What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Bummer to hear that! Without venturing too far into spoilers, what didn't work for you? Only asking because I'm thinking of picking up the LE from SST once they announce it but haven't actually read the story yet. Was just assuming that I will enjoy it like everything else he has written.
    That was my plan as well...I held off picking up the trade -- signed or otherwise -- because I was going to snag the SST limited when it was offered to join the rest of my Tremblay limiteds, and wanted to use the $$ toward the copy (and read the story in its deluxe presentation). But then I came across this trade HC for ten bucks at a local used bookstore and my resolve shattered. Now I'm thinking it was probably a blessing, as I don't think I'm going to give this book another chance via a re-read in a S/L edition, so I guess I just saved $40.

I don't even really know where to start with why it didn't work for me. Generally uninteresting characters (save for the first, I don't know, 50 pages or so, that were, in fact, very promising); an initially intriguing presentation construct that didn't work to entertain or enlighten or chill but rather to, for me, kind of annoy and distract; a plot that developed veerryyy slowly so that only by the halfway point of the book was there some sort of sense where the story might be heading; and so on. I'm really disappointed in my experience as this was a book I had been really looking forward to, given my love for Tremblay's work, but it just did not work for me in any way. I'm half-tempted to grab the SST anyhow and see if a re-read a year (?) from now, or whenever it releases, changes my perspective as, frankly, I'm surprised at my reaction to it -- so maybe it's me, not the book? -- but, eh, I probably won't...there are issues here that even objectively I can see are contrary to the way I like to see stories presented. To be fair, though, I have read positive reviews of it among the mixed reaction, so some folks clearly enjoyed it...I wish I was one of them, I truly do. But this one-off bad experience hasn't shaken my confidence in Tremblay's ability to entertain me...he's built up too much goodwill with me with his backlist for that. I'm looking forward to his new short-story collection next year, and whatever else he may have coming down the pike.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Started Stephen Graham Jones's My Heart is a Chainsaw last week, and was really enjoying the first part of it because I was hearing his voice while reading it. I've seen him twice recently so I have a good memory of his cadence when he speaks which translates very well to his written words.

But after about 30% of the book, I'm struggling a little bit. I think it's because I've just been so damn tired when I get to bed and try to read.

Was speaking to a buddy about SGJ and he asked if I had read Mongrels yet. I haven't, but it gave me a good idea of a reading theme next year. Werewolves.I have quite a few werewolf books that I've read and not read before, and think it could make a good theme. We'll see if that happens or not.

Comment

Starting Stewart O’Nan’s HENRY, HIMSELF, the “companion” volume to EMILY, ALONE, which I’ve read.

Comment

Finished Josh Malerman's "Daphne". Loved it! Anxiety in horror has rarely been done this well. Also, Daphne was a kick-ass "boogeyman"!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            Starting Stewart O’Nan’s HENRY, HIMSELF, the “companion” volume to EMILY, ALONE, which I’ve read.
            Well, that didn’t work. DNF.

Starting AMERICAN AFTERLIFE by Pedro Hoffmeister. Post-apocalyptic (earthquake, etc.) survival in Oregon.

Comment

Finished Let’s go Play at the Adams’ by Mendal Johnson.

Not one to look at from a logical point of view, but if you just take the story for what Johnson was trying to accomplish, it is a real gut punch of a book.

The emotional impact on the reader is similar to Ketchum’s The Girl Next Door, though the stories are structured differently (Ketchum tells more of a traditional linear story, while Johnson presents more of a psychological case study).

B

Comment

Finished the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson from Mysterious Press.

The MP version contained the original novella, proposed changes & edits by Stevenson, an extensive (very!) introduction by Leslie Klinger, and appendices on the various film, play, and graphic adaptations.

B

Comment

Currently reading The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories, Vol. 5.

B

Comment

About 140 pages into Anno Dracula by Kim Newman & really enjoying it so far.

B

Comment

Currently Reading "Three Dark Windows" by Bryan Smith

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                        Finished the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson from Mysterious Press.

The MP version contained the original novella, proposed changes & edits by Stevenson, an extensive (very!) introduction by Leslie Klinger, and appendices on the various film, play, and graphic adaptations.

B
                        That edition looks really cool. The other Annotated classics (that are suggested companions) aren't from Mysterious Press, so I assume they're not similar? Any idea/

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          Started Stephen Graham Jones's My Heart is a Chainsaw last week, and was really enjoying the first part of it because I was hearing his voice while reading it. I've seen him twice recently so I have a good memory of his cadence when he speaks which translates very well to his written words.

But after about 30% of the book, I'm struggling a little bit. I think it's because I've just been so damn tired when I get to bed and try to read.

Was speaking to a buddy about SGJ and he asked if I had read Mongrels yet. I haven't, but it gave me a good idea of a reading theme next year. Werewolves.I have quite a few werewolf books that I've read and not read before, and think it could make a good theme. We'll see if that happens or not.
                          On the last chapter right now. Stayed up late to finish the bonkers penultimate chapter last night, and feel confident I can finish this before the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

That edition looks really cool. The other Annotated classics (that are suggested companions) aren't from Mysterious Press, so I assume they're not similar? Any idea/
                            The Dracula & Frankenstein editions were both done by other publishers (Dracula by Norton & Frankenstein by Liverpool (??)). Stylistically, the covers for all three are similar. I couldn’t comment on the interior content, as I only have the Jekyll & Hyde version from Mysterious Press, which if you are a fan of the story I would highly recommend.

B

Comment

Half way through Road of Bones by Christopher Golden and liking it a lot so far.

A very atmospheric & quick paced read.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                                Half way through Road of Bones by Christopher Golden and liking it a lot so far.

A very atmospheric & quick paced read.

B
                                The second half of the story held up pretty good.

A short, fast paced novel and Golden keeps the tension ratcheted up.

Not a whole lot of explanation (& that may have helped the story).

Now to finish up Inspector Lestrade: The Black Temple & Other Stories by William Meikle.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X