What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    The Tommyknockers was a rough read but it is lightyears better than Rose Madder. I agree Misery is a great read!
    See. I enjoyed Rose Madder and Lisey's Story both. Just goes to show how tastes vary. I've never read Dreamcatcher but it wasn't that great. I agree about End of Watch. Mr. Mercedes was the best novel of that trilogy and Finders Keepers grew on me. TGWLTG was just meh. Duma Key is my favorite more recent King novel. People have mixed feelings about it as well.

Comment

We are all different which makes the world a more interesting place.
      I liked Duma Key too, but I also enjoyed Revival, so my tastes are definitely dubious.

Comment

I enjoyed most of King's early novels, the later ones are sort of hit and miss but his short stories are almost always spot on. He is a great short story writer maybe the best of our generation. Again, just an uninformed opinion lol!!

Comment

The thing that hit me about The Tommyknockers was that the whole thing felt down, to me. Most works have light and dark, but this just felt dark and hopeless (which is not to say this is a bad feature for a book to have).
          Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

I have no idea what a re-read of THE TOMMYKNOCKERS would have me think of the book, but when I read it when it came out back in '87, I remember liking it, and there are still a still scenes that I recall while many of his books of that era are virtual blanks to me anymore. In fact, I had so much residual affection for it that I picked up the recent PS 3-volume boxed reprint (though got it for a heckuva deal) that at some point (though likely not anytime soon) I'll use for a re-read.

As to the others discussed, don't at all care for ROSE MADDER or DELORES CLAIBORNE, and tried twice to read LISEY'S STORY and rapidly lost interest each time, maybe 100 or 150 pages in I threw in the towel. Have not tried to read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy as opinions are too all over the map about it, and I generally find myself disliking books of such varying opinion. Haven't read REVIVAL as I don't like really like horror fiction that incorporates the trappings/culture of music or religion, and apparently this one does both. Others mentioned here in brief: MISERY is great. Absolutely no interest in BLACK HOUSE, though I remember liking THE TALISMAN when it came out. DREAMCATCHER may be the worst King book I've read, and with an author like King who is -- for me -- pretty hit (and when he "hits" he hits BIG!) and miss, that's saying something.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

OK, GANG,

Seems there's some confusion about the right opinion to have concerning some of King's works. Don't worry, I'm here to clear it all up for you:

-The Tommyknockers OK. Definitely not King's worst. Not his best, either. Worth re-reading.
              -The Dark Half Another OK entry in the list. Worth re-reading.
              -The Running Man I don't remember this one so well. I'll have to re-read and tell you all what to think.
              -Misery One of King's best. Top 8, for sure.
              -Dolores Claiborne OK. Gerald's Game was a far better Dark Score story, but Gerald's Game isn't being discussed here.
              -The Eyes of the Dragon Fantastic.
              -The Talisman One of King's best. In the top 5. I'm way overdue for a re-read.
              Revival Not even worth discussing. Skip over this one and if you read it, repress those memories and admit to no one that it stole time that you will never get back.
              Rose Madder UNFINISHABLE. Why? Why with this one, King?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                OK, GANG,

Seems there's some confusion about the right opinion to have concerning some of King's works. Don't worry, I'm here to clear it all up for you:

-The Tommyknockers OK. Definitely not King's worst. Not his best, either. Worth re-reading.
                -The Running Man I don't remember this one so well. I'll have to re-read and tell you all what to think.
                -Dolores Claiborne OK. Gerald's Game was a far better Dark Score story, but Gerald's Game isn't being discussed here.
                Revival Not even worth discussing. Skip over this one and if you read it, repress those memories and admit to no one that it stole time that you will never get back.
                Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff. I can finally now get on with the rest of my life.

I completely agree with you about Revival. Although, sadly, it's one of two of the only King sigs I have

Comment

OK, GANG,

I agree with your assessments with three minor changes. 1. I can't speak to The Talisman as I have not read it. 2. Revival while not a great read it was OK. 3. Rose Madder is FINISHABLE as I finished it, I just wish I hadn't!

Comment

I read Elevation last night. (well, listened to SK read it). I liked it a lot. Nice and short - plenty of story and not so much of the padding. Mr. King did a very good job reading it - even doing some character voices. I assume he did it because it's a short work.
                    Having read the reaction earlier on the board that this was a political work, I assume that's due to the Lesbian marriage, and Kings distaste for them being shunned in Castle Rock. I'm surprised that's considered a political statement, and not just a "What's wrong with people!?" statement, but being from somewhere else, I never cease to be surprised by politics in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                      I read Elevation last night. (well, listened to SK read it). I liked it a lot. Nice and short - plenty of story and not so much of the padding. Mr. King did a very good job reading it - even doing some character voices. I assume he did it because it's a short work.
                      Having read the reaction earlier on the board that this was a political work, I assume that's due to the Lesbian marriage, and Kings distaste for them being shunned in Castle Rock. I'm surprised that's considered a political statement, and not just a "What's wrong with people!?" statement, but being from somewhere else, I never cease to be surprised by politics in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
                      I agree with you. That was why I was hesitant to read this one. When I was done I couldn't understand all the fuss. I really liked this story.

Comment

OK, GANG,

Well this isn't the first time you have been wrong. Tommyknockers is definitely a horrible book.
                        Rose Madder I did enjoy. And Revival while not Kings best I definitely did not th I k it was a waste of time that I won't get back.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                          I listened to the audio as well and thought King did well. I also did not see politics in this story. I did want more out of the story than I got though. I will read the book soon and would not be surprised if I like it better the second time around.

Comment

Reading Paradise Sky. Jeff keeps giving this high praise so I moved it up in my tbr pile. So far a great story.
                            Also because of Jeff I just finished Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke. Really good Novella and I look forward to reading more from Chad.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                              Reading Paradise Sky. Jeff keeps giving this high praise so I moved it up in my tbr pile. So far a great story.
                              Also because of Jeff I just finished Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke. Really good Novella and I look forward to reading more from Chad.
                              Oh good! As you noted, I loved Paradise Sky. And Joe Lansdale claims it as his best. Though I think The Thicket was slightly better. And there are those in this very forum who claim The Bottoms is his masterpiece. I recently bought the SubPress edition of The Bottoms from eBay though I haven't read it yet.

And yes, I really liked Of Foster Homes and Flies! Glad you did as well. Lutzke kept it focused and flowing. Great read.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Well this isn't the first time you have been wrong. Tommyknockers is definitely a horrible book.
                                Rose Madder I did enjoy. And Revival while not Kings best I definitely did not th I k it was a waste of time that I won't get back.
                                I may change my mind after reading The Tommyknockers again. I only read it once when it was first published (I was 15 at the time) and all I remember is that the garden shed chapter freaked me out. I want to re-read it through the PS/Daniele Serra experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X