What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Let us know what you think once your done. I've been on the fence about getting the lettered edition. I love the cover artwork on it. I almost bought it just for that.
    Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    I'm curious on your thoughts on this too RJK. I have another Waggoner book from DRP that I haven't read yet (The Harmony Society), and I enjoyed his The Men Upstairs. I was going to request a review copy for that too, but didn't really want an e-book version like I got when I did it with Holes For Faces. I know it would get lost in the shuffle on my Kobo.
    Finished the story and was very pleased. Gonna have to read more from Waggoner in the future. Here is my review: http://www.amazon.com/review/RREATV1...cm_cr_rdp_perm
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

sk

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
        Finished the story and was very pleased. Gonna have to read more from Waggoner in the future. Here is my review: http://www.amazon.com/review/RREATV1...cm_cr_rdp_perm
        Thanks for the insight. It sounds great. Now the hard part of trying to fit it in the budget!

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          Despite having always loved graphic novels, I have never read these. I get to about 1 volume every 2-3 months, and it's no wonder this guy blew up like he did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15370[/ATTACH]
          Sandman is amazing.I don't know if I ever finished the series. I might have to correct that very soon. I've actually been thinking about picking up the absolute editions...

Comment

Yes, thanks for the review on Waggoner, been looking at this one. That cover art is really cool, and a strong morality tale actually sounds nice about this time. It's probably ebook or trade - we'll see what the sale looks like.

edit*
            Dying Earth, picked up a paperback collecting the 4 a while back and wanted to have read by this point. Really awesome, let us know?
            Last edited by bugen; 06-16-2014, 01:48 AM.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Yes, thanks for the review on Waggoner, been looking at this one. That cover art is really cool, and a strong morality tale actually sounds nice about this time. It's probably ebook or trade - we'll see what the sale looks like.

edit*
              Dying Earth, picked up a paperback collecting the 4 a while back and wanted to have read by this point. Really awesome, let us know?
              You're welcome. I like the cover for this one too. I could have gone deeper in the review if I'd wanted, but I likely would have had to warn of spoilers, and I don't like using them. I also don't like describing what the plot is since it is typically listed. Sometimes a book doesn't have any plot details in the listing, which is annoying, so it good to have that in the review for those kind of books, but see a lot of book reviews that read like a book report, which I don't want to do, lol. It's annoying when the summary part is empty though. I don't need a long summary, but I'd like at least something! Hell, I didn't even read the whole summary for the Waggoner book. Didn't get very far into it before I was interested in the book. Once that happened I stopped reading the summary, lol.
              Spoiler!

Comment

Hi Terry, it's an interesting comparison you make with Carroll, and I'm with you here. It's almost like they're writing about strange, fantastic circumstances as if they're intimately familiar with them instead of exploring them. I'm a big fan of Carroll, but only because of the 2 works of his I've read.

1 - From the Teeth of Angels was a solid story that I felt came from left field, despite having read about it before-hand. I liked it quite a bit, but it's a different kind of novel.
                2 - The Woman Who Married a Cloud - this collection of short stories was an eye opener for me. This book and Ellison's Deathbird Stories were instrumental in getting me to focus more on the short story format. Absolutely amazing book!

If you've got a favorite Carroll I'd love to add it to the Must Read pile!
                -John Barth

Comment

Rereading The Painted Darkness for a group read. Forgot how wonderful this book is.

Comment

I am finishing up Mr. Mercedes. Not sure what's next, likely a Barker (Weaveworld or Imajica - they are both huge). I may dust off the Kobo, as there are a few titles I really want to get at (Dervish House, Wormholes, The Book of Creation (no, this is not a religious book)).

Comment

Hi Terry, it's an interesting comparison you make with Carroll, and I'm with you here. It's almost like they're writing about strange, fantastic circumstances as if they're intimately familiar with them instead of exploring them. I'm a big fan of Carroll, but only because of the 2 works of his I've read.

1 - From the Teeth of Angels was a solid story that I felt came from left field, despite having read about it before-hand. I liked it quite a bit, but it's a different kind of novel.
                      2 - The Woman Who Married a Cloud - this collection of short stories was an eye opener for me. This book and Ellison's Deathbird Stories were instrumental in getting me to focus more on the short story format. Absolutely amazing book!

If you've got a favorite Carroll I'd love to add it to the Must Read pile!
                      From the Teeth of Angels was also my first and favorite. It's been a while, but I also really liked The Marriage of Sticks and The Land of Laughs. I've got a lot of catching up to do.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes - different take on other King's I have read, but enjoyable.

Last night I was debating between The Mailman by Bentley Little, or Weaveworld by Clive Barker....... Weaveworld it is.

Comment

The Mailman was a very good read. Some of it was a little outdated, but who cares, lol
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                            The Mailman was a very good read. Some of it was a little outdated, but who cares, lol
                            Interesting..... I will keep that in mind when I get around to it. I think it's a 1991 release??

That was always my concern with reading someone like Arthur C Clarke, yet from what I have read of his, that isn't an issue.

Comment

Terry I'm going to get to The Land of Laughs as soon as I can. This sounds like exactly the kind of story I'm looking for from a writer like Carroll. Thanks so much for bringing it up - I might have missed it!

*edit
                              Finished, and loved it! Thanks again for bringing it up, Terry. Posted a few comments about it in the Book Review section if anyone is interested.
                              Last edited by bugen; 06-24-2014, 03:30 AM.
                              -John Barth

Comment

My first post
                                reading Wicked by James Newman, just finished the stunning Animosity

Comment

Working...
                                X