No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read 21st Century Dead edited by Christopher Golden. A Zombie anthology that was very good.
    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
      I avoid everything Japanese unless it has the names Sony or Nintendo attached. Even then I may avoid it depending on what it is.
      Then you've obviously never read anything by Kobo Abe. He's been (very rightly) discribed as a combination of Poe and Kafka, with a nice touch of post-war Japanese paranoia thrown in.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Well, I think I'll go back to "The Girl Who Played With Fire". I got stalled about halfway through months ago. That's the problem with wanting to read a bunch of different books at once.

Recently started "Devlin's Luck" by Patricia Bray (fantasy)

Halfway through "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Up to issue #61 of "Knights of the Dinner Table"

Comment

Well I finished Carrie. Excellent book. Once again much better than the movies. The article, books and report excerpts added a lot to the story. Loved it. Now? IT

Comment

Been a long time since I read Carrie. I think I will have to give it another read soon.
            Originally posted by Teriw View Post
            Well I finished Carrie. Excellent book. Once again much better than the movies. The article, books and report excerpts added a lot to the story. Loved it. Now? IT

Comment

Finished 10 Billion Day & 100 Billion Nights by Ryu Mitsuse. I don't know what to say about it. There's no discernible plot; it's beautifully written, but philosophically frustrating (especially if you're not familiar with Buddhist cosmology and beliefs); It's not a traditional page-turner because you'll find yourself re-reading passages and pausing to contemplate what just happened. But it's a fascinating journey beginning with man's first fishy baby-steps onto land and ending with Plato, Siddhartha, Asura and Jesus witnessing the end of all worlds in the year 3905 (or somewhere therabouts). It's one of the most unusual reading experiences I've ever had.

It was made into a magna. And the author has a great short list of SF works that he found most influential to his writings in his Afterward.

Anyway, here's what's next on my TBR:

06-21-2012 06;49;31PM.JPG
              Last edited by srboone; 06-22-2012, 08:09 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

That sounds horrible. Nice review though. I like when ppl give a review when they're done. I love reading them.

Comment

Not as horrible as I made it sound. The prologue and first two chapters were great. Then the Buddhism came in and I was lost for a while. I'm not sure whether of not I would recommend the book to the casual reader, but I'm glad I read it.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Am now reading Brian Keene's Scratch and Ronald Kelly's Undertaker's Moon. Should be able to finish Scratch later today
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Reading roadwork the 3rd of the early Bachman books.A little slow start but I am enjoing revisiting this one.It is a little dated but I think this is moving up my list of
                      favorites.The older I get the more some of the books I read years ago seem so much better then I remember them.

Comment

Roadwork is my least favorite of the Bachman books. What I remember most is the constant repeating of lines from "Gimme Shelter". Great, great song, but not in that context.
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Finished Roadwork.Great read. Terry it is not Gimmie Shelter that is repeated it is songs from Let It Bleed and it is only a few times inthe last 25 pages or so.While the setting makes the story feel dated the pplot is very much relivent to today. Can the government just say yuor home is now part of this or that project so move.This moved into my top 20 King books.

Comment

Done with The Stars My Destination. A resourceful, but uneducated and unambitious man becomes the center of galaxy-wide manhunt in order to tip the balance of an interplanetary war. It's vivid, exciting, fast-paced (almost TOO fast-paced) 1950's Scifi that has left it's mark on generations of authors since. It influenced Stephen King's short story "The Jaunt" and is mentioned by Scott Landon as his favorite book in Lisey's Story; King also admonishes his readers when Scott Landon dedicates a new library by saying "This one's for Alfie Bester, and if you haven't read him, you ought to be ashamed!" And I think he's right.

On to Rose Madder (one of two King novels I haven't read. The other, Duma Key, is for later this year.)
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Liked Rose Madder. Loved Duma Key.I will be reading this week 2 dark fuse novellas then All you can eat and then I will start Edge of Dark Water.The latest from Joe R. Lansdale.

Comment

spoilers!

I finally finished Under the Dome. I liked it, but not as much as I hoped/thought I would. Maybe a case of too many characters and too little happening? I liked the opening of the book. Then, somewhere in the middle, the story lost its momentum, but things really picked up again towards the end of the book. I loved the ending, the explanation of the dome, the way in which it disappeared.
                                I was disappointed in the way King dealt with Big Jim's final moments. I had expected a major confrontation between him and the survivors. Instead, he just died (didn't he?)

Looking forwards to reading 11/22/63 and The Wind Through the Keyhole.
                                But, first up, The Mailman!

sk

Comment

Working...
                                X