X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading Christopher Golden's "All Hallows". I'm a big Golden fan, but this book missed the mark for me. It wasn't a bad read per se; however, it took way too long to get to the actual horror portion of the book. By the time that it finally did, I was pretty much over the story. That being said, there were some cool ideas and some characters that I really liked and was sad to see killed-off. I also thought that the scenes dealing with marital infidelity rang quite true and were perhaps the scariest part of the book. Overall, I would give this a C- grade. While I am glad to have read this, I doubt I will revisit it in the future and will most likely trade it in at the local bookstore.

Am now reading Kristopher Triana's "Along the River of Flesh". Only a few pages in and already amazing! That opening line is a doozy!!!
    I've always found Golden to be very hit-or-miss for me. I've never read anything particularly bad but neither has anything ever really resonated with me.

I've got like three Triana books in my TBR (Gone to See the River Man, The Thirteenth Koyote, and A Cold Place for Dying). Your praise keeps bumping these up in the pile. Maybe I'll make one of the my next read after I finish Fracassi's Gothic.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Christopher Golden's "All Hallows". I'm a big Golden fan, but this book missed the mark for me. It wasn't a bad read per se; however, it took way too long to get to the actual horror portion of the book. By the time that it finally did, I was pretty much over the story. That being said, there were some cool ideas and some characters that I really liked and was sad to see killed-off. I also thought that the scenes dealing with marital infidelity rang quite true and were perhaps the scariest part of the book. Overall, I would give this a C- grade. While I am glad to have read this, I doubt I will revisit it in the future and will most likely trade it in at the local bookstore.

Am now reading Kristopher Triana's "Along the River of Flesh". Only a few pages in and already amazing! That opening line is a doozy!!!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Gone to See the River Man by Triana.

It was a very disturbing & twisted read. Not over the top gore-wise, but definitely a dark piece of fiction.

Next up, almost half way through October Screams, an anthology of Halloween horror stories.

I liked the story by Ronald Malfi and a couple of the others, but up to this point this anthology has been more miss than hit.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Reading Gone To See The River Man by Kristopher Triana.

It’s the first thing I’ve read by Triana, and at the half way point I’d say it merits the mostly positive reviews I’ve seen about it.

There is a genuinely surreal & creepy feel to the story.

Looking forward to seeing how the second half goes.

B
    Love this book! Made me a huge Triana fan. If you end up enjoying it, you should definitely check out the sequel, Along the River of Flesh, which was released a couple of months ago.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    I tend to ignore all those type of lists, I hate to be dictated and told what to do. lol. the few times I have read a book because its been hyped up, ive absolutely hated it. of course I have also read and enjoyed books that have made these lists, but I now only read things that appeal to me. could be when they are newly published or it could be a few years later. I do things for my own enjoyment, I recommend books and other things but I dont like to pressure folks. :-)

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Hermit View Post

and I am more inclined to getting the third book Loop now. Ring and Spiral can be read as separate stand alone novels, but I enjoyed them so I would like to read Suzukis other books.

just a small non related to the books gripe but related to one of my comments. one of my peeves is younger people these days want things spoon fed to them and never want to read a long story or flesh out anecdote. it really bugs me when I see comments on other places saying did not read - too long and its only a post of just 2 or 3 paragraphs.
    it just makes me despair.
    sorry I will go be quiet now.
    I’ve thought about picking Ring up for a while, especially since I liked the movie (though it’s been 20 years since I’ve seen it), but have never pulled the trigger on it.

It’s one of those books that always seems to make the lists for best contemporary horror novels.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Reading Gone To See The River Man by Kristopher Triana.

It’s the first thing I’ve read by Triana, and at the half way point I’d say it merits the mostly positive reviews I’ve seen about it.

There is a genuinely surreal & creepy feel to the story.

Looking forward to seeing how the second half goes.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Richar Chizmar's "Becoming the Boogeyman". Enjoyed the heck out of it! It was every bit as good as "Chasing the Boogeyman" which I loved. There's just something about the way these stories are constructed that really works for me. I also really loved the way Chizmar teased a potential supernatural/weird turn that this story could take in the future should he want to go that route. And of course, my heart sped up a bit with every little nod to SK in this book. So excited to see where he goes with the next book. Can I make a guess at the title? It will be called "Ending the Boogeyman" and will feature another time jump; so, it will be old-man Rich kicking Boogeyman ass!! Just kidding . Overall, I would give "Becoming the Boogeyman" a B+ grade.

Am now reading Christopher Golden's "All Hallows". It's been sitting in my TPB pile and seems like an appropriate Halloween season read, and I love me some Golden!

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Thank you for the info. I'm definitely more inclined to pick up the books now.
    and I am more inclined to getting the third book Loop now. Ring and Spiral can be read as separate stand alone novels, but I enjoyed them so I would like to read Suzukis other books.

just a small non related to the books gripe but related to one of my comments. one of my peeves is younger people these days want things spoon fed to them and never want to read a long story or flesh out anecdote. it really bugs me when I see comments on other places saying did not read - too long and its only a post of just 2 or 3 paragraphs.
    it just makes me despair.
    sorry I will go be quiet now.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

hmm, I first encountered the movie -Ring, the original Japanese version years ago and it was the first horror movie to really give me the creeps. soon after that I learnt it was based on a novel so I purchased it and read it once and over the years had forgotten much of it until about a year ago when I found a preloved copy of Spiral. I had no prior knowledge to this second book until them, and after finally getting around to re-reading ring and now halfway into spiral, I can say the movie was good but is vastly different to the written works.
    to start with the movie. I like the fear inducing atmospherics and things left to sounds and imagination rather than the over used special effects and jump scares.
    the novel Ring is nothing like the movie. it doesn't ponder too much on the supernatural creeps, rather that plays just a shadow to the actual characters urgent adventure trying to stop the curse to prevent themselves dying.

the second book spiral brings in a new character who has no prior knowledge of the happenings from ring, but is connected with previous characters with friendships. the second book isn't such an adventure, its more thought provoking and has a hint of science behind it.
    I have seen reviews say the second book is slow and boring, but I disagree, its just a story thats not simplified for lazy readers.
    I do recommend these books, and I will most likely get a copy of loop too
    Thank you for the info. I'm definitely more inclined to pick up the books now.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

What are your thoughts on the series? I've gone back and forth on picking them up.
    hmm, I first encountered the movie -Ring, the original Japanese version years ago and it was the first horror movie to really give me the creeps. soon after that I learnt it was based on a novel so I purchased it and read it once and over the years had forgotten much of it until about a year ago when I found a preloved copy of Spiral. I had no prior knowledge to this second book until them, and after finally getting around to re-reading ring and now halfway into spiral, I can say the movie was good but is vastly different to the written works.
    to start with the movie. I like the fear inducing atmospherics and things left to sounds and imagination rather than the over used special effects and jump scares.
    the novel Ring is nothing like the movie. it doesn't ponder too much on the supernatural creeps, rather that plays just a shadow to the actual characters urgent adventure trying to stop the curse to prevent themselves dying.

the second book spiral brings in a new character who has no prior knowledge of the happenings from ring, but is connected with previous characters with friendships. the second book isn't such an adventure, its more thought provoking and has a hint of science behind it.
    I have seen reviews say the second book is slow and boring, but I disagree, its just a story thats not simplified for lazy readers.
    I do recommend these books, and I will most likely get a copy of loop too

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    My current read is Spiral by Koji Sazuki. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the third book (Loop) as ive seen reviews its fairly weak compared to the first two books.
    What are your thoughts on the series? I've gone back and forth on picking them up.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    My current read is Spiral by Koji Sazuki. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the third book (Loop) as ive seen reviews its fairly weak compared to the first two books.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman". I really enjoyed the trade hardcover when it was first released and decided to finally read the SST LE that I picked-up. I especially wanted to do that before reading the sequel, "Becoming the Boogeyman" which was just released a few days ago. I enjoyed Chasing the Boogeyman just as much this time around, which was a bit surprising to me considering that I already knew the mystery aspect of it. The characters still feel real, and I really enjoy the small-town feel/community that he gives to Edgewood. Also love the cover art for the SST version of this book. I've always loved the "Baghead" look from Friday the 13th 2 and was very happy to see it appear in this book, (and yes, I know Baghead didn't start with Friday, but that is THE version for me). Overall, I still really enjoyed Chasing the Boogeyman and would still place it in the B grade range.

Am now reading the sequel, Richar Chizmar's "Becoming the Boogeyman". Am only a few chapters into it, but have high hopes!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Started Halloween Beyond, a three story novella collection by Lisa Morton, Lucy Snyder, & Kate Maruyama.
    All the stories are based around a Halloween pop up store / chain called Halloween Beyond.
    Half way through the Morton story and enjoying it so far.
    B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X