No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started this last night. Love the first 40 pages or so and was really sucked in by the style of the writing.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Stayed up late and just finished reading Westlake Soul by Rio Youers. In short, one of the most beautifully written, heart wrenching, uplifting, sad, funny books I've read in a long time. I was literally talking to myself (or to book, really) as I finished the last forty pages. If you haven't read this yet, seriously do yourself a favor and pick this book up. I absolutely loved it.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Feel in love with the style of The Road but have struggled (mightily) with his other works.

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
      He's more wordy in that book at some points, more short in others. I think the writing style he used for The Road was great for that story, but definitely wouldn't work for most stories. Not all his books (Maybe none of his other books) have that same writing style. I started reading another of his books, though got busy and distracted to the point of not finishing it, and it was definitely not written the same way. Loved that book and was very impressed with the movie since it didn't deviate from the story the way most movies based on King's books do.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Just finished A Clash of Kings (Book Two of Game of Thrones). I kind of liked the first one better for some reason, it just flowed better but the edge is a little mature so pluses and minuses. As for what I am reading now, it is true "horror" I am reading "Flash Boys" about the high frequency trading done by automated computer programs on Wall Street. Truly, more scary than anything Sir Stevie has ever put on paper.

Comment

Just started reading the first Under the Dome book...bought the 2nd one a couple days ago...gonna be another epic read...

Comment

Reading Shivers VII now. Just finished with my first Rollins, Bloodline. I borrowed the Audiobook from my library, knowing it was in the middle of the Sigma series. It was excellent, which means I now much track down all of them! Who ever on this forum recommended Rollins, I thank you!

Comment

rusty - I think that might have been me, after reading Subterranean - fantastic book. Recently picked up the first Sigma Force book Sandstorm - but have not got to it yet. Did you find that jumping into it in the middle caused any problems with the story at all?

Comment

Also - re: The Bootlegger.... One of things that drew me to it, was that I figured it would have a lot of locations/scenarios that are very recognizable to me, based on where I live (Windsor, ON). And sure enough - here we are right in the middle of rum running on the Detroit River!!!

For everyone's brief history lesson - Canada never had alcohol prohibition and being a border city with Detroit, Michigan lent to a lot of gangs and rum running. Windsor is home to Canadian Club whiskey (Hiram Walker Co. - where my Dad worked for 30 years). There are a few taverns that have rum running history to them still serving. I believe even Al Capone visited here back then!

To find a fictional novel that has a lot of local stuff I can relate to is awesome - it's not like I live in a big famous city (at least I don't think so).

Comment

Decided to finish Lot Lizards by Ray Garton, which I had started a month or so ago when growing bored with The Interview With the Vampire before deciding to power through it, much to my enjoyment actually. So before I really dive into Fear I figure I should finish this one off.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                    rusty - I think that might have been me, after reading Subterranean - fantastic book. Recently picked up the first Sigma Force book Sandstorm - but have not got to it yet. Did you find that jumping into it in the middle caused any problems with the story at all?
                    They all stand alone but there are some parts that hint at what will happen in future novels. Example there is a scene at the end of The Devil's Colony that relates to Bloodline. Also, there are things that happen to the characters, that don't really effect the story if you jump forward, but you will already know what happens when you go back to the book where said event happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                      They all stand alone but there are some parts that hint at what will happen in future novels. Example there is a scene at the end of The Devil's Colony that relates to Bloodline. Also, there are things that happen to the characters, that don't really effect the story if you jump forward, but you will already know what happens when you go back to the book where said event happens.
                      Exactly. And, it really didn't bother me. I think I'll just continue with the books that come after Bloodline, for now.

Comment

Interesting - that's kind of good to know too. I have Sandstorm (1st Sigma book), and plan to get to it soon. Will try to knock them off in order (but not all in a row).

Comment

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.Fantastic book so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.Fantastic book so far.
                            Agreed! Dark Places is even better and then Gone Girl is even better than that, I'm totally hooked on her writing now and am eagerly awaiting her next book

Comment

I finished The Fleshless Man and it was an interesting read - sad, creepy.

Now, onto Needful Things. Tough call to pick which one I wanted to read actually....

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                                Agreed! Dark Places is even better and then Gone Girl is even better than that, I'm totally hooked on her writing now and am eagerly awaiting her next book
                                They do not need to be read in any particular order, right? They're not connected, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X