No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To sell on eBay now, you must use their Managed Payments process, which requires giving them your SS #.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      For those who haven’t heard, the tax-reporting threshold for seller funds transacted through eBay, et al will drop from this year’s $20,000 minimum to $600 next year. If you want to moderate any of that tax burden, be prepared to show your original purchase price for each and every item.

I suspect this will take a lot of private-party aftermarket sellers out of the game...who wants to hassle with that? My selling days will be largely over. Best be prepared for a skimpy private-party aftermarket selection starting next year, which means more buyer competition and higher prices/auctions. Given that many of us get a large chunk of our books this way, the future looks rough for our hobby.
      The drop from $20,000 to $600 is crazy. I understand wanting to close that gap, but that's a huge change. In my opinion the $600 threshold is ridiculously low. It was hard to break even with a book on eBay before, but now this will really sap out the profit. I foresee eBay getting hit pretty hard with casual sellers looking for different platforms and ways to sell their books to avoid this. What a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        To sell on eBay now, you must use their Managed Payments process, which requires giving them your SS #.
        That makes more sense, so eBay will be the only issuer of 1099 forms related to eBay sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

That makes more sense, so eBay will be the only issuer of 1099 forms related to eBay sales.
          Correct -- that's my understanding. I have no idea how PayPal and Venmo and et al are going to handle it -- if at all -- for other transactions, but sales via eBay (and through their Managed Payments system) will be tracked and reported as taxable to the IRS by eBay, with the 1099 forms to follow from eBay.

Comment

I have never bought from Folio Society before. Does their new edition of Misery seem worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Eric Vornoff View Post
              I have never bought from Folio Society before. Does their new edition of Misery seem worthwhile?
              Hmm, not to me, but I do have the Suntup edition. If I didn't have that, then I'd probably have bought the Folio edition. I think they could have done more with it. The style of the book is very much in line with what they did for The Shining - too much so, in my opinion. The writing on the inside of the cover boards was a great idea for The Shining, but I don't think it has any relevance here.

For $90, it's not bad. If you don't want to spend whatever the Suntup edition costs these days, then this is your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Hmm, not to me, but I do have the Suntup edition. If I didn't have that, then I'd probably have bought the Folio edition. I think they could have done more with it. The style of the book is very much in line with what they did for The Shining - too much so, in my opinion. The writing on the inside of the cover boards was a great idea for The Shining, but I don't think it has any relevance here.

For $90, it's not bad. If you don't want to spend whatever the Suntup edition costs these days, then this is your best option.
                Thanks, the Suntup is out of price range so I guess I'll get this and their The Road together.

Comment

I recently purchased two Ace Doubles.I've read three or four Ace Doubles so when I saw the size (Thickness) of these two I was slighltly awed. I swear I've not before run across two so thick. They are D-123 and D-129. I just noticed these are Double Novel Books and I know I've not seen this unique logo on the Ace Doubles I have read. Were there two separate imprints? I've previously read that more than a few of the Ace Doubles that say Complete and Unabridged on the cover were in fact far from being complete and unabridged and some authors spoke up about this issue.

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                    I recently purchased two Ace Doubles.I've read three or four Ace Doubles so when I saw the size (Thickness) of these two I was slighltly awed. I swear I've not before run across two so thick. They are D-123 and D-129. I just noticed these are Double Novel Books and I know I've not seen this unique logo on the Ace Doubles I have read. Were there two separate imprints? I've previously read that more than a few of the Ace Doubles that say Complete and Unabridged on the cover were in fact far from being complete and unabridged and some authors spoke up about this issue.

Cap
                    There were different colors according to genre — westerns green, mysteries yellow, sci-fi in both red and blue, etc. — and different styles of the ACE logo within each according to age and other parameters. To be up-to-date on the specifics of the line, this is a great resource, though its focus is largely on the mystery portion:
                    0081BFCB-76AD-4C3F-B1E9-DA492C28A49D.jpeg

Comment

So it appears that I am losing my mind. CD has had a sold out book in stock for a while just waiting to ship. It is a book I wanted but thought I had missed the initial order period. My plan was to wait until it had shipped and ask if they had any additional copies available. It would appear that I had ordered it as I just received a shipping notice. Good for me, planning ahead!

Comment

Not sure if anyone can relate but I have struggled with Suntup for many months now. I really like their books but they are just not in my budget. I have bought several AE's now, and really wanted to hang with them, but finally have to admit I cannot continue down this road.

The reality is 2-3 AE's at that price point is what I can afford per year while still enjoying collecting other books. Buying several of them have prevented me from purchasing other books I would have liked to have ordered.

Anyway blathering over and I will move back into a more comfortable collecting zone for me.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have a friend who had to finally get off the whole numbered "train" with them. Spending $600 a month on a book (and having close to $5k wrapped in books that haven't shipped for awhile there) was impossible to maintain.

I know that everyone's financial situations are different, but at that cost I'm not sure how a regular person was supposed to hang on. Plus the secondary market seems to have dried up - hell, even Replay took a long time to sell out and quite a few copies were available to the general public. I kind of wonder if that bubble has burst.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                            Not sure if anyone can relate but I have struggled with Suntup for many months now. I really like their books but they are just not in my budget. I have bought several AE's now, and really wanted to hang with them, but finally have to admit I cannot continue down this road.

The reality is 2-3 AE's at that price point is what I can afford per year while still enjoying collecting other books. Buying several of them have prevented me from purchasing other books I would have liked to have ordered.

Anyway blathering over and I will move back into a more comfortable collecting zone for me.
                            I can relate as I’m sure others can as well. It’s hard to fit everything that one would like to purchase into a budget that works for one’s finances. As pricier and pricier editions become the norm, the quantity of books one can purchase diminishes. Every choice you make is a choice against something else.

I backed away from Suntup pretty quickly as I couldn’t play in that sandbox and continue purchasing from Centipede, even if all I would purchase were AEs. $125-$150 per book isn’t cheap. I’d love to be able to get all their AEs, but not at the cost of curtailing my other purchases. It’s hard, because the books are nice and FOMO is strong in our hobby.

Be happy with your purchases because in the end, all of this should be fun. Then scour the heck out of the aftermarket looking for good deals. Getting a good deal on a book you want is almost more fun than buying the book on the first day it’s offered.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              I have a friend who had to finally get off the whole numbered "train" with them. Spending $600 a month on a book (and having close to $5k wrapped in books that haven't shipped for awhile there) was impossible to maintain.

I know that everyone's financial situations are different, but at that cost I'm not sure how a regular person was supposed to hang on. Plus the secondary market seems to have dried up - hell, even Replay took a long time to sell out and quite a few copies were available to the general public. I kind of wonder if that bubble has burst.
                              I think “the train” will eventually be a thing of the past. People will come and go, but minimal people will be in for the long haul.

I don’t think the bubble has burst as I don’t see a lot of Suntup’s going for under issue price, but the market is normalizing. 1000 copies for an AE is a lot. If you want one, you can find one.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I already fell better about setting appropriate boundaries for me and Suntup.
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X