Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the SST limited edition of Paul Tremblay's "Survivor Song". Really enjoyed it as I have all of his other novels. Also enjoyed the slight tie in to "Disappearance at Devils Rock". The dialogue for Josh & Luis kept me cracking up the whole time. Am now going to begin P. Djl Clark's "Ring Shout". Have never read anything by this author but the book got a huge shout-out from Mother Horror in the CD reviews section and I have pretty much enjoyed everything that she has recommended; so, I figured that I would give this one a go.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Just started John F. Blackburn's Blue Octavo, first published in 1963, reprinted in 2020 bt Centipede Press. A tale of the dark doings in the second-hand book business. Like it so far!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by kresby View Post
    The Black Gondolier and Other Stories by Fritz Leiber from Midnight House.
    Allison by Jeff Strand. What a blast. Mass mayhem has never been so funny.
    The Odds by Jeff Strand. This was a blast. Great pacing and characters. What could possibly go wrong?
    I really enjoyed both those Strands, too, but for whatever reason THE ODDS really did it for me...what a fantastic read.

Leave a comment:

• kresby
    replied
    The Black Gondolier and Other Stories by Fritz Leiber from Midnight House.
    Allison by Jeff Strand. What a blast. Mass mayhem has never been so funny.
    The Odds by Jeff Strand. This was a blast. Great pacing and characters. What could possibly go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading "The Raven" by Jonathan Janz. Couldn't put his one down and can't recommend it highly enough! Very cool story with great characters. Am very glad that it left room for a sequel and hope Janz will write it soon. Already can't wait to revisit this world. Will probably read Tremblay's "Survivor Song" next as I just received my copy for SST. Am a huge Tremblay fan and am excited to see if it holds up to his previous novels that I've read.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

I really need to read more from Strand!
    He just released a new short story collection today. Candy Coated Madness. He is a very good short story writer as well.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I finished Autumn turns to Winter by Jeff Strand on Sunday night. Highly recommend this one.A great story
    I'm trying to hold off for the Thunderstorm S/L HC, but am finding it difficult to maintain my resolve...

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I finished Autumn turns to Winter by Jeff Strand on Sunday night. Highly recommend this one.A great story
    I really need to read more from Strand!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Adam Cesare's "Clown in the Cornfield". Really enjoyed it. Wasn't sure what to expect as I had never previously read anything by this author. Also was a little worried as this book was listed as a YA read. That being said, the book was actually a lot bloodier than I would have expected. Story began a little slow, but, once you get about a quarter way in, the action really picked-up and the horror kicked-in and pushed to the forefront on the story. Very cinematic and would make a great Netflix horror movie.

For my next read, I think I'm going with the SubPress limited of Jeff VanderMeer's " Dead Astronaughts". Have high hopes for this title as I've loved everything that I've read by this author.

Leave a comment:

• paulag
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Jonathan Janz's " The Siren & the Specter". This was my first read by this author and I was blown away. A fantastic story. Reminded me a lot of early Dean Koontz. On the strength of this read, I've decided my next read will be Janz's "Dust Devils". Have always had a soft spot for Horror-Westerns and am excited to give this one a go.
    I've read Savage Species and Exorcist Road/Falls and The Dark Game. They're all really different but I love his dark mind and his pacing. He's great.

Leave a comment:

• paulag
    replied
    "The Warm Glow of Happy Homes" by Andersen Prunty. My favorite Bizarro author. His stuff is weird by virtue of the genre, but it's in a more coherent way than a lot of other Bizarro authors. He's not "weird for weird's sake"; he comes up with some really odd ideas, but they're still grounded in reality.
    Last edited by paulag; 11-10-2020, 05:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I hope you read them one day Martin, they are really good. As I said, he second could use some editing, but very enjoyable. I think we're entering a decade of waiting for the 3rd book, so the GRRM gene is strong with this one LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Just finished my annual Halloween re-reading of Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October. I always find new little nuance to enjoy. I have time on my hands because I’m rehabbing from knee replacement surgery, so I also went back and re-read Patrick Rothfuss’s Name of the Wind and Wise Man’s Fear. I have very little to about Name of the Wind, just a fantastic book. Wise Man’s Fear, good book, lot’s of flaws, most which could have been alleviated with the input of a more aggressive editor. Both books are full of great storylines and characters and even life lessons. Occasionally I get irritated with Rothfuss as he continues to work on his Geeorge R.R. Martin impersonation, signs media deals and writes little bits of “stuff” but I’m sure in the end, it’ll all work out.
    My fear of him going into G.R.R. Martin territory has kept me from trying these books out. I did read his novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things and must admit, although it was a bit more fantasy than for my liking, I appreciated his writing.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Just finished my annual Halloween re-reading of Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October. I always find new little nuance to enjoy. I have time on my hands because I’m rehabbing from knee replacement surgery, so I also went back and re-read Patrick Rothfuss’s Name of the Wind and Wise Man’s Fear. I have very little to about Name of the Wind, just a fantastic book. Wise Man’s Fear, good book, lot’s of flaws, most which could have been alleviated with the input of a more aggressive editor. Both books are full of great storylines and characters and even life lessons. Occasionally I get irritated with Rothfuss as he continues to work on his Geeorge R.R. Martin impersonation, signs media deals and writes little bits of “stuff” but I’m sure in the end, it’ll all work out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X