What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Started Scalzi’s KAIJU PRESERVATION SOCIETY last night.
    Hope you enjoy it!

I bought a standalone paperback of the body for my vacation. Currently reading that.

Comment

I just finished Geoff Cooper's ANSWERS OF SILENCE (Part of Brian Keene's Maelstrom line). I've read all of this praise for Cooper that makes him sound like the second coming, and lamenting his limited output, but man, this was a chore to get through. Almost every story featured the main characters whining about how women have done them wrong, and how badly their divorce scarred them, and how much trouble they have with women. Even the story notes were filled with poor me moments of Cooper whining about his divorce. There was not one story in this collection that I could say I enjoyed. Bits and pieces of some stories showed promise, but overall, not a fan. And the typos were torturous. Assuming Cooper ever writes again, I'll be taking a pass.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just finished Norman Partridge's "Bad Intentions". Picked it up as a part of the Pelan sale over on the Centipede press site. First time reading it and truly enjoyed the heck out of it. One of the better horror short story collections that I 've read recently. Really makes me wish the author was more prolific as I would love to read something newer by him. Am now currently reading Kealan Patrick Burke's "Guests". Picked-up an AGE from Suntup. Love me some Burke, but, have never read any of these novellas before now. Finished the first one, "Jack & Jill", today. Holy crap! Not only was it stone cold brilliant, but, it was truly one of the bleakest things that I have read in quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Just finished Norman Partridge's "Bad Intentions". Picked it up as a part of the Pelan sale over on the Centipede press site. First time reading it and truly enjoyed the heck out of it. One of the better horror short story collections that I 've read recently. Really makes me wish the author was more prolific as I would love to read something newer by him. Am now currently reading Kealan Patrick Burke's "Guests". Picked-up an AGE from Suntup. Love me some Burke, but, have never read any of these novellas before now. Finished the first one, "Jack & Jill", today. Holy crap! Not only was it stone cold brilliant, but, it was truly one of the bleakest things that I have read in quite a while.
          Interesting to see that Partridge is listed as an author in the next anthology from Ellen Datlow, Screaming in the Dark.

No telling if it’s new fiction or a reprint.

Read Jack & Jill a couple years ago when it was published by CD. Don’t remember much about the story, but I do remember it was a holy shit ending.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Interesting to see that Partridge is listed as an author in the next anthology from Ellen Datlow, Screaming in the Dark.

No telling if it’s new fiction or a reprint.

B
            I also noticed Partridge listed as a part of the upcoming "THE DRIVE-IN: MULTIPLEX — a tribute to Joe R. Lansdale's The Drive-In trilogy" coming from Thunderstorm books. Was also wondering if his contribution will be something new or a reprint. Hopefully, as the book gets closer to being offered for pre-order, they will list a table of contents.

Comment

I also noticed Partridge listed as a part of the upcoming "THE DRIVE-IN: MULTIPLEX — a tribute to Joe R. Lansdale's The Drive-In trilogy" coming from Thunderstorm books. Was also wondering if his contribution will be something new or a reprint. Hopefully, as the book gets closer to being offered for pre-order, they will list a table of contents.
              Brian Keene announced in his last newsletter that it is all-new stories. Line-up is great: Joe Lansdale, Keith Lansdale, Josh Malerman, David Schow, James A. Moore, Laird Barron, Mary Sangiovanni, Jonathan Janz, S.A. Crosby, Owen King, Stephen Graham Jones, Gabino Iglesias, Aaron Dries, Elizabeth Massie, Gary Braunbeck, Nancy Collins, Linda Addison, Charles Rutledge, Cynthia Pelayo, Rachel Autumn Deering, and Chet Williamson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Brian Keene announced in his last newsletter that it is all-new stories. Line-up is great: Joe Lansdale, Keith Lansdale, Josh Malerman, David Schow, James A. Moore, Laird Barron, Mary Sangiovanni, Jonathan Janz, S.A. Crosby, Owen King, Stephen Graham Jones, Gabino Iglesias, Aaron Dries, Elizabeth Massie, Gary Braunbeck, Nancy Collins, Linda Addison, Charles Rutledge, Cynthia Pelayo, Rachel Autumn Deering, and Chet Williamson.
                That is really fantastic news! Thanks for sharing that info! Hope I'm able to snag a copy when Thunderstorm puts it up for pre-order in a few months.

Comment

Finished More Tomorrow & Other Stories by Michael Marshall Smith the other night, which was a really great collection.

At nearly 500 pages & 30 stories, I didn’t like everything, but there is certainly enough quality fiction to satisfy any fan of horror or dark fiction.

Next up, my first rereading of Misery in over 30 years.

Nearly 250 pages in & enjoying it as much if not more than I did the first time.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Finished More Tomorrow & Other Stories by Michael Marshall Smith the other night, which was a really great collection.

At nearly 500 pages & 30 stories, I didn’t like everything, but there is certainly enough quality fiction to satisfy any fan of horror or dark fiction.

Next up, my first rereading of Misery in over 30 years.

Nearly 250 pages in & enjoying it as much if not more than I did the first time.

B
                    Absolutely love More Tomorrow & Other Stories by Michael Marshall Smith. One of my all-time favorite horror collections! The title story is a doozy. Much like yourself, it has been forever since I read Misery. I picked-up the Suntup edition awhile ago and have been meaning to give it a read; however, it keeps getting pushed down my to-read stack. Hopefully this year....

I myself just finished Kealan Patrick Burke's Guests. Reading this book was a huge reminder why I love Burke's work so much and at this point will buy about anything he releases. Each of the four novellas was jaw-droppingly good. In my opinion, he just might be the best practitioner of the novella form in horror today.

I am now working my way through the Suntup AGE of Clive Barker's Imajica. Guessing this is going to take me awhile considering the book is close to a 1000 pages. This is actually my first time reading anything by Barker. Figured the Suntup edition would be a nice chance to remedy that. So far, I'm enjoying the heck out of this book. Lots of interesting ideas, characters, creatures, etc. Definitely has a literary feel to it and not a book you fly through. Am wondering if this style/story is truly reflective of Barker's work and if his other books read like this one.

Comment

I am now working my way through the Suntup AGE of Clive Barker's Imajica. Guessing this is going to take me awhile considering the book is close to a 1000 pages. This is actually my first time reading anything by Barker. Figured the Suntup edition would be a nice chance to remedy that. So far, I'm enjoying the heck out of this book. Lots of interesting ideas, characters, creatures, etc. Definitely has a literary feel to it and not a book you fly through. Am wondering if this style/story is truly reflective of Barker's work and if his other books read like this one.
                      All of his books are distinctive, but to me he has a generally recognizable style that spans across his body of work. There are exceptions -- the YA books are more accessible, and the BOOKS OF BLOOD -- his earliest work -- are more raw and brisk -- but overall (of those I've read, and I haven't read him in a while) his style accompanies him and I'd say IMAJICA is largely representative and reflective of most of his other books. That said, IMAJICA it is certainly more fantastical than some of his other work, so his themes and lush imagery there are somewhat unique and elaborate. All that to say: yes and no.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Tonight I'm starting BLACKTOP WASTLELAND, the MidWorld S/L edition. Been waiting to read this one for a long while (almost picked up a signed UK 1st HC shortly after publication), but held off once MidWorld announced their version so I could read it in this edition.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finished Eternal Frankenstein ed by Ross Lockhart. Not bad, not great. Had some interesting takes on the Frankenstein mythos.

Next up, High Moor by Graeme Reynolds. Nearly half way through & enjoying the story so far. It’s a classic werewolf story, with all the classic WW tropes (full moon, walks on two feet, silver). Still, it is a fast paced story & Reynolds writes in an engaging manner.

B

Comment

Have not read Imajica yet (it’s on my TBR pile), but I would agree with RC that it appears to be one of the more fantastical stories, probably more similar to Weaveworld than the Books of Blood, though Barker’s works, even his more outright horror stories (Damnation Game, Books of Blood, Cabal) have a strong fantasy element running through them.

Weaveworld is one my favorites, though you really can’t wrong with any of his early works.

B

Comment

Started Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London. the series looks interesting..

Comment

Finally finished off Clive Barker's Imajica. Enjoyed the heck out of it. Was perhaps a little bloated, but, considering the topics the author was writing about, it doesn't really hurt the book. The book was jammed full of unique characters, ideas, and world-building. While I can understand the author not wanting to do a direct sequel, I'm surprised to hear that he's never gone back into the world of this story (that I know of). So much there to explore. This book definitely has me wanting to read some more Barker.

Am going to read my Suntup AGE of The Collector next. Been many years since I have read this book. I remember really enjoying it; however, it was so long ago that I'm sure the read will feel fresh to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X