Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teriw
    replied
    Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
    I understand what you're saying... perhaps it comes down to semantics. To me, a sense of shame originates from outside influences - if I neglect to brush my teeth, I don't feel ashamed, even though it's something I should have done. I just didn't do it. No biggie. Now, extend that to going out in public with bad breath and food stuck in my teeth - then yes, I would be ashamed of the way I'm presenting myself to other people because of something I failed to do.

Or I could not take a shower for a few days and walk around the house with smelly armpits - no problem. But if I then go out in public and am aware of the way I smell and I start thinking of how other people will react when they smell me and realize I haven't taken a shower, then yes, I would feel a sense of "shame" for not having taken a shower - but only because it's the "acceptable" thing to do in society. In private, it doesn't matter at all.

So to me, whether or not I've read a book has no bearing or influence on the outside world, and therefore there is no "shame" for me for not having done so. That's where I'm coming from, anyway.
    I really do hope you are showering and brushing your teeth though, lol.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Maybe so, but it's damn good reading just the same

Leave a comment:

• Xiabei
    replied
    Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
    S'all good, however; I'm still giving Xiabei Rep Points for a brilliant analysis on how he/she sees the question
    Thank you. This male appreciates it.

I suppose I do tend to overthink things sometimes, though; see my response to Teriw.

Leave a comment:

• Xiabei
    replied
    Originally posted by Teriw View Post
    I dont agree. Just because your ashamed you haven't read something doesn't mean you think you SHOULD read it. The ones I picked are ones I REALLY wanna read but ya can't read em all at once.
    I understand what you're saying... perhaps it comes down to semantics. To me, a sense of shame originates from outside influences - if I neglect to brush my teeth, I don't feel ashamed, even though it's something I should have done. I just didn't do it. No biggie. Now, extend that to going out in public with bad breath and food stuck in my teeth - then yes, I would be ashamed of the way I'm presenting myself to other people because of something I failed to do.

Or I could not take a shower for a few days and walk around the house with smelly armpits - no problem. But if I then go out in public and am aware of the way I smell and I start thinking of how other people will react when they smell me and realize I haven't taken a shower, then yes, I would feel a sense of "shame" for not having taken a shower - but only because it's the "acceptable" thing to do in society. In private, it doesn't matter at all.

So to me, whether or not I've read a book has no bearing or influence on the outside world, and therefore there is no "shame" for me for not having done so. That's where I'm coming from, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Wow TBR and TBW.If I started a TBW pile it would be bigger then my TBR pile.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Another movie for my TBW list! Thanks, Siep! (Loved Way of the Arrows, BTW.)

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    That is one creepy looking guy.I might have to check out that movie.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I wonder what it takes to scare Frik if that movie did not.
    One movie that really scared me was Wait Until Dark, with an amazing performance by Audrey Hepburn.

Actually, I should say, the climax of the movie scared me. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat (literally), hands in front of my eyes....peeking....looking away again...
    That was scary.
    The Exorcist had the occasional booh-moments, but it just wasn't scary...to me.

sk

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    I've never read the book but Will agree with Siep on the movie, NOT AT ALL SCARY and most certainly extremely boring.

Leave a comment:

• Merlin1958
    replied
    Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Well.....
    I'm afraid I find this book one of the most hyped, over-rated ever.
    Didn't care for the movie (NOT scary whatsoever), nor the book...

sk
    Well, to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Glad I never saw the directors cut then.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Somewhere, in some thread, I think I described reading the book was like listening to a 10-year old-stutterer reading from the thesaurus.

And the director's cut of the movie didn't make any sense and ruined the otherwise flawless performances of the main actors.
    Last edited by srboone; 04-02-2012, 01:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I wonder what it takes to scare Frik if that movie did not.The original Chainsaw maybe.I liked the exorcist and it did scare me and still kind of creeps me out.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Agree about the book, disagree about the movie (theatrical, directors cut sucked!)

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Originally posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Oh, and add "The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty
    Well.....
    I'm afraid I find this book one of the most hyped, over-rated ever.
    Didn't care for the movie (NOT scary whatsoever), nor the book...

sk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X