Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Mine are stuck in "pre-shipment" status, so who knows when they will arrive, but happy to have the notice!

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    I will scheduled for Monday. Hoping for Saturday. Only a couple dozen more BVs left. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
    I did. Got my shipping notice yesterday. I had some credit to use.
    Nice! I assumed someone else on the forum had to have. Curious to see what you got if you have an inclination to share upon arrival.

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    I did. Got my shipping notice yesterday. I had some credit to use.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Any jump on CD's recent Out of Print Other Publisher's Grab Bag offered yesterday? I have a bunch of CD credit that I've been waiting to use on something and this felt like a relatively safe bet.
    I guess I'm the only one! I just received my shipping notices, so I'm eager to see what I get.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Every now and then, I like to hop on Scamazon and check out future release dates for books/authors that I enjoy so that I can leave myself reminders for the must-haves. Anyway, today, I happened to notice that on November 12th, "Bright Segments: The Complete Short Fiction of James Sallis" comes out and that it evens has 12 exclusive stories. I'm sure the size of this book is going to be a monster at 864 pages, but I am so excited for this book. James Sallis is one of my all-time favorite crime writers. His prose is just fantastic, and it will be awesome to have his short stuff collected in one place. God, I wish Centipede was doing this book!Â
    I've never heard of him, but I'm intrigued. Also I hope Amazon's dimensions aren't accurate, because at 7.87 x 5.51 x 0.39 inches is going to make for an awkward 800+ page collection.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I am struggling a bit with watching things on new televisions and at the theater. I'm not sure if it's frame rates, 4K HD (or whatever), but whatever the new tech messes with my eyesight.

It's a little bit as if I'm in The Matrix and there are little glitches. I do not have this issue watching things at home on my older television.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I think DRIVE is his best book, and THE KILLER IS DYING is definitely in his Top Five. I would give DRIVEN a pass...as much as I *loved* DRIVE -- and, inevitably, perhaps because of that blinding affection -- I really felt DRIVEN fell far short of the bar established by its prequel. A true disappointment.
    I've read lots of praise for Drive. I was initially turned off due to the movie, which I liked, but don't really feel I need to spend more time in that world. From what I read though, the film and book tend to vary quite a bit, especially in the depiction of the main character. The Killer is Dying sounds really good as well. Thanks for the recommendations. With so many choices, I think I'll just need to pull the trigger on something and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I enjoyed this omnibus volume What You Have Left: The Turner Trilogy (John Turner Series)
    I was eyeballing this one as well. The description, along with it being a convenient omnibus volume, piqued my interest quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

Drive & Driven are probably his most famous recent books as Drive was made into a movie with Ryan Gosling. It truly is a great book and a good place to start. The Killer Is Dying is also a great newer book. I also love his early "Lew Griffin" series of books.
    I enjoyed this omnibus volume What You Have Left: The Turner Trilogy (John Turner Series)

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

That's funny because I was looking at Drive but was really eyeing the Lew Griffin books. I'll check out The Killer is Dying as well. Thanks!
    I think DRIVE is his best book, and THE KILLER IS DYING is definitely in his Top Five. I would give DRIVEN a pass...as much as I *loved* DRIVE -- and, inevitably, perhaps because of that blinding affection -- I really felt DRIVEN fell far short of the bar established by its prequel. A true disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Drive & Driven are probably his most famous recent books as Drive was made into a movie with Ryan Gosling. It truly is a great book and a good place to start. The Killer Is Dying is also a great newer book. I also love his early "Lew Griffin" series of books.
    That's funny because I was looking at Drive but was really eyeing the Lew Griffin books. I'll check out The Killer is Dying as well. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Was able to go to the Joe Lansdale signing at the Poisoned Pen on Tuesday. It was lots of fun. This was my 3rd or 4th time seeing him, and he's great live. Can't wait to dig into the new Hap & Leonard book soon!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Never heard of Sallis before your post as I've barely begun dipping my toe into crime fiction, but after checking out some of his books on Amazon I have added him to my "need to try out" list. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Every now and then, I like to hop on Scamazon and check out future release dates for books/authors that I enjoy so that I can leave myself reminders for the must-haves. Anyway, today, I happened to notice that on November 12th, "Bright Segments: The Complete Short Fiction of James Sallis" comes out and that it evens has 12 exclusive stories. I'm sure the size of this book is going to be a monster at 864 pages, but I am so excited for this book. James Sallis is one of my all-time favorite crime writers. His prose is just fantastic, and it will be awesome to have his short stuff collected in one place. God, I wish Centipede was doing this book!Â
    Never heard of Sallis before your post as I've barely begun dipping my toe into crime fiction, but after checking out some of his books on Amazon I have added him to my "need to try out" list. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X