No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to switch things up a bit and read A Handbook of American Prayer by Lucius Shepherd. Only about a quarter of the way through it but enjoying the writing style so far even if it's written a bit flowery in places. This is my first read of this author. This is a fiction book, and I'm not sure what to expect from it, but so far we've had accidental/non premeditated murder, character growth, a little sex, love, and a few hints of something mysterious to come.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Portents edited by Al Sarrantonio. Described as an homage to the Shadow series of quiet horror anthologies edited by Charles Grant. I think I only have one more story to go. Not a bad anthology, though some of the stories are definitely too quiet for my tastes. Favorites so far by Brian Keene & Jeffrey Ford.

B

Comment

Just finished the SST version of Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". Another very solid book by Joe Lansdale. Lots of great characters who I wouldn't be surprised to see creep into some of his other stories. Also enjoyed all of the artwork that SST used for this story. Looks great and really fit into the tone of the book. While I do love me some maps, I thought the inclusion of the map in the back of this book was a bit funny since it had so few locations on it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and feel that SST's production values were up to their usual fantastic standards! Solid B-minus read for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Just finished the SST version of Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". Another very solid book by Joe Lansdale. Lots of great characters who I wouldn't be surprised to see creep into some of his other stories. Also enjoyed all of the artwork that SST used for this story. Looks great and really fit into the tone of the book. While I do love me some maps, I thought the inclusion of the map in the back of this book was a bit funny since it had so few locations on it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and feel that SST's production values were up to their usual fantastic standards! Solid B-minus read for me.
          I coulda sworn I ordered MOON LAKE from somebody--either SST directly or Camelot--but it isn't on my shelf and I can't find an order for it so I guess not. I probably need to rectify that.

Comment

Sixty pages into Blooding Night by Tim Curran and liking it so far. To this point, it’s been more restrained than I was expecting.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
              Sixty pages into Blooding Night by Tim Curran and liking it so far. To this point, it’s been more restrained than I was expecting.

B
              Just finished up Blooding Night by Tim Curran.

Overall, not bad.

One complaint, for a relatively short novel, it is somewhat repetitive (something I’ve noticed in previous books by Curran).

But if you’re looking for some mindless blood & guts for a few nights entertainment, you could certainly do worse than Blooding Night.

B

Comment

Starting The Black Maybe; Liminal Tales by Attila Veres.

Collection of stories by a Hungarian author published by Valancourt Books.

B

Comment

Just finished the SST version of Stephen Graham Jones' "My Heart Is A Chainsaw". Really enjoyed the heck out of this one. As a lifelong horror fan, it was neat seeing all of the slasher/horror references that Jones sneaks into the story. Also thought that the characterization was top-notch. The main character, Jade, really grew on me and felt very real. The first third of this book does feel a little slow; however, once the other two-thirds kick-in, it's pure adrenaline from that point util the end. Jones also makes sure to pay-off all of the red-herrings and info dumps in that first third of the book; so, none of the pages feel wasted. Jones also sneaks lots more humor into this story than I was expecting. Overall, I'm super glad to be able to add this one to my bookcase and give it a solid A grade. I also give SST's production values on this one a solid A grade as well. Cover-Art is fantastic, and those just might be my favorite end-papers of all-time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Starting The Black Maybe; Liminal Tales by Attila Veres.

Collection of stories by a Hungarian author published by Valancourt Books.

B
                    Just finished The Black Maybe by Attila Veres, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

The stories tended to be more weird fiction than horror, with a couple that would have fit right into a Lovecraft anthology.

Of the 10 stories, I found them all to be interesting, with only one story that I really didn’t care for.

Up next, starting Of Foster Homes & Flies by Chad Lutzke later tonight.

To my recollection, I think this will be the first thing I’ve read by Lutzke.

B

Comment

Half way through Fairy Tale by King and really enjoying it so far.

B

Comment

Just finished the PS Publishing version of Stephen King's "Needful Things". Enjoyed the heck out of it. Hadn't read it since its' initial publication and think I liked it much more this go-round. There were whole swathes of the book that I didn't remember at all. For example, totally forgot that Ace Merrill makes an appearance in this book; so, seeing him again was a complete surprise. Also liked the references to other Castle Rock tales that were littered throughout the book. If I had one complaint with the story, it would be that I didn't care for the Polly Chalmers chapters. Had a hard time connecting to her character and found a lot of her sections to be a bit boring. Since the Polly character is a main character, for me, it does drag the story down a bit. Would much rather have spent more time with other characters in the town. That being said, I would still give this story a solid B+ grade. In terms of the production values of the book, I really enjoyed the interior artwork but think that PS could have chosen better artwork for the cover and slipcase. Also wish that PS used a sturdier style of slipcase. Every time I took the book out of the slipcase, it felt like the slipcase could easily rip of be damaged. Haven't actually had that happen with any of the PS slipcases that I own; however, the worry is always there.

Comment

Starting Paul Tremblay’s THE PALLBEARERS CLUB.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

About half way through Let’s go Play at the Adams’ by Mendal Johnson.

Not the kind of book you say you like, but I’ve found the first 150 pages to be compelling reading.

B

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Starting Paul Tremblay’s THE PALLBEARERS CLUB.
                              Before starting this book, I was aware there were mixed reviews on this, far more than his other titles, but I went in optimistic, figuring that as much as I had enjoyed all his other books (to varying degrees) I'd probably be on the side of the fence of those who enjoyed it. But halfway through last night I DNF'd it, the first time I've done that with any of his books, so kinda disappointing. Oh well, no author is going to be bat 500 for every reader.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Before starting this book, I was aware there were mixed reviews on this, far more than his other titles, but I went in optimistic, figuring that as much as I had enjoyed all his other books (to varying degrees) I'd probably be on the side of the fence of those who enjoyed it. But halfway through last night I DNF'd it, the first time I've done that with any of his books, so kinda disappointing. Oh well, no author is going to be bat 500 for every reader.
                                Bummer to hear that! Without venturing too far into spoilers, what didn't work for you? Only asking because I'm thinking of picking up the LE from SST once they announce it but haven't actually read the story yet. Was just assuming that I will enjoy it like everything else he has written.

Comment

Working...
                                X