What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Painful. That's the only way to describe reading Urshurak. I looked at reviews that praised the book and they fell into two categories: 1) those that remember the book with fond nostalgia as the first fantasy book they read and 2) those who likened it to a D&D campaign with nonstop action and bloodshed, without all that boring character and story build up. I can accept the first category, but have no patience for the second. Regardless, it is indeed 3rd-rate fantasy; while there are one or two promising scenairos in the book, the writing is lifeless. Oh well....

Starting Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian...
    I've read Urshurak when I was a kid. I remember I bought it because of the illustration of some brothers I can't remember now. Back there I liked it even if it was a poor book by my standars (the sword of shannara at that time) but the artwork was too good. I've tried te reread it some years ago and I could not go past the first 10 pages I think

And yes, at that time I player D&D and other roleplaying games (not on PCs until ultima vi and that was hard because it was the year before I started studying english at school... but the graphics of the intro was so amazing !)
    Last edited by th3l0rd; 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Can't remember if I posted it already or not... Shivers III, almost done. Might go for IV right away or re-read The Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by th3l0rd View Post
        I've read Urshurak when I was a kid. I remember I bought it because of the illustration of some brothers I can't remember now. Back there I liked it even if it was a poor book by my standars (the sword of shannara at that time) but the artwork was too good. I've tried te reread it some years ago and I could not go past the first 10 pages I think

And yes, at that time I player D&D and other roleplaying games (not on PCs until ultima vi and that was hard because it was the year before I started studying english at school... but the graphics of the intro was so amazing !)
        Well, my point about the D&D was that when I was a player, constant battles were boring to me. I like the character building and actual roleplaying; when I became a DM, I always gave more exp for roleplaying, rather than for stomping some poor monster's guts into the ground.

But the artwork is great!
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The only shivers I still need.Hope you are enjoying it.I finshed closing time by Ketchum and now working on Picking the bones as well as vile things.
          Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
          Can't remember if I posted it already or not... Shivers III, almost done. Might go for IV right away or re-read The Beach.

Comment

Counting down my last 250 pages of The Talisman, I am starting to enjoy it though. Off I go now...If I dont get anymore Irate customers. Two in a row and a crazy lady as well. Didn't get any writing done tonight. By time I was done with those clusterfucks I said frig it I'm reading instead. Reading as we "speak"...

Comment

just finished BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy. wow. dark stuff, powerful. probably top ten all time now.
              FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Started reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a couple of days ago.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Due to the discussion here about it?

Comment

Well it's something I had been meaning to read for a long time, just never got around to it. The discussion here just reminded me about it.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Just paid a whole dollar at the library for a nice hardcover copy of the first American edition of Clive Barker's "The Damnation Game" and Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas And Other American Stories." Not actually reading them at the moment, but soon. For my birthday somebody sent me a gift card so I've got lots of Bizarro books headed my way.

Comment

Dark Horse keeps 'em coming - great!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          Started reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a couple of days ago.
                          Don't forget your towel!
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                            just finished BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy. wow. dark stuff, powerful. probably top ten all time now.
                            Great novel! Read it years ago and can still picture the Judge and the gimp crossing the desert. I wonder if anyone would have the balls to make the film?
                            Tasmaniac Publications - dedicated to quality horror and crime
                            http://www.tasmaniacpublications.com

Comment

imdb has ti scheduled for a 2015 release, but since i'm not an imdbPro member, I don't have anymore info than that, Steve.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                imdb has ti scheduled for a 2015 release, but since i'm not an imdbPro member, I don't have anymore info than that, Steve.
                                Wow! Thanks for the heads up, Squire! I hope they do an accurate adaptation.
                                Tasmaniac Publications - dedicated to quality horror and crime
                                http://www.tasmaniacpublications.com

Comment

Working...
                                X