No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not read Savage yet. I will have to remedy that soon.
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Along with Savage. I DON'T think there is a limited edition of Savage. I would recommend that along with Traveling Vampire Show.

I joined the df e-book club and I am reading a few of those now. I am off this week but not really. MY wife has me installing pergo floors in the kitchen and living room. Ugh. This is not very fun.

Comment

I finished off Oblivion on my Kobo - pretty darn good read. Mind you I did notice some errors in the book (maybe a couple missed words, small things like that) that I had to read a couple lines more than once to actually understand it. Great read otherwise.

I then finished of The Walker Place - a very fun, quick read on the Kobo again. Perfect short Halloween story.

Next up is probably another Kobo e-book - Forest of Shadows by Hunter Shea, as it keeps placing itself next on my list.... Looks like it will be another good one!

Comment

Two Goodreads wins: The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption by Taona Dumisani Chiveneko and To Love a Sea Rogue by Sandra Sookoo (this one is not my type of book, but since it was sent to me, I'll read it--but I've stopped entering just any GR giveaway now...)
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Been on vacation for the past week so have had plenty of reading time. I have read Afterlight by Alex Scarrow, Breed by Novak, Wool by Hugh Howey, and 12.21 by Thomason. Afterlight and Wool were fantastic. Breed was engaging but I'd rate a 3/5. 12.21 was a surprise. I didn't think I would like considering the subject matter that it focused on has passed but the underlying story was interesting.

Spoiler!

Currently splitting time between American Psycho and The Casual Vacancy.

Comment

Currently reading Thirty Miles South of Dry County and am enjoying it so far as I expected from something by Burke since I've loved everything else of his I've read. I recently purchased the eBook edition of Walls of the Castle and will likely start in on that soon. Dark Regions is helping Tom out with paying for his medical issues and 100% of proceeds from the eBook go to him to help pay the medical bills, which I think is great of them. 20% of the hardcover sales went to that as well, and I'd rather have a HC edition, but even if I had to money I wouldn't be able to purchase it since all HC editions are sold out. Recently got a Kindle Fire HD for me and my wife, so will read more eBooks now, though I know I will still prefer physical books.

Thinking of read Hautala's Wildman soon. Already planned on reading it this year, and with his recent death I think I need to bump it up towards the top of the list
            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
            Spoiler!

Comment

Just finished reading Carrie last night. Quite the enjoyable book. It has amazing build up and hint at what is to come tghroughout. My worry was that already having seen the movie would ruin the ending, but King basically tells you at the beginning that shit will hit the fan by the end. The format is a little different too, there's no chapters and the book is told in separate sections taken from Q&A reports after the incident, news clippings and first hand accounts. *spoiler* The relationship between Sue Snell and Carrie White is especially touching. They hardly know each other, but Sue has such a sweet soul (despite some very human flaws) and was able to connect with Carrie. The end was really moving, when Sue and Carrie are connected and she hears Carrie's dying words. Not my favourite King book (that's still It) but a damn good one nonetheless.

I think I'll read a few short stories while I wait for Off Season from Jack Ketchum to arrive.

Comment

Off Season was a great read!

Forest of Shadows is turning into one of those books (e-book in this case) that is pleasantly, surprisingly good. Better than I thought, that's for sure.
                Last edited by TJCams; 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I finished Pet Sematary late last night. It's funny how perspective changes with time. I view death a lot differently now than when I read it as a kid.
                  I think that I'll start Under the Dome next. I want to finish it before they air it on CBS.

Comment

Almost through with WOOL and I love it so far, thanks to Joe315's comprehensive collection or else I might not of heard of it until a movie version came out

Comment

I've been reading some Algernon Blackwood in the intercession between books. I read the Willows and The Wendigo yesterday, and man I gotta say those are some damn good reads. I can easily see where Lovecraft got his influences, along with W.H.Hodgson, Algernon was really breaking ground with otherworldly terror, especially in The Willows. He's a master of building suspense too. I just really like his style, it's very descriptive and ripe with imagery. I haven't read many authors who use nature is it's own source of horror, something I'm keen on in my own writing.

Up now: I'll pick through some short stories from Harry Shannon's Host of Shadows and Scott Thomas' Urn and Willows.

Comment

Great choice with Blackwood's The Willows. I like his work more than I do Lovecraft's. I'm not super-versed in all of his work but from what I've read it is a lot more accessible than Lovecraft's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                          Almost through with WOOL and I love it so far, thanks to Joe315's comprehensive collection or else I might not of heard of it until a movie version came out
                          I actually just finished it. I thought it was great and hopefully Shift and Dust can live up to it. And with the world he has set up, I imagine he could keep writing stories about it if he chose too.
                          Last edited by Joe315; 04-09-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            Great choice with Blackwood's The Willows. I like his work more than I do Lovecraft's. I'm not super-versed in all of his work but from what I've read it is a lot more accessible than Lovecraft's.
                            I've only read these two stories of his so far, but I'm starting leaning in the same direction. Similar in style and some themes, but I agree he is a more accessible writer.

Comment

Started reading The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption. Actually I kinda started before today when I downloaded their Amazon contest entry to read and review as the author requested. Not far from being 100 pages into and am thoroughly enjoying it so far
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Glad to see those who jumped into Wool are liking it. I will probably grab it eventually, just wish I hadn't missed out on the independent (I think?) release before the latest came out. I am sure the story is the same, but the cover was way better!

Comment

Working...
                                X