X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmaduke Grigsby
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

How did eBay get your SS# to issue a 1099-K?
    The 1099-K was from PayPal. You have to provide your SS# to them to use PayPal as a seller.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Illinois reduced the threshold to $600 last year and I was unaware of it until I got a surprise 1099-K for in the mail from PayPal.

I had to go back and try to itemize all of my purchases ad expenses, and fortunately I was able to accomplish that so I didn't have to pay taxes on my roughly $10,000 in PayPal funds received. The unfortunate part was that my wife then saw how much I spent on books and comics.

I will now try to use eBay and PayPal a lot less, but it does hamper my selling ability to do that. It is a Catch 22.
    How did eBay get your SS# to issue a 1099-K?

Leave a comment:

• Marmaduke Grigsby
    replied
    Illinois reduced the threshold to $600 last year and I was unaware of it until I got a surprise 1099-K in the mail from PayPal.

I had to go back and try to itemize all of my purchases and expenses, and fortunately I was able to accomplish that so I didn't have to pay taxes on my roughly $10,000 in PayPal funds received. The unfortunate part was that my wife then saw how much I spent on books and comics.

I will now try to use eBay and PayPal a lot less, but it does hamper my selling ability to do that. It is a Catch 22.
    Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 05-21-2021, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    For those who haven’t heard, the tax-reporting threshold for seller funds transacted through eBay, et al will drop from this year’s $20,000 minimum to $600 next year. If you want to moderate any of that tax burden, be prepared to show your original purchase price for each and every item.

I suspect this will take a lot of private-party aftermarket sellers out of the game...who wants to hassle with that? My selling days will be largely over. Best be prepared for a skimpy private-party aftermarket selection starting next year, which means more buyer competition and higher prices/auctions. Given that many of us get a large chunk of our books this way, the future looks rough for our hobby.
    I believe it will lead to a lot fewer listings on eBay and more sales from forums like this with 'Friends and Family' and other digital money transfers being used to pay. I also believe it will drive the eBay fees associated with selling up as they will be required to manage the income reporting.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    For those who haven’t heard, the tax-reporting threshold for seller funds transacted through eBay, et al will drop from this year’s $20,000 minimum to $600 next year. If you want to moderate any of that tax burden, be prepared to show your original purchase price for each and every item.

I suspect this will take a lot of private-party aftermarket sellers out of the game...who wants to hassle with that? My selling days will be largely over. Best be prepared for a skimpy private-party aftermarket selection starting next year, which means more buyer competition and higher prices/auctions. Given that many of us get a large chunk of our books this way, the future looks rough for our hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It's always a bummer when you have to pass on a book due to funds. I have a few pre-orders in that need to be paid for soon and I just don't want to use credit.
    I can sure relate to that.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    It's always a bummer when you have to pass on a book due to funds. I have a few pre-orders in that need to be paid for soon and I just don't want to use credit.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    you might find some interesting Authors on this site. Bob Leman has a nice write up.
    http://desturmobed.blogspot.com/sear...&max-results=7

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

I had some pretty good shots of the kids bikes and the abandoned restaurant prop. I also had crew working and some giant fans on the backs of semis that I am pretty sure they never had to use. It is windy up there about 360 days a year. I may still stumble upon them but I suspect they are gone.
    I know all about the wind lol

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Still pretty cool looking. I can only image how good the original looked.
    I had some pretty good shots of the kids bikes and the abandoned restaurant prop. I also had crew working and some giant fans on the backs of semis that I am pretty sure they never had to use. It is windy up there about 360 days a year. I may still stumble upon them but I suspect they are gone.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Still pretty cool looking. I can only image how good the original looked.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.
    I believe this is the only remaining photo from the set of Goonies and it is a scan of a weathered print.
    Goonies.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

Many are lost and most that remain are on ektachrome slides. I am planning to have the slides converted to digital at some point and I can share them at that time. The bad news is that the slides from the time I stumbled on the filming of Goonies appear to be lost. Boy, I wish I still had those. I also still have a pretty good collection of Cokin slides. Once I get an adapter to allow them to fit the current camera I will get more creative.

I do have a personal website. it is currently fully dedicated to my wife. At some point I will probably start sharing both old and new photos there.
    Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

I'd love to see them if you have a way of sharing.
    Many are lost and most that remain are on ektachrome slides. I am planning to have the slides converted to digital at some point and I can share them at that time. The bad news is that the slides from the time I stumbled on the filming of Goonies appear to be lost. Boy, I wish I still had those. I also still have a pretty good collection of Cokin slides. Once I get an adapter to allow them to fit the current camera I will get more creative.

I do have a personal website. it is currently fully dedicated to my wife. At some point I will probably start sharing both old and new photos there.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

I took some spectacular photos back in the late 70s early 80s. The plan is to get back to what I did then. I am not even close at this point.
    I'd love to see them if you have a way of sharing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X