No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This doesn't help, sorry- but I had that and then just sent a check for the shipping.

Comment

This is what it looks like when I step out my front door.DSC04323.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
        Hi Brian or Dan, I just tried to check out using the coupon code from the Revival Slipcase email update that went out yesterday and I get the message that I cannot use Paypal to pay when the subtotal is $0, but my total is not $0 because shipping is $7, can anyone help with this please? thanks!
        You'll have to finish checking out by selecting CHECK and entering 0001 for the check number. Then just reply to your order confirmation email to let Mindy know you need a PayPal invoice to pay for shipping. When the total before shipping is $0, PayPal doesn't see anything to process. Why their system isn't "seeing" the shipping charge is something our tech folks have never been able to explain, unfortunately.

Brian
        Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
        My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Thank you Brian!

Comment

Does anybody remember the John Norman's Gor books? I read them like crazy when I was a kid. Later as an adult, I realized they were chock full of SM and Domination themes. But man, the Fantasy element was pretty good. My favorite one was the Assassian of Gor. The artwork was pretty cool too.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              Does anybody remember the John Norman's Gor books? I read them like crazy when I was a kid. Later as an adult, I realized they were chock full of SM and Domination themes. But man, the Fantasy element was pretty good. My favorite one was the Assassian of Gor. The artwork was pretty cool too.
              Mike
              Never read those, I think they may have actually been banned in Canada eventually, which is messed up if true, since I don't really know of much that gets censored here. Always wanted to check one or two out. I have been reading fantasy novels since I can remember, they were my first love when it came to independent reading as a child. I still like to read many of the seminal works of fantasy, even if they don't hold up as well now. It's interesting to see the influence they may have had on the genre.

Edit: Nevermind, they weren't banned here, it was a Graphic novel that was in the works, which apparently had been kiboshed due to publication laws here. Which ones, I don't know.
              Last edited by Theli; 02-20-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Brian, just an FYI, the yellow slipcase that fits World War Z also fits The Prophet by Michael Koryta and Pure by Julianna Baggott

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                  Hey Brian, just an FYI, the yellow slipcase that fits World War Z also fits The Prophet by Michael Koryta and Pure by Julianna Baggott
                  Thank you!
                  Brian James Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    Mike
                    Funny you should mention those. After not thinking of them for decades, I posted something about them a few weeks ago. At the risk of appearing lazy, I'll just copy and paste:

". . . a series of books I read when I was a teen that upon reflection I see now I really didn't "get" at the time. Whether that's because I'm now older and wiser...or now a father of daughters...or our present era is more culturally aware, more PC, than the late '70s and early '80s...or was just blessed with a large dose of naivety in my youth...or a combination of some or all of the above.

But when I was in my early to mid teens (mostly middle school, so 7th to 9th grade, or ages 13 to 15), I read a good number of John Norman's Gor books. Looking now at the Wikipedia page for them, I read probably the first dozen of the series. Glorious in their Boris Vallejo-painted covers, I saw them as a kid in the pulp era likely saw Edgar Rice Burroughs' tales -- full of sword and sorcery and intriguing customs and subcultures, with compelling warrior heroes who were earthmen transported to thrilling alien planets to engage in wild adventures and planetary romances and battle sinister alien villains...you get the drill.

I was reminded of these books a while back and so sought out information on them out of nostalgia -- and was immediately struck by reports of the liberal S&M sexual content that runs rampant throughout this series ( where's the wild-eyes emoticon when you need it?? ). It's not even thinly veiled, and yet I just apparently didn't "get" that aspect of the books in my younger days...yes, it was clear to me even back then that the series' males were dominant in the culture and the women slaves, but I guess I just took it at face value and chalked it up to the setting being an alien culture. I'd like to think now that the books can be read either way...but I think I'm giving the younger me too much benefit of the doubt. Hard to believe I was that oblivious, that innocent, where all I saw was the adventure of the tale.

So, no, it's not a series that, as per the [other forum's] question, I learned to appreciate in my older days...but it's certainly one with context that I came to understand in my older days -- an understanding that I oh so clearly lacked in my young teenage days, even with whips, chains with collars, female slave auctions and branding, and pleasure slaves included by Norman in gleeful abundance. Guess it's sometimes best to not revisit fond childhood memories with adult sensibilities...

Good thing the potential for warping young minds is not as easy as some would lead us to believe....between Norman’s Gor books, horror comics and mags and films, and a steady diet of Stephen King, I should’ve been one messed-up kid. But I wasn’t...for the most part. ;-) "
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

RC - I hear ya! I was born in 1973 and same for me - all horror films (some sci-fi too), although sadly...not much of a reader in my younger days, but horror movies whenever possible, especially at home during summer break.... Even now, my wife sometimes gives me an odd look when she sees some of the books on my shelf. Would gladly take that over the stuff that happen with today's teens and the issues that I have seen with my now 16yr old daughter related to stuff like facebook, etc.

Comment

I just got a CD shipping notice that didn't say what shipped! Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                          I got a shipping notice for my Early readers Club order.

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                            We accidentally shipped some of the "Early Readers Bundle" from last September to people who ordered the Cemetery Dance Early Readers Club 7 in 2012. We're fixing the mistake in our system. If someone bought both deals and the "Early Readers Bundle" books already went out the door, we'll just mark your "Early Readers Bundle" as filled. If you didn't buy the "Early Readers Bundle," enjoy the free books. If you bought the "Early Readers Bundle" and nothing has shipped to you, we're fixing the orders and shipping them as soon as we can. Thanks!

Brian
                            Brian James Freeman

Comment

I got my notice today and fifty minutes later they showed up at my door, pretty sweet selection. I was mistaken and thought it was supposed to be five but I received four, been so long since I ordered I forgot what the original announcement said.

Comment

Just realized I copied, pasted and saved the announcement. It did say FOUR readers and FIVE $10 coupon codes, forgot all about that part. Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                                X