What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn's first novel last night.

Great book. Dark story about one seriously screwed up family.

So much better than Girl Gone, IMO.

Have a few more stories to read in Ghostly, a anthology of ghost stories edited Audrey Niffenegger.

Not bad. Some hits, some misses.

B
    I sure wish Flynn would come back from screenwriting and pen more prose fiction, or figure out a way to juggle the two...she's an astounding talent.

Current read: a Ronald Malfi short-story collection. I've liked just about everything (novels and novellas) that I've read of Malfi's, but this collection is just leaving me kinda cold. Not sure if it's the work or me, but I may throw in the towel shortly if this chill doesn't melt.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

"I sure wish Flynn would come back from screenwriting and pen more prose fiction, or figure out a way to juggle the two...she's an astounding talent."

I always wondered about her minimal output.

Didn't know she was screenwriting.

I always just figured as a writer she was closer to the Thomas Harris end of the writing spectrum rather than the Stephen King end.

B

Comment

Finished up Ghostly, an anthology of ghost stories edited by Audrey Niffenegger, last night. Some hits. Some misses.

Started The Deep by Alma Katsu right after.

75 pages in and while a little slower paced than The Hunger (which I liked a lot), still enjoying it so far.

B

Comment

Just finished "Westlake Soul" by Rio Youers. First time reading this novel and was completely blown away. A masterclass in storytelling and characterization. Don't remember ever feeling so emotional while reading a book before. There were times where I literally had to will myself not to cry. I know that this book wasn't for everyone on the forum, but for me, this novel was perfection. Definitely a book I will be recommending to everyone who asks for an amazing read.

Comment

Just finished "Big Lizard" by Joe & Keith Lansdale. I am a huge fan of Joe Lansdale and have almost everything that he has published; however, I found this story to be very underwhelming. I did love his previous absurdist books such as The Drive-In & the Ned Seal trilogy; however, I just couldn't connect with this one. Not sure if it is because it was co-authored or not; however, at no point did I feel invested in the characters, the setting, or the story itself, which was a bummer as the premise sounded very cool and gave me high hopes going into it. I think this one would have worked better as a comic rather than a novel, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
              Just finished "Big Lizard" by Joe & Keith Lansdale. I am a huge fan of Joe Lansdale and have almost everything that he has published; however, I found this story to be very underwhelming. I did love his previous absurdist books such as The Drive-In & the Ned Seal trilogy; however, I just couldn't connect with this one. Not sure if it is because it was co-authored or not; however, at no point did I feel invested in the characters, the setting, or the story itself, which was a bummer as the premise sounded very cool and gave me high hopes going into it. I think this one would have worked better as a comic rather than a novel, IMO.
              i got those vibes early on — just too “graphic novel” for my taste — so it was the first new Lansdale that I skipped in as long as I can remember. Good to hear my suspicions were correct, but sorry you didn’t enjoy it.

Comment

Finished The Deep by Alma Katsu.

I found the middle of the novel to be too slow & ponderous. At times it felt like I was reading a mainstream historical novel, not a supernatural one.

A muddled ending didn't help things either.

All in all, a disappointment, especially after The Hunger, which I liked a lot.

Started Phantom Limbs, a short story collection by Margo Lanagan.

I liked the first couple of stories. The last few, not so much.

Still have 3 stories to go, so the jury is still out on this collection.

B

Comment

The Man who Cycled the World" by Mark Beaumont. Beaumont spent 194 days riding just over 18,000 miles around the world, smashing the previous works record for the fast circumnavigation by bicycle. The book I'm reading right now is his retelling of his journey.
                  https://printsbery.com/planner-templ...eekly-schedule
                  Last edited by paulag; 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Almost finished with Max Brooks' DEVOLUTION, which is just phenomenal....I can't read it fast enough, and I hate to put it down. This needs to be made into a movie, ASAP. (The movie would probably stink, and have CGI monsters.....) I need more Bigfoot fiction, but I know nothing would come close to this. Any suggestions on worthwhile Bigfoot books?
                    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                      Almost finished with Max Brooks' DEVOLUTION, which is just phenomenal....I can't read it fast enough, and I hate to put it down. This needs to be made into a movie, ASAP. (The movie would probably stink, and have CGI monsters.....) I need more Bigfoot fiction, but I know nothing would come close to this. Any suggestions on worthwhile Bigfoot books?
                      That was one of my favorite reads last year! If done right it would be a fantastic movie.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                        I need more Bigfoot fiction, but I know nothing would come close to this. Any suggestions on worthwhile Bigfoot books?
                        Michael McBride wrote a pretty good one called SNOWBLIND.

Comment

Currently reading: Done with my last book, a DNF. I think I'm going to start the two new (new reprints) Paul Tremblay books from Thunderstorm Press: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...465964546?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

That was one of my favorite reads last year! If done right it would be a fantastic movie.
                            Easily my favorite read in 2020.

Would love to see a movie version, but I agree, no way it could approach the book

B

Comment

Finished Phantom Limbs by Margo Lanagan.

Liked the first half of the collection a good bit. Thought the second half was quite a bit weaker.

Started The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste las night.

75 pages in & liking it a lot.

So far I really like her style of writing. The story just seems to flow, even though at this point (nearly 1/3 in) very little has actually happened.

B

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Michael McBride wrote a pretty good one called SNOWBLIND.
                                I had this one on my radar at one point but lost track of it. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
                                X