No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My house is 75 currently and I am miserable. In the summer months I have the thermostat set to never let the house get above 68. The reason I set it to 68 is because the A/C freezes up of you set it below that. I learned that the hard way. In the winter I will generally keep the house about 65 with the heat off overnight. For me 65 to 68 is comfortable and I start feeling cold below 60. Anything above 68 is uncomfortable. I may get some extra reading in tonight as I doubt that I will be able to get to sleep until the A/C has the chance to lower the temp a few degrees. The car I bought last year has air conditioned seats. I may still go for a drive tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      My house is 75 currently and I am miserable. In the summer months I have the thermostat set to never let the house get above 68. The reason I set it to 68 is because the A/C freezes up of you set it below that. I learned that the hard way. In the winter I will generally keep the house about 65 with the heat off overnight. For me 65 to 68 is comfortable and I start feeling cold below 60. Anything above 68 is uncomfortable. I may get some extra reading in tonight as I doubt that I will be able to get to sleep until the A/C has the chance to lower the temp a few degrees. The car I bought last year has air conditioned seats. I may still go for a drive.
      75 degrees? In the spirit of It Can Always Be Worse: It’s going to be 100+ degrees today (Sun.) and 110 tomorrow, and we do not have air conditioning in our Seattle-area home. We have one small standing portable A/C unit that helps keep our family room somewhat bearable, but even it concedes defeat much past 90 or 95. I honestly have no idea how I’m going to get through tomorrow.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

In our brief stint in Germany there was about a week in the high 90's to low 100's. Our rental had no A/C.

We rented a hotel room for a few* nights and spent a lot of time at stores with A/C. The local mall was a nice way to soak up some time and A/C.

*Actually only one night. Day two their A/C went out. They did not want to give us a discount so we went home.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

75 degrees? In the spirit of It Can Always Be Worse: It’s going to be 100+ degrees today (Sun.) and 110 tomorrow, and we do not have air conditioning in our Seattle-area home. We have one small standing portable A/C unit that helps keep our family room somewhat bearable, but even it concedes defeat much past 90 or 95. I honestly have no idea how I’m going to get through tomorrow.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Well we peaked yesterday with a new all time high of 108. It reached 78 in the house but when the sun went down the A/C started catching up. It was 100 at 9 last night. The forecast is for 115 today and tomorrow with lows about 76. I actually considered going to the beach for a few days when this forecast came out. That quickly changed when I checked and found the beach was forecast for in the 90's. Most hotels on the coast are not air conditioned so I am better off here.

I feel for you Ron. No way in hell I could get through this with a room A/C.

Comment

Thanks, guys — and, Ben, I had indeed thought about a hotel room for a couple days, but being a cheap bastard with an elderly dog that can’t really board well anymore…I’m just going to hunker down and try not to melt over the next two days.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks, guys — and, Ben, I had indeed thought about a hotel room for a couple days, but being a cheap bastard with an elderly dog that can’t really board well anymore…I’m just going to hunker down and try not to melt over the next two days.
              If you have bags of ice, fill a large container or bucket full of ice and then run a fan to push air across it.

Comment

Ice pack for the back of neck helps. Really an ice pack anywhere near a large vein,artery, whatever it's called.

Comment

Great idea. If the humidity isn't high there a swamp cooler would help out a bunch.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

If you have bags of ice, fill a large container or bucket full of ice and then run a fan to push air across it.

Comment

8:30 at night and we have cooled down from a high of 114 to only 110. I never thought I would say this but I am so looking forward to some days in the 90's.

Comment

8:30 at night and we have cooled down from a high of 114 to only 110. I never thought I would say this but I am so looking forward to some days in the 90's.
                      And we've been 10 to 20 below normal for this time of year, I'm sure July and August will more than make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

And we've been 10 to 20 below normal for this time of year, I'm sure July and August will more than make up for it.
                        They are estimating that we will be hotter and dryer than normal all summer. They also do not expect another heat wave like this one, but considering this has never happened before that is probably just betting the odds. Got down to 80 overnight and it has reached 90 before 10:00 AM. Expecting today to threaten the all time high set yesterday. The good news is the the air flow is starting to change. The north coast of Oregon which set all time highs just over 100 yesterday is now in the 60's. They expect that air to begin reaching us around 8:00 tonight and start pushing us to be just 'hot'.

Side note: why had our driest spring yet and now we are expecting an extremely dry summer. After the devastating fires of last summer we are already seeing several fires and it looks like it will be another rough year.

Comment

Glad I have shown some restraint in buying books within my budget. If I would have impulsively bought a certain title I wouldn't have been able to buy two other books which I wanted more. Just patting myself on the back here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                            Glad I have shown some restraint in buying books within my budget. If I would have impulsively bought a certain title I wouldn't have been able to buy two other books which I wanted more. Just patting myself on the back here.
                            Congratulations, isn't it great when plan comes together!

Comment

11:00 AM and 100 degrees. No good will come from this!

Comment

You are getting close to trying a few fun things.

According to the Library of Congress, it's possible, but not probable, that you could fry an egg on a sidewalk during a hot day. Eggs need to reach a temperature of 158*F to cook through. Sidewalks can usually get up to 145*F. The hotter the day, the more likely your egg will fry.

11:00 AM and 100 degrees. No good will come from this!

Comment

Working...
                                X