No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still flying through 'Swan Song', and loving it.
    I'd really like to get into some Charles L. Grant, but not sure where to start - early stuff, later, novel, shorts? Have read a few shorts, a couple that I really liked and a couple that didn't really do it for me. He appears to be an author that I should really like, so don't want to give up on him because of a few stories that weren't to my taste. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just read 'Scream Quietly', cover to cover?

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Read Turn Down the Lights today. A great anthology with a very heartfelt intro by Rich and an amusing afterword by Monteleone. Straub's contribution I found the weakest, but the unexplainable menace came through despite his typically arrogant presentation. Now back to de Sade....
      I really wish I could read as quickly as you, Squire. My TBR stack would be a lot smaller. I read your GR review this morning and had a good chuckle when I read "a couple hours reading" because your couple hours is my couple days (depending on the amount of time I have to sit and read).

I'm currently reading Owen's Double Feature and though I think he's a decent writer, I haven't really been too drawn into the story (about 25% into the book). I'm hoping it gets more interesting for me. After that I need to get back to some scary tales.

Comment

Lovecrafts Legacy...short stories, various authors, pretty good over all

Puppet Graveyard...Tim Curran. Delirium press, short and creepy

Dead Bait 2...short stories, various authors, fun read

World War of the Dead...Eric Brown, not finished yet, but rather simplistic, not very good
        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Originally posted by paperdragon View Post
          World War of the Dead...Eric Brown, not finished yet, but rather simplistic, not very good
          That has to be one of the worst titles I have ever seen.

Comment

This is one book that has drawn my attention big time. I am guessing you enjoyed it????

Comment

As for what I am reading, well, I did get a couple books for Christmas, so I just started one of them Sycamore Row by John Grisham - this will be my first Grisham novel. Only about 25 pages into it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                I really wish I could read as quickly as you, Squire. My TBR stack would be a lot smaller. I read your GR review this morning and had a good chuckle when I read "a couple hours reading" because your couple hours is my couple days (depending on the amount of time I have to sit and read).

I'm currently reading Owen's Double Feature and though I think he's a decent writer, I haven't really been too drawn into the story (about 25% into the book). I'm hoping it gets more interesting for me. After that I need to get back to some scary tales.
                Gotta get that changed. It was actually 3 1/2 hours reading. I really don't read that fast, though some books go faster then others.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The Year of the Ladybird by Graham Joyce. This is a quick read thanks largely to Joyce's deceptively simple prose style. There really isn't a single word wasted, nor a scene overplayed, and the pages turn effortlessly as a result.

There are a few points in the story that will have you questioning the naïveté of the protagonist (and you get the feeling Joyce knows this), but overall this is a fine read.

80% through the supernatural element is slight, but if you would like a sense of the shabby charm possessed by a 70's holiday park, not to mention the ugly racism that plagued Britain at the time, then check it out.

(This recommendation has nothing to do with Joyce's publisher, who sat next to me on the train yesterday and commented on me reading it. It's a small, small world out there, peeps! )
                  The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                  Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                  ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Finished 'Swan Song' last night. Rated it 4 stars on GoodReads, which means I really, really enjoyed it, but had a few small problems with it. I don't usually like traditional 'good vs evil' stories, I prefer the lines to be a bit 'blurry' - but I didn't hold that against it. The 950 pages flew by, and there was only really one section that got a bit repetitive, and bogged down. McCammon did a great job juggling all the characters and situations, then slowly drawing everything together.
                    Recommended.
                    Have decided to try 'Raven', by Charles Grant, next.

Comment

Still need to pick up a McCammon book, that was the one I intended as my first.

Comment

Very tempted to get this one of these days. For the most part I have not been impressed by what I have read from Curran, but that one is very tempting. Might just see if I can borrow it on my Kindle when I have the time to actually read it.
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Hiya all,

I'm new to the CD forum (go easy on me!!!), currently reading Jack Ketchum's "Right To Life"

Comment

Welcome aboard and Happy New year!! I'm sure you'll find your visits here entertaining and informative!!
                            MDH

Comment

Welcome Paul!

Comment

Finally got my copy of Turn Down the Lights yesterday. The Media Mail service must be in serious backlog. I've read a few of the stories, really liked King's and didn't quite get Straub's . Barker's was, well, okay but not really "my cup 'o tea."

Comment

Working...
                                X