No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to finish THE MINDERS by John Marrs. Fantastic read. Enjoyed THE PASSENGERS his previous novel. This one takes place in the UK in the same time as his previous two novels. While all three are stand alone stories he gives enough references to avoid confusion. Next up is LOLA ON FIRE by Mr. Youers then THE BURNING GIRLS by C. J. Tudor.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
      Reading Lola On Fire by Rio Youers . Non stop action. This book is so unbelievably amazing I'm only 135 pages in and I highly recommend it.
      I'm hooked after the first chapter! Reads like an Orphan X novel, and that's a good thing.

Comment

I finished reading Antioch by Jessica Leonard. This novella (133 pages) had lots off twists and was simply odd. I was very disappointed by Antioch. The ending, IMO, left a lot to be desired. I'm now reading Dreamland by Nancy Bilyeau.

Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Edit: Wrong thread for this post.
          Last edited by Ben Staad; 03-17-2021, 10:43 PM.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Finished Jeff Strand's recent non-fiction THE WRITING LIFE, and am about to start his AUTUMN BLEEDS INTO WINTER. Had to get find something compulsively readable and entertaining after a spate of less than satisfying reads...Strand always fits the bill in that regard.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Finished Jeff Strand's recent non-fiction THE WRITING LIFE, and am about to start his AUTUMN BLEEDS INTO WINTER. Had to get find something compulsively readable and entertaining after a spate of less than satisfying reads...Strand always fits the bill in that regard.
              I loved Autumn Bleeds Into Winter. Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Made it about a third of the way through last night, and loving it thus far. Delighted to see that it has the dark coming-of-age vibe that was so prevalent in PRESSURE, and that the humor is largely tempered. I do enjoy his more humorous books as well, but this tempered tone is really what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Comment

Made it about a third of the way through last night, and loving it thus far. Delighted to see that it has the dark coming-of-age vibe that was so prevalent in PRESSURE, and that the humor is largely tempered. I do enjoy his more humorous books as well, but this tempered tone is really what I'm in the mood for at the moment.
                  Yes definitely. My thoughts exactly. It was so different yet still had everything you want from one of his books.

Comment

Yes definitely. My thoughts exactly. It was so different yet still had everything you want from one of his books.
                    Speaking of his Strand's recent releases, what did you think -- if you've read it -- of THE ODDS? That one really surprised me, and is one of my favorites of his more recent work.

Comment

Speaking of his Strand's recent releases, what did you think -- if you've read it -- of THE ODDS? That one really surprised me, and is one of my favorites of his more recent work.
                      Have it but not read it yet. By what you are saying I'm going to move this one up.Hopefully will get to it in the next few weeks.

Comment

I recently finished Paul Tremblay's Survivor Song and enjoyed it quite a bit. Better than The Cabin at the End of the World.

Couldn't decide on what to read next, but ended up grabbing the first Binti novella from Nnedi Okorafor and thought it was really good. Sometimes sci-fi is a little too out there for me. Started the second one last night, and then I'll read the third.

One book I want to reread is V for Vendetta. Somehow it came up in conversation last week at work and I feel it's due for a reread.

Comment

I did enjoy it a good deal, though admittedly wouldn't call it one of his best. Some of the plot points stretched credulity a bit far, and the last third smacked a bit too much of the too-familiar trope of "teenage kids of diverse background corralling together to fight the evil," which for me tempered some of the anxiety stemming from the truly dark, one-on-one clash between the two main characters...just kind of diluted it a bit and reminded me too much of a Stranger Things episode or similar. I guess I was expecting much more, given the immediate praise for this particular work, and while I enjoyed it, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, about the same as his other recent one, ALLISON, which in comparison I suppose I'd rate 7.5. THE ODDS, though, was more like 8.5. I don't believe there's an adult-fiction Strand novel or collection that I haven't read (save for CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS), and I'd put THE ODDS somewhere in the Top Five (albeit near the bottom, after DWELLER, PRESSURE, and a couple others), I think...certainly at least high in the Top Ten...it was great fun.

Comment

I did enjoy it a good deal, though admittedly wouldn't call it one of his best. Some of the plot points stretched credulity a bit far, and the last third smacked a bit too much of the too-familiar trope of "teenage kids of diverse background corralling together to fight the evil," which for me tempered some of the anxiety stemming from the truly dark, one-on-one clash between the two main characters...just kind of diluted it a bit and reminded me too much of a Stranger Things episode or similar. I guess I was expecting much more, given the immediate praise for this particular work, and while I enjoyed it, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, about the same as his other recent one, ALLISON, which in comparison I suppose I'd rate 7.5. THE ODDS, though, was more like 8.5. I don't believe there's an adult-fiction Strand novel or collection that I haven't read (save for CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS), and I'd put THE ODDS somewhere in the Top Five (albeit near the bottom, after DWELLER, PRESSURE, and a couple others), I think...certainly at least high in the Top Ten...it was great fun.
                            Dweller and Pressure are in a world of their own. 2 really good books. I liked Autumn more then you but maybe it’s because I’m a fan of Stranger Things. And it was one of the things I liked about the last part of the book. Not to get to philosophical but feeling like your alone then realizing people are with you was something I liked about it. We all have probably felt like that.
                            Anyway another one of my favorite Strand books is Fangboy. Strand is perfect for the year we have had . Great escapism from reality.

Comment

I finished Lola on Fire last Friday night. Highly recommend this book. Fast paced brutal and with heart. 41/2 stars.

Comment

I finished Lola on Fire last Friday night. Highly recommend this book. Fast paced brutal and with heart. 41/2 stars.
                                FANGBOY is a great one, and I was surprised to read in his WRITING LIFE that it was one of his least successful ones. Go figure.

Good to hear about LOLA...that one's on my radar and still unbought, just needed another nudge to pull the trigger on a copy.

Comment

Working...
                                X