and in particular because it was free.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

The human condition is an interesting one indeed and it's neat to experiment with it from time to time in a healthy way. I bet if you were actually selling the watermelon, water, and soda, people would actually have stopped. Maybe the being "free" scared them off. Fear of being poisoned and the like.

As far as the yard sale stuff; I think people will take absolutely anything they have no use for just for the fact that it's free. I once lived in a house where the garage was next to an alley. I'd put stuff out there to dispose of later and the next day it would be gone. And not nice stuff either. Stuff that was destined for the dump when I had enough for a truck load. My daughter was young at the time and I told her the Redneck Fairy would come each night to carry the stuff away. Not very nice I know but it was all in good humor between my daughter and I. I never had to go to the dump though .

Comment

1st world issue but my small riding mower bit the dust today. Went and bought the exact same mower, purchased 4 years ago, for 40% more. Oooff. It was expensive but glad I had the cash to buy this. $1,700 for a 30" riding mower. My have things changed.

Comment

I bought a new Toro mower this Spring, and the opening from the well into the bag is so damn small, it inevitably gets clogged if the grass even hints at being lush or damp. I didn’t think that was even something I needed to check. Live and learn.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

You would think this technology would have been perfected by now. It's mowing grass for goodness sake. LOL

Sorry about your poorly designed mower.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          I bought a new Toro mower this Spring, and the opening from the well into the bag is so damn small, it inevitably gets clogged if the grass even hints at being lush or damp. I didn’t think that was even something I needed to check. Live and learn.

Comment

You would think this technology would have been perfected by now. It's mowing grass for goodness sake. LOL

Sorry about your poorly designed mower.

You certainly would think that...it's not rocket science. Oh well, at least now I know what to doublecheck before buying my next mower (which will probably happen sooner rather than later, even though I've only had this one for a short while...the frustration level is only surpassed by the extra time I have to devote to mowing now, since I can only mow a few inches in each pass or it clogs.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

1st world issue but my small riding mower bit the dust today. Went and bought the exact same mower, purchased 4 years ago, for 40% more. Oooff. It was expensive but glad I had the cash to buy this. $1,700 for a 30" riding mower. My have things changed.
                              I bought a Toro Timemaster 30" in 2014 for $1099, and now it's $1499 at Home Depot (1 in stock!). It's running fine, though. I change the oil at the start of each season, and that's about it.

Comment

Left the last book collecting group I was in on FB today. Drama that didn't belong followed by a torrent of hateful misguided activists who think their reaction and replies were so much better and more righteous than the original posters comment.

It was a great reminder why social media truly isn't social and why places like this are so rare and special.

I am so thankful this forum is still up and running.

Comment

Working...
                                X