No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Very interesting. I'd never heard of Black Lizard books. Those covers are striking.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Black Lizard was my gateway drug to all things noir, as well.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Book Scouting today. Thought I'd post a few pictures. Started with breakfast. Hit a few thrift stores and Mckay Brothers bookstore.20170512_092942.jpg
        20170512_082223.jpg20170512_093234.jpg20170512_094844.jpg20170512_095735.jpg20170512_104733.jpg

Comment

And this is what I found not much, but I was home by lunch. Had a nice day.
          20170512_132829.jpg

Comment

If you're anything like me and bookstores are your drug, I'm pretty sure you would've had a nice day even if you came back empty-handed. It's always exciting and satisfying to find something, but for me the destination, the hunt, is what makes any book scouting day a good day indeed.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              And this is what I found not much, but I was home by lunch. Had a nice day.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19612[/ATTACH]
              I've read the first three Erikson book. Great writing, amazing ideas, but a tough read. He drops you in there and never really explains some stuff. He said he wrote it as if the reader already knew the world. A tough read of a series so far, but well worth it.

Comment

The spoils may have been smaller than hoped, but even a bad day spent book shopping is better than a good day spent at work!

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                If you're anything like me and bookstores are your drug, I'm pretty sure you would've had a nice day even if you came back empty-handed. It's always exciting and satisfying to find something, but for me the destination, the hunt, is what makes any book scouting day a good day indeed.
                It's true. I love spending time in book stores and perusing used book shelves at thrift shops. I like to have the time set aside for it and not feel rushed.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                I've read the first three Erikson book. Great writing, amazing ideas, but a tough read. He drops you in there and never really explains some stuff. He said he wrote it as if the reader already knew the world. A tough read of a series so far, but well worth it.
                I've read his first two, and I would agree about him having amazing ideas, not sure I would say they had great writing. Actually they came across a bit amateurish to me, and not just because he drops you in the plot with little explanation. I actually liked that. His philosophy is that there's no real beginning to history, you're always jumping in halfway, and essentially that's what his series was meant to be, in a way, a history of Malazan. I've also heard his writing becomes more honed in later books.

Comment

I would love to see Centipede do a nice copy of Watership Down. Sometimes I pick up my copy and just flip to the end......

Comment

I would love to see Centipede do a nice copy of Watership Down. Sometimes I pick up my copy and just flip to the end......
                    I've had that in my TBR pile for years but I keep passing over it. I just keep thinking about the cartoon and that thing messed me up as a kid. The Plague Dogs also look like a good read.

Comment

Yes please. This would be spectacular. I keep thinking about picking up one of the illustrated versions.

I just finished reading this for the second time. The first part felt really off to me (I don't remember it feeling like that the first time I read it,) but it picked up later and I found more to love. Now I need to rewatch the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        Yes please. This would be spectacular. I keep thinking about picking up one of the illustrated versions.

I just finished reading this for the second time. The first part felt really off to me (I don't remember it feeling like that the first time I read it,) but it picked up later and I found more to love. Now I need to rewatch the movie.
                        I could recommend the Penguin Books/Kestrel Books 1976 edition, Illustrated by John Lawrence. Beautiful book and as an added bonus it comes with a slipcase and it's not too pricey, you can find it on ABE for about $20.00.
                        Last edited by mhatchett; 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I could recommend the Penguin Books/Kestrel Books 1976 edition, Illustrated by John Lawrence. Beautiful book and as an added bonus it comes with a slipcase and it's not too pricey, you can find it on ABE for about $20.00.
                          I did have an illustrated copy of this book way way back. If I recall, it was wider than it was tall. My sister and me looked at it quite a bit if I remember correctly. I remember it being very dark (lots of black) and the pages were glossy.....?

Upon consulting with our best friend google.ca, I have confirmed that the one I had as a child was the film picture book - hardcover.
                          Last edited by TJCams; 06-05-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Here is a cool article about horror fiction, focusing on Stephen King:
                            http://www.tor.com/2017/06/05/someti...derstands-you/

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              Here is a cool article about horror fiction, focusing on Stephen King:
                              http://www.tor.com/2017/06/05/someti...derstands-you/
                              That was a great article! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Happy 4th all and Sundry!!

Comment

Working...
                                X