X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Rebounds hold zero appeal for me. With that said, there is certainly a spectrum of rebound quality...you have the Dragon Rebounds, and then you have folks who slap on new covers of varying quality on old page blocks. But regardless of who is doing it, they come across to me like craft projects, and I have zero interest in someone's craft project. Further, the entire appeal of first editions, of trying to get an edition that is as early and close as possible to the original decisions and preferences of the author and publisher, is lost when someone who has no affiliation with either author or publisher decides to remake the book according to their own whims. It also loses all edition integrity, i.e. it's not a first edition, nor is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. printing...it's something completely removed from the official history of the book.

In short, I really don't like them.
    That's pretty much where I land with them as well. I've also always wondered if there's any sort of copyright or legal issue. I'm assuming that the author or publisher isn't getting any sort of payment or royalties on rebound books.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Rebounds hold zero appeal for me. With that said, there is certainly a spectrum of rebound quality...you have the Dragon Rebounds, and then you have folks who slap on new covers of varying quality on old page blocks. But regardless of who is doing it, they come across to me like craft projects, and I have zero interest in someone's craft project. Further, the entire appeal of first editions, of trying to get an edition that is as early and close as possible to the original decisions and preferences of the author and publisher, is lost when someone who has no affiliation with either author or publisher decides to remake the book according to their own whims. It also loses all edition integrity, i.e. it's not a first edition, nor is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. printing...it's something completely removed from the official history of the book.

In short, I really don't like them.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Noticed in DRP's newsletter that they are offering an exclusive deluxe leather rebinding of IT limited to 100 copies. I don't need another copy of IT as I love my CD version; however, it did get me thinking about rebound books in general, especially when they are "limited" like DRP is doing with IT. Would love to hear other collector's opinions on the topic.
    For me, it depends on who's doing it and the production values. Would I sign up for a Dragon Rebound edition of Christine? Hell yeah. Would I sign up for anything offered by DRP? Sorry, but no, based on other people's past experience. Same goes for Gauntlet or Borderlands. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Noticed in DRP's newsletter that they are offering an exclusive deluxe leather rebinding of IT limited to 100 copies. I don't need another copy of IT as I love my CD version; however, it did get me thinking about rebound books in general, especially when they are "limited" like DRP is doing with IT. Would love to hear other collector's opinions on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Great photo's all. Traveling out West is still on my bucket list. 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Those are great Ron!
    Thanks. Looking forward to getting back there someday soon.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Those are great Ron!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Speaking of desert landscapes, TacomaDiver here are a few shots I took around Scottsdale, Arizona a month or so ago:

rocks.jpg
    cactus.jpg
    river.jpg
    road.jpg
    sunset.jpg

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Thanks Ralph! I appreciate the kind words!

Leave a comment:

• mulleins
    replied

I will never claim to be a photographer, or even claim that I have the slightest idea of what I'm doing. In my mind I'm taking gorgeous OMG shots, but then I look at them on the computer and realize I'm utterly clueless when it comes to pictures.

However, I did take a look at a few shots, and did some minor editing (it's actually kind of fun messing around in Lightroom if I'm honest,) and wanted to share a couple of the first shots I edited.

lp_cactus copy.jpg
    This first one is actually a composite of a handful of other pictures. Focus stacking is kind of a neat trick that I wish I had a better understanding of
    when I began actually taking the pictures.

This second shot is of a tree in the area where we laid my mom to rest. Mostly just experimenting with settings in Lightroom; I'm particularly fond
    of the fact I was able to edit out someone in the background with a few passes of my mouse cursor. That's really slick.
    lp_tree copy.jpg
    That tree shot is AWESOME. Great job.

Ralph

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I'm heading to California for a memorial for my mom at the end of the month. We're going to drive again because it's easier and cheaper than flying. My "new" car will now have driven through 19 different states ones this trip is completed. We'll seeing some beautiful scenery when we visit my home town in the Sierra Nevadas.Â

To get ready for those mountain landscapes, I did some research on landscape photography and bought myself a very nice used wide-angle camera lens. That research also sent me down the rabbit hole of astrophotography which I want to do so badly. But now it makes me want a new camera, but I need to use the one I have first before I go and start buying new ones.Â

Fingers crossed I can get some nice shots.
    I will never claim to be a photographer, or even claim that I have the slightest idea of what I'm doing. In my mind I'm taking gorgeous OMG shots, but then I look at them on the computer and realize I'm utterly clueless when it comes to pictures.

However, I did take a look at a few shots, and did some minor editing (it's actually kind of fun messing around in Lightroom if I'm honest,) and wanted to share a couple of the first shots I edited.

lp_cactus copy.jpg
    This first one is actually a composite of a handful of other pictures. Focus stacking is kind of a neat trick that I wish I had a better understanding of
    when I began actually taking the pictures.

This second shot is of a tree in the area where we laid my mom to rest. Mostly just experimenting with settings in Lightroom; I'm particularly fond
    of the fact I was able to edit out someone in the background with a few passes of my mouse cursor. That's really slick.
    lp_tree copy.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Holy crap am I jealous! I've always wanted to visit each of those bookstores and hope to do so one day...Â
    Every one was a very special and memorable experience...hopefully I'll see each one again someday (Powell's, definitely, as I live somewhat nearby so visit it at least once a year).

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I was excited to visit the famous Poisoned Pen bookstore a short while ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...CUeUjfN8huHsPw
    Holy crap am I jealous!  I've always wanted to visit each of those bookstores and hope to do so one day... 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just found out that Phillip Fracassi is doing an event/signing at my local bookstore in July, The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale AZ. Am so excited and just put in for some afternoon PTO so that I can attend.
    I was excited to visit the famous Poisoned Pen bookstore a short while ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...CUeUjfN8huHsPw

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Just found out that Phillip Fracassi is doing an event/signing at my local bookstore in July, The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale AZ. Am so excited and just put in for some afternoon PTO so that I can attend.
    That's awesome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X