No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it works...... nice!!!!!! Oh the chuckles I used to get on that site.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone here who has family in Boston.

Comment

That was some severely messed up shit that went down. The location seems like an odd choice, I guess it is a big event, but it normally seems to be buildings that get bombed. This was a truly catastrophic event, but we should count ourselves lucky so few people were actually killed. We will see when more evidence comes to light as to who the perpetrators are, but I have the feeling it is not an outside terrorist attack, but most likely an American citizen. On top of that it just started to seem like the American psyche had finally recovered from the events of 9/11, and now people will be afraid to go to a simple life affirming events such as marathons. My thoughts and sympathies go out to everyone affected.

Comment

12 years ago, I was a first-responder in the military. Now I feel pretty helpless.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Somebody posted a pic of the various cover arts to Christine somewhere on this forum. Does anybody remember where. I can't find it...
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Can't tell ya, but that just made me think of the preview I saw for Carrie tonight. It will be glorious.

Comment

Scratch that i do know where that picture is. It's in the Reader or Collector thread in the Collection section.
                Even bumped it for ya.
                Last edited by Theli; 04-17-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

For anyone interested, Tomas at skcollector just told me that he's received a new shipment of 11/22/63 traycases that will be posted for sale next week.

http://skcollector.com/slipcase/112263.html

Comment

I have several dust jackets that I would like to put in mylar covers to prevent scuffing of the jackets but I'm afraid I'll mess up. Is this difficult? Is there a preferred brand?
                      I've noticed that there are some with paper backing (the DJ is sandwiched between the clear mylar and paper) and others that just wrap around the exterior of the DJ (like the cover on the S/L of Cujo). What are the advantages of each? I am leaning toward the mylar-only to eliminate the added bulk of the paper but haven't decided.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                        I have several dust jackets that I would like to put in mylar covers to prevent scuffing of the jackets but I'm afraid I'll mess up. Is this difficult? Is there a preferred brand?
                        I've noticed that there are some with paper backing (the DJ is sandwiched between the clear mylar and paper) and others that just wrap around the exterior of the DJ (like the cover on the S/L of Cujo). What are the advantages of each? I am leaning toward the mylar-only to eliminate the added bulk of the paper but haven't decided.
                        I also have been looking into starting to do this. Went into our only local bookstore and asked about broadart covers, she looked at me like I asked if they had flying monkeys. She had no idea what I was talking about. However my follow up question to subies inquiry is you folks who have experience with this do you use the bone folder and have you ever messed up a dust cover in the process?
                        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

I have nearly all of my hardcover books in mylar and I don't know what a bone folder is, so there ya go on that point, secondly, I would recommend you pick a used trade hardcover that isn't worth a lot to practice on, I have never messed a cover up before but practice does make it easier and faster once you know what you are doing, I would also recommend using the pre-cut mylar sleeves found on Amazon and other places to start with (a search on Brodart will bring back some good results), once you are comfortable with he process, there are long rolls of the mylar that you can get and cut the exact length you want with an exacto knife

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                            I have nearly all of my hardcover books in mylar and I don't know what a bone folder is, so there ya go on that point, secondly, I would recommend you pick a used trade hardcover that isn't worth a lot to practice on, I have never messed a cover up before but practice does make it easier and faster once you know what you are doing, I would also recommend using the pre-cut mylar sleeves found on Amazon and other places to start with (a search on Brodart will bring back some good results), once you are comfortable with he process, there are long rolls of the mylar that you can get and cut the exact length you want with an exacto knife
                            Here's a link to a bone folder
                            http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Polish...=pd_sim_misc_2
                            Last edited by subie09lega; 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

So...here it is late April in Windsor, ON - usually temps in the mid - upper teens °C (50's-upper 60's F for my American friends).... Yes... I saw some snowflakes/sleet mixed with this all day rain we are getting again..... it was 22°C (72 F) yesterday!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                That was some severely messed up shit that went down. The location seems like an odd choice, I guess it is a big event, but it normally seems to be buildings that get bombed. This was a truly catastrophic event, but we should count ourselves lucky so few people were actually killed. We will see when more evidence comes to light as to who the perpetrators are, but I have the feeling it is not an outside terrorist attack, but most likely an American citizen. On top of that it just started to seem like the American psyche had finally recovered from the events of 9/11, and now people will be afraid to go to a simple life affirming events such as marathons. My thoughts and sympathies go out to everyone affected.
                                Just saw this (have been too distracted lately to pay a lot of attention here) and I thought it was also American with no outside direction. And we were right. The bombs themselves made me think that initially (Poorly designed for bombs that were likely meant to kill as many people as possible), and even more evidence to me that it was home-grown was that there was no chatter that intel could detect. I was in Intelligence when in the Army and I know that these people tend to talk to each other when in terrorist organizations and they like to take credit. That is also why I have a theory/hunch/gut feeling about 9/11 that is slightly different than the official story
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X