No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Samson and Denial, a quick entertaining read--nothing too original, but an image of 15 half-naked female cultists bum-rushing two befuddled Philly policeman was priceless. Also loved the title.

I've downloaded Mr. Rice's two freebies from Amazon, but I can't concentrate on my computer screen long enough to read more than a couple of pages. I keep openning up my hearts program and playing a game or two. So I'll start The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco next. I can curl up with a physical book for hours.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Kin .... I hope I am man enough to finish this one.

Comment

I just finished The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth. I loved this book and can't say enough good things about this series. I'll read as much Nathaniel Cade as Mr. Farnsworth can write. Now on to The Dark at the End.
        Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
          You'll be well rewarded. Kin was easily one of the top five books I read all of last year and possibly one of the best of the last several years.
          Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

almost done with the mountain king by rick hautala.I brought an old paperback copy with me this weekend on our winter camping trip.Big mistake if you have read the book you will understand.The trip was fun.Yes we camp every month with my boys boy scout troop all year round.

Comment

I guess I'll post this again....almost done with The Fountainhead. I saw it on TCM but decided not to watch it since I was trying so damn hard to get through this book...and thanks to Terry for mentioning this book. It's a fascinating read.

Still not done with the entire Books of Blood by Barker; now on volume 6 (I think it's called a "volume").

Non-fiction....another true crime book this time about Jack the Ripper, one of my favorite subjects since I've always loved true mysteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
                Kin is great, one of my favorite books of 2011!

Comment

IT. Although this is probably the 4th or 5th time I have read it I still find myself getting sucked right in. It is one of the few books which, on rereading I don't have the temptation to skim through various sections.

Comment

Finally got around to reading 11/22/63 on a plane flight recently - nine hours gave me plenty of time Personally, I thought it was his best work in quite a few years (then again, having been alive when some of the events occurred may have had something to do with that, nostalgia wise). One thing I'm not sure whether I loved or loathed were some of the oblique references to his other works in the last few chapters (DT and others). All in all though, a champion book !!!!!

Comment

I too just completed 11/22/63. I prefer to separate Kings novels with his shorty works (Novellas and Short stories.) I do this primarily because I tend to like his shorter work more than his longer works. That being said I must say that this is a very good story. There was talk, I believe it was earlier in this thread, of old King (pre-accident) vs. new King (post-accident.) In my opinion this his his best novel in the new King group. I would go as far as to say it is his second bet novel, I consider The Stand as his best novel and until 11/22/63 I considered Insomnia as his second best. In the future I may bump Insomnia back up to the #2 slot but having just completed 11/22/63 I have to put it at 2. Now off to read Vessels by Kealan Patrick Burke, the only Timmy Quinn story that I have not yet read and after that The Sorrows by Jonathan Janz. I am looking forward to both and combined they are less than half the length of 11/22/63.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        I too just completed 11/22/63. I prefer to separate Kings novels with his shorty works (Novellas and Short stories.) I do this primarily because I tend to like his shorter work more than his longer works. That being said I must say that this is a very good story. There was talk, I believe it was earlier in this thread, of old King (pre-accident) vs. new King (post-accident.) In my opinion this his his best novel in the new King group. I would go as far as to say it is his second bet novel, I consider The Stand as his best novel and until 11/22/63 I considered Insomnia as his second best. In the future I may bump Insomnia back up to the #2 slot but having just completed 11/22/63 I have to put it at 2. Now off to read Vessels by Kealan Patrick Burke, the only Timmy Quinn story that I have not yet read and after that The Sorrows by Jonathan Janz. I am looking forward to both and combined they are less than half the length of 11/22/63.
                        LOL I think a lot of people considered Insomnia to be one of his worst efforts, along with Desperation. Just goes to show you how everyone has different tastes. I personally couldn't get into the latter at all, the former was a better done novel IMO. I still have to read the 11/22/63 but I want to wait for the slipcase by CD.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                          LOL I think a lot of people considered Insomnia to be one of his worst efforts, along with Desperation. Just goes to show you how everyone has different tastes. I personally couldn't get into the latter at all, the former was a better done novel IMO. I still have to read the 11/22/63 but I want to wait for the slipcase by CD.
                          Have heard the same about Insomnia along with The Tommyknockers. Haven't read Insomnia yet myself, but did like Tommyknockers (though not one of my favorites)
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

I generally liked The Tommyknockers--it's on my reread list for 2012. Insomnia isn't on any such list in the near future. And I seem to be the lone voice of dissent on the merits of 11/22/63, but that's ok. I liked Desperation but only in conjunction with The Regulators. I don't think I'd be able to read one without the other.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I usually find Insomnia has two camps, people love it or hate it. Most, not all, of the people I have talked to who hated it did not finish the whole book. I agree that it it had a very large build up before it kicked in but it finishes very strong. I also loved the way he brought Greek mythology into the story. The final few chapters of that story where emotionally draining on me and that is why I rate it so high.
                              Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                I generally liked The Tommyknockers--it's on my reread list for 2012. Insomnia isn't on any such list in the near future. And I seem to be the lone voice of dissent on the merits of 11/22/63, but that's ok. I liked Desperation but only in conjunction with The Regulators. I don't think I'd be able to read one without the other.
                                Well, I liked 11/22/63 I could not finish buick 8 when it was published so I will retry this year if the all you can read promotion let me have some free time

Comment

Working...
                                X