Books you have begun and never finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books you have begun and never finished

Are there any books that you started and never finished? Why?; What about books that you started and finished a great while later?

I started A Journey to the Center of the Earth in 1981 and made it to Chapter 30 (Terrific Saurian Combat) and stopped. It was a combination of Verne's writing style and the "you've gotta be kidding" quotient. For years, I thought "I'm gonna read this thing," but never did. Finally, in 2009, I read it. I'm glad I did.

After college, I realized I had exposure to most of the major writers I'd always heard about, except one. So I embarked on a quest to become familiar with the one writer no one talked about. I read some of his short works, then started on one of his most infamous novels.

Shortly into the work, it was as if the author became bored with writing the book--it became nothing more than a list of sexual atrocities. He didn't show interest in finishing it, so why should I?

I never finished The 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis DeSade.

And I never will.
    Last edited by srboone; 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

I stopped half way through Brown's The Lost Symbol... No reason really. Got my hands on a few King books that I hadn't read, o I read those. And now I got A Game of Thrones... Which has me hooked, so it looks like Brown will get pushed back even further.

Comment

Really??? Yes 'The Lost Symbol' isn't as good as some others by him but i still thought that it was a great read!

Comment

Whilst I have read and enjoyed most of Peter Straub's books, for some reason I just could not get into A Dark Matter. I ended up putting it down about 3/4 way through. May have to re-visit once the TBR pile is a little smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
          Really??? Yes 'The Lost Symbol' isn't as good as some others by him but i still thought that it was a great read!
          I'm not saying that I don't like it. Actually, I enjoyed the first half, it's just that I got sucked in by other books! I will finish it though, maybe after A Game of Thrones and before the next book in the series.

Comment

I couldn't read Drood or Black Hills by Dan Simmons. I got a couple of hundred pages into both and just didn't care what happened anymore.

There have been plenty of other books I never finished. I tend to try new authors at the library, and sometimes the books just aren't worth reading.

Comment

Interesting i have heard people say that Drood is well worth reading and others saying it isn't, im still yet to read the book!

Comment

I've tried to read Dune twice and both times by the time I got halfway through, I was hoping everybody would die of thirst.

Comment

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. The only book I had to use the Cliffs Notes on in school.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I hate not finishing books I begin; I tend to see each book as a conquest and it's a point of pride to say that I have read a certain number of books, and more importantly the right kind of books.

That being said, every so often, I come across a book that bores me to such an extent as to render it utterly unreadable. Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forrester is one such book. Something I bought in September at a Borders Outlet Mall, I attempted to read it twice, and both times just lost interest between the halfway and 3/4 mark.
                    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I started On Writing and didn't even finish the introduction! I loved it but moved on to 'Salem's Lot. I tend to do that with a lot of Stephen King novels, start one and get to page fifty or so and then quit for another one, but now I'm reading chronologically!

Comment

I had problems with Drood, too. Up until then I'd been pretty lucky.
                        http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fmancino View Post
                          I tend to do that with a lot of Stephen King novels, start one and get to page fifty or so and then quit for another one,
                          Ouch!
                          That one hurt.

sk

Comment

I love On Writing, thought it was really well balanced between writing tips and anecdotes

Comment

I had to stop reading Watchers by Koontz after 300 pages, so I read 2 sections of Seven Pillars of Wisdom by Lawrence and am now reading The Colorado Kid by King; afterwards, I should have enough renewed interest for the last 100 pages of Watchers....
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                              X