No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, Jeff...I'm so sorry to hear that. We just went through a bathroom nightmare of our own (Nothing near the scale of yours, though....), so I feel for you. I hope life gets back to normal as soon as possible for you and your family.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yikes, so sorry to hear that, Jeff — can’t imagine how much damage that much water must’ve done. Hope your insurance company is making it as easy and painless as possible for you...best of luck, and hope you’re home soon!
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Were any of your books damaged? ~Cap

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        I went on vacation with my family and while we were gone a water feed broke and sprayed water all over my bathroom floor for possibly 21 hours before my sister in law found the leak and shut it off. It was a second floor bathroom (our only bathroom) and the water cascaded down destroying our kitchen and pouring into the basement. The damage resulted in a week of tear down and dry out mitigation. And currently the entire contents of my house have been packed up and stored because the hardwood floors in every room need to be refinished--after all the drywall is repaired and replaced and the kitchen is rebuilt. We're all living at my mother-in-law's house.
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Could anyone who received Friday's PS Publishing newsletter contact me? I want to order one of the featured titles in that newsletter. I deleted the email from PSP and couldn't locate the book on their website. Thanks!

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

PM me your email address I'll forward it to you.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the sympathies. I have insurance and while it's a bit inconvenient at the moment, we are being taken care of. And NO, none of the books were damaged. I don't think I could have survived such a collection-destroying event. Actually, one nice outcome of all of this is that I'm going to be able to reorganize my collection and create a more thoughtful space where I can gaze upon my addiction in comfort. So hopefully I will be able to be home around the New Year and put this year behind me.

Comment

Glad there’s a silver lining in all this for you, Jeff. :-)
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I went on vacation with my family and while we were gone a water feed broke and sprayed water all over my bathroom floor for possibly 21 hours before my sister in law found the leak and shut it off. It was a second floor bathroom (our only bathroom) and the water cascaded down destroying our kitchen and pouring into the basement. The damage resulted in a week of tear down and dry out mitigation. And currently the entire contents of my house have been packed up and stored because the hardwood floors in every room need to be refinished--after all the drywall is repaired and replaced and the kitchen is rebuilt. We're all living at my mother-in-law's house.
                  Sorry to hear that, Jeff. I'm glad that it sounds like it's being taken care of. Hope things get back to normal for you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Glad there’s a silver lining in all this for you, Jeff. :-)
                    Me too! And looking forward to seeing the new set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I will not even try to speak to value as that could only be answered by you. But if I have a book that she wrote the introduction to I would try to get her to sign it.
                      Me too.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                      Me too.
                      Last edited by Br!an; 10-06-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the sympathies. I have insurance and while it's a bit inconvenient at the moment, we are being taken care of. And NO, none of the books were damaged. I don't think I could have survived such a collection-destroying event. Actually, one nice outcome of all of this is that I'm going to be able to reorganize my collection and create a more thoughtful space where I can gaze upon my addiction in comfort. So hopefully I will be able to be home around the New Year and put this year behind me.
                        A new and improved Gargoyle lounge with elevator access.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                          Were any of your books damaged? ~Cap
                          That was my first thought too. Houses can be replaced but...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            A new and improved Gargoyle lounge with elevator access.
                            Actually it used to be the Cigargoyle Lounge, but there's no way in hell I'm smoking cigars around my collection.

Love the elevator idea. As long as it leads to a watertight, fireproof library. I'd love if you all were local and we could sit and chat with some stouts (or other spirits). THAT would be the perfect lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I just need approval from the rebuilding committee of one (my wife) but I think I've identified the perfect corner for my books.

Comment

Actually it used to be the Cigargoyle Lounge, but there's no way in hell I'm smoking cigars around my collection.

Love the elevator idea. As long as it leads to a watertight, fireproof library. I'd love if you all were local and we could sit and chat with some stouts (or other spirits). THAT would be the perfect lounge.
                                The cigars are for outside. The lounge is for books and libations.

Comment

Working...
                                X