No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your thoughts. You all have pretty much summed up and validated my feelings on the matter. I think I'll try to find an independent bookstore to work with to unload the books that eBayers don't seem to want.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I have the exact same feelings about Half Price Books. Had a bad selling experience with them some years back and decided never again. Between direct purchases and various grab bags, I somehow had three copies of the gift edition of "Riding the Bullet" that was published by lonely road books. I decided that I would take one of the copies to half price books to sell hoping that I would get fair value for it. I think they ended up offering me seven dollars for it. Due to having multiple copies, not enough shelf space at the time, and my own stupidity, I reluctantly sold them the book (and instantly felt bad about it). I came into the store a week later and they had the book in their collectibles display case and had priced it at seventy-five dollars (I believe it sold almost as soon as it was put out on display). I instantly felt like I had been bamboozled by them and told myself never again. Due to this bad experience, I rarely go to HPB anymore, and when I do, much like Ron, it is only to browse or buy.
      I am sure glad I live in Powell's country. Several years ago I received a duplicate copy of Taverns of the Dead. It was marked PC and the slipcase had significant scuffing on the back. Book retailed for $150. Took it to Powell's and the offered $75 cash and more for store credit. Took the store credit. About a week later I was browsing the rare book room and that exact copy was for sale at $150. I was able to enjoy the fact that a book I sold them was in the rare book room without feeling ripped off. Powell's is very upfront with the amounts they offer so I know they would price it at $150 but this was the first time I could actually see that they honored that. A few months later I received another PC copy of the same book. I took it to Powell's and rather than offering me a lower price they declined to purchase it. They actually told me they had purchased one and were having trouble selling it. I almost told them it was because they were asking full retail for a book with a damaged slipcase and the new one I had was not damaged. I think I may still have that copy. When You bring a book into Powell's that they will not buy they have an area you can place them for donation, they also tell you that you can donate them to local charities. I have sold books to Powell's for many years and have never felt like they were anything but fair.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        Thank you all for your thoughts. You all have pretty much summed up and validated my feelings on the matter. I think I'll try to find an independent bookstore to work with to unload the books that eBayers don't seem to want.
        Libraries aren't a bad option either if you're just looking to unload them.

Comment

Last Tuesday I found that my car's hood had a tree branch bounce off the hood and this caused a minor dent in my car's hood. I'm debating if I should have the dent repaired, it's a minor dent really. A windstorm started on Jan.18 and that is what caused the tree branch to fall.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
            Last Tuesday I found that my car's hood had a tree branch bounce off the hood and this caused a minor dent in my car's hood. I'm debating if I should have the dent repaired, it's a minor dent really. A windstorm started on Jan.18 and that is what caused the tree branch to fall.

Cap
            What is your deductible? I've driven dented cars for years with no adverse issues LOl!!

Comment

Well here in SW Washington I am under my first winter storm warning in over 3 years. Started yesterday at at noon and is expected to run through Sunday evening. The original forecast was for 8 to 12 inches of snow. It now looks like it will be less. Snow came in last night with strong winds coming out of the gorge. I think I am at about a 3 inch accumulation but it is hard to tell. Last night I had sustained winds of near 20 with gusts around 35 so open areas have less snow and areas that stopped the wind have more. Wind is now calm and the snow is picking up. It is a heavy snowfall but a very fine snow. Good news is that it is just snow up here. Hearing that south of the Columbia it has been a mix of snow and freezing rain. Happy I do not have to leave the house and I can just watch the storm out the window!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Well here in SW Washington I am under my first winter storm warning in over 3 years. Started yesterday at at noon and is expected to run through Sunday evening. The original forecast was for 8 to 12 inches of snow. It now looks like it will be less. Snow came in last night with strong winds coming out of the gorge. I think I am at about a 3 inch accumulation but it is hard to tell. Last night I had sustained winds of near 20 with gusts around 35 so open areas have less snow and areas that stopped the wind have more. Wind is now calm and the snow is picking up. It is a heavy snowfall but a very fine snow. Good news is that it is just snow up here. Hearing that south of the Columbia it has been a mix of snow and freezing rain. Happy I do not have to leave the house and I can just watch the storm out the window!
                Here in NW Washington we're under the same warning, though so far it's been relatively quiet, but we've lived here long enough to not be lulled into a false sense of security. We had perhaps an inch of snow when I woke up this morning and really hasn't done much since (and our home is at a comparatively high elevation), and hopefully it'll stay that way. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get hit by a deluge of snow...you just never know how these things are going to work out around here.

I'm probably cursing myself and my neighbors by showing this and scoffing at the light snowfall we've had thus far (as compared to what was forecast), but I'll take my chances. Here is a pic from several blocks south of me as of a few minutes ago:

traffic.JPG
                Last edited by RonClinton; 02-12-2021, 11:00 PM.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Here in NW Washington we're under the same warning, though so far it's been relatively quiet, but we've lived here long enough to not be lulled into a false sense of security. We had perhaps an inch of snow when I woke up this morning and really hasn't done much since (and our home is at a comparatively high elevation), and hopefully it'll stay that way. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get hit by a deluge of snow...you just never know how these things are going to work out around here.

I'm probably cursing myself and my neighbors by showing this and scoffing at the light snowfall we've had thus far (as compared to what was forecast), but I'll take my chances. Here is a pic from several blocks south of me as of a few minutes ago:

traffic.JPG
                  They are lowering the estimates down here. With that said they are now predicting 5 to 8 inched here and I am over 4 now. Light snow continues. This photo is about 3 miles from me.
                  205vc02830.jpg

Comment

Yikes -- yeah, you have more than we do at the moment. I'll post another photo from up north here if things get interesting.

Comment

We have a chain that reminds me of a second class Half Price Books here called 2nd and Charles. My biggest gripe is that I don't know what things cost. Some used books are clearly marked down, whereas most of their used books appear to still be full retail. I suppose I could ask but it shouldn't be that hard.

I do sell to them quite often and while they do ultimately give pennies on the dollar, they do increase their cash offer by 50% (I believe) for in-store trade. That reminds me, we still have trade credit with them but it's under my WA license (I finally got my CO license last summer after living here for 18 months - AND I just got my CO license plates after being here for two years . . .)

Weather - we don't have the moisture, but we do have the cold. Today the high was 10, the low was 0 (well -0 as my phone told me!) Saturday we are looking at 7 and -3, and then Sunday 5 and -8. Way too damn cold to be outside.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        Yikes -- yeah, you have more than we do at the moment. I'll post another photo from up north here if things get interesting.
                        Just tuned in to local news to see what is going on. South of Portland rain, Portland freezing rain, Vancouver snow. As long as the freezing stays south I am good.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          We have a chain that reminds me of a second class Half Price Books here called 2nd and Charles. My biggest gripe is that I don't know what things cost. Some used books are clearly marked down, whereas most of their used books appear to still be full retail. I suppose I could ask but it shouldn't be that hard.

I do sell to them quite often and while they do ultimately give pennies on the dollar, they do increase their cash offer by 50% (I believe) for in-store trade. That reminds me, we still have trade credit with them but it's under my WA license (I finally got my CO license last summer after living here for 18 months - AND I just got my CO license plates after being here for two years . . .)

Weather - we don't have the moisture, but we do have the cold. Today the high was 10, the low was 0 (well -0 as my phone told me!) Saturday we are looking at 7 and -3, and then Sunday 5 and -8. Way too damn cold to be outside.
                          Compared to you it is downright balmy here. 25 degrees and with wind chill feels like 15. Just saw a pissed off Hummingbird, first time the feeders have frozen this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Compared to you it is downright balmy here. 25 degrees and with wind chill feels like 15. Just saw a pissed off Hummingbird, first time the feeders have frozen this winter.
                            The temperature swing is interesting. Today it now shows high of 7 and low of -6. Next Saturday has a high of 49 and a low of 27. At least this time it's a week - one day last year in a 24 hour period the temperature swing was something like 70.

I saw some pics from a buddy in Gig Harbor (and my brother lives in Tacoma, MIL in Covington) - getting some good amounts of snow out that way.

Be safe every one.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

The temperature swing is interesting. Today it now shows high of 7 and low of -6. Next Saturday has a high of 49 and a low of 27. At least this time it's a week - one day last year in a 24 hour period the temperature swing was something like 70.

I saw some pics from a buddy in Gig Harbor (and my brother lives in Tacoma, MIL in Covington) - getting some good amounts of snow out that way.

Be safe every one.
                              I saw on the news that Tacoma was getting hit pretty hard. Unfortunately overnight I was awakened twice by heavy sleet hitting my window. That was after heavy snow that started around 8. I was using a wind protected table to estimate my snow. That table now looks like an upside cone of snow coated in ice. At its peak it is about 8 inches but I really have no clue how thick the ice is. Accu weather lists my neighborhood at 9.9 inches of snow. Around 300,000 without power from the ice, most south of here in Oregon where some areas received over 1/2 inch freezing rain. Received two texts from my office this morning stating they had no power and were on generator and the second stating that Portland had told them it would be a lengthy outage. They have shifted to partial power and are now telling us not to go into the office. I haven't actually been there in 6 months.

Comment

The wind has been bad so have drifts against portions of the house a couple feet deep. True accumulation, based on our back porch and a side door I had to open to get to a plastic shed to grab a shovel, is around six inches. It's still coming down, albeit more of a snow mist than flakes.

Here's the view right now from that same shot I posted yesterday...it doesn't really tell the tale, but it's obviously a lot whiter.

camera.JPG
                                Last edited by RonClinton; 02-13-2021, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X