No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I loved the first two. Can't wait for the LRB editions of the last two!!

Comment

Just finished the first five Sandman Slim books. They're great fun and rather moreish, a bit like a good TV box set. While waiting for the next one, The Getaway God, I'm chilling with a collection of Robert Aickman stories, Cold Hand in Mine.
      The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
      Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
      ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Aickman is fantastic - makes me feel very uncomfortable, without really knowing why.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          I am about 1/2 way through a techno-cyber-thriller titled Daemon by Daniel Suarez - it's been on my list for a while, and found the HC at a local used book shop for cheap. It's actually quite a good read so far!
          Loved it... until the last third. I think he kind of went off track a bit. Then I tried the follow-up and didn't get very far with it.

Comment

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
              Aickman is fantastic - makes me feel very uncomfortable, without really knowing why.
              He certainly meets with approval here. I read the first story (The Swords) and bought Dark Entries the next day.
              The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
              Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
              ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
                This is FANTASTIC! I love all three books in this series.

Comment

The Missing by Sarah Langan. I read and liked The Keeper and this sequel is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertJohn View Post
                    The Missing by Sarah Langan. I read and liked The Keeper and this sequel is pretty good.
                    I read The Keeper years back and liked it well enough. I've had The Missing in my TBR pile for a good two years. Maybe it's time to get around to it.

Comment

Comment

Gideon's Sword.

Comment

Originally posted by marduk View Post
                          Loved it... until the last third. I think he kind of went off track a bit. Then I tried the follow-up and didn't get very far with it.
                          You know what....I found the same thing. The last 100 pages I didn't care what happened to what character, or the whole entire story on it's own. I actually didn't bother seeing it through until the end, but consider it case closed. That is rare for me, but...... why continue with something I don't care about!?!

I read KPB's The Tent after this.......thought that it was excellent!

Now...onto Insomnia

Comment

I've been struggling with this guy for years, starting a story, finishing it despite slow pacing and cumbersome language, and always wondering afterwards, "why the fuss?" Then, months later, trying again. And again.

Like an aged Scotch, or even beer, how many of us liked the first taste right off the bat? I'm not too sure why this applies to Lovecraft, but the necessary acquired taste affecting so many things in life seems to be the key here, at least for me.

I'm happy to say I've turned a corner, seen something, and am now peering restlessly into the dark.

20140901_105006.jpg
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I am currently working my way through King's Insomnia. It's actually very enjoyable so far, I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and it's a BIG book! Coincidence or not, but twice now, I've been up way earlier than usual, and could not get back to sleep since I've started this......

Comment

'Insomnia' was the beginning of the end, for me with King. That changed again with FDNS, which I couldn't put down.

Currently reading 'The Nest', by the mysterious Gregory A. Douglas. A terrific slice of 80's pulp horror, which is very enjoyable. Killer cockroaches - how can you go wrong?!

Comment

Working...
                                X