• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buick 8. Could not dig it back in '05.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcraven View Post
      Buick 8. Could not dig it back in '05.
      Try again in 2011.
      Many people don't like it and find it a weak tale, but I thought it was alright.

sk

Comment

Definitely give 8 another go around.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

All the James A. Michener books--Texas, Lincoln, Hawaii, yecch. Tolstoy and most assigned literature from University, Dune, White Oleander, most books where I've already seen the movie first 'cause they just lose their fizzle like a week old, open two-liter of Dr. Pepper.

Comment

I read almost half of Underworld by Don Delillo. Went to pick it up again and couldn't remember much of the first 400 pages I read, so quickly put it down again and never looked back. I've adopted Stephen King's practice. If I read 50 pages in a story and it hasn't grabbed me, I put it down. I amended that for longer works though 10% or 50 pages whichever is longer.
            http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
            http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
            http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm one of those that if I start a book I consider it my obligation to finish it. Most of the time it's no problem as I only pick up books I have some reason (genre, author reputation, recommendations) to believe I will enjoy. Some have been a force of sheer will, but finish them I have.

Except for one.

I generally like Heinlein--mostly his shorter works. I've only read a few novels, which run the gamut from "this is great!" (Starship Troopers), to "this is ridiculous" (The Cat Who Walked Through Walls). But the only book I just could not bring myself to finish was Time Enough for Love. What a slug to try to get through. And there's just so much incest and kiddy-diddling I can take in one book, ya know?

Comment

I don't think I've ever made it to the back cover of any Penthouse Magazine, come to think of it! EVER! (Ummmm, that's good magazine!)

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
                  I don't think I've ever made it to the back cover of any Penthouse Magazine, come to think of it! EVER! (Ummmm, that's good magazine!)
                  Hands down, one of the best!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    Hands down, one of the best!!!
                    Three thumbs up!
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Moby Dick. Tried reading this when i was 15 i think and got bored real fast. I may give it another try now that I'm older and possibly more patient.

Beastiary by Robert Massello. I read more then half and tossed it. It just never picked up.

There are others that I've read about 100 pages, which I try to read to see if I like the book or not. if the author can't hook me after 100 pages I move on.

Comment

Impossible. I just can't do it!
                        Once begun, I'll just have to finish the book.

sk

Comment

I don't think I've ever not finished a book. The Gunslinger did take me about 6 months to read though, as I got distracted by something else in the middle of reading it.
                          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I had one failed attempt with "Thinner" when it was first released. I got so, so tired of "The old gypsy caressed his cheek like a lover, and whispered 'thinner'." I couldn't take it any more. The second time I sped through the first half, and then it got a lot better.
                            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I always force my way through a book after I have started it. Sometimes I am greatly rewarded with a great story in the end (Insomnia) and sometimes I am left with a story that just fails to entertain me (Rose Madder).

Comment

Insomnia, The bachman books(Middle of The Long Walk), and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Insomnia - Is what I called "The Cure for insomnia" I literally fell asleep almost every time I read some of it. I almost made er through and gave up.

The Bachman books - I somehow feel like Richard Bachman is not a very good storyteller. Which I am aware makes no sense. I found them boring. Well I enjoyed Rage and would like to get my hands on a copy someday.

Comment

Working...
                                X