What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I was worried about The Nocturnal Reader's Box adding to much to my house but they have a much larger impact on my TBR pile. I am really impressed with their book selections so far.
    They just sent an email asking us to update our subscription information to include a t-shirt size. While I was updating my profile, I changed my subscription from "monthly" to "3 months pre-paid" because I have been so happy with their boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      They just sent an email asking us to update our subscription information to include a t-shirt size. While I was updating my profile, I changed my subscription from "monthly" to "3 months pre-paid" because I have been so happy with their boxes.
      I am staying on a month to month. I believe the savings on the three month is only $2.00 so at less than a dollar a month I see no need to bother.

Comment

I am staying on a month to month. I believe the savings on the three month is only $2.00 so at less than a dollar a month I see no need to bother.
        Yeah, the savings are small. I'll probably go back to monthly when it's up.

IN OTHER NEWS: I'm reading Goblin by Josh Malerman right now and I think it's excellent. Really fun read in the same vein as Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, It, and Hex. A solid page turner and creepy as hell. I haven't finished the book, but I'm definitely going to buy it when it is offered for presale tomorrow. Which I why I'm letting you all know about it. Earthling Publications is opening up ordering for the book tomorrow and I wouldn't want to miss out!

Comment

IN OTHER NEWS: I'm reading Goblin by Josh Malerman right now and I think it's excellent. Really fun read in the same vein as Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, It, and Hex. A solid page turner and creepy as hell. I haven't finished the book, but I'm definitely going to buy it when it is offered for presale tomorrow. Which I why I'm letting you all know about it. Earthling Publications is opening up ordering for the book tomorrow and I wouldn't want to miss out!
          I have heard good things about Malerman but have not read him yet. At some point I will pick up one of his books.

Comment

I have heard good things about Malerman but have not read him yet. At some point I will pick up one of his books.
            He has the same strong storytelling talent that King has (IMO). So far, this early on, I'm extremely excited. It feels like I'm reading classic King. I just don't want to stop reading. Great stuff.

So far . . .

Comment

I finished The Victorian Act III: Self-Estrangement and now I'm reading Carny Kill, a Black Lizard paperback, by Robert Edmond Alter. Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned the line of Black Lizard paperbacks a while ago.

Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

He has the same strong storytelling talent that King has (IMO). So far, this early on, I'm extremely excited. It feels like I'm reading classic King. I just don't want to stop reading. Great stuff.

So far . . .
                Any specific title?

Comment

Great to hear about Goblin. Hoping to get in on the preorder tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    Any specific title?
                    There's the matter of style and then of story. The stories in Goblin (it's a novel in 6 novellas) feel like they could seamlessly flow into It, Salem's Lot (which I consider something of a precursor to It), or Pet Sematary. Goblin is a town with a long and terrifying history that has repercussions into the present day. The people there are affected and corrupted by the environment--it seems the very air around them. The belong to the town as the damned belong to Hell.

As far as style, Malerman gets at the heart of his characters in a very relatable way. A very King way. I care about them almost immediately and I crave to know what happens next. You feel like you know them. Ordinary people dealing with the extraordinary.

My assessment is based on half a book. So I get that it's not the most informed opinion. But I'm loving what I'm reading and I don't react to all authors like this. For example, I just read Come to Dust by Bracken MacLeod and I was very "meh" about it. I respected the intelligence of the novel and I appreciated the originality and thoughtfulness of the story, but I didn't connect with it the same way I do with King, or McCammon, or Bradbury, or now, with Malerman.

Comment

Even with the poor navigation, I was able to get a copy of the Earthling Publications edition of Goblin. $50 is a good price. Little tentative still because this will be my second blind purchase from Josh Malerman (Bird Box is the other) since I haven't read anything by him (at least that I'm aware of - I always lose track of short stories in various collections . . .)

Thanks to jeffingoff for the head's up!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        Even with the poor navigation, I was able to get a copy of the Earthling Publications edition of Goblin. $50 is a good price. Little tentative still because this will be my second blind purchase from Josh Malerman (Bird Box is the other) since I haven't read anything by him (at least that I'm aware of - I always lose track of short stories in various collections . . .)

Thanks to jeffingoff for the head's up!
                        Yeah I think Paul should rethink Earthling's home page. It was a little crazy how quick I was to get Bird Box--I have both DRP editions on order. Because I had never read Malerman before. I only had reviews from friends to go by. What made me take notice was the wide variety of friends and how they were all saying the same thing about the addictive quality of the novel. But now that I'm reading Goblin, I feel vindicated for pulling the trigger. I also grabbed a copy of Goblin.

Comment

Well... I've pulled the trigger. Still have yet to read his work, but Jeffingoff's praise pushed me just over the edge of the fence. I ordered both Bird Box and Goblin. Hope I can get matching numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            Well... I've pulled the trigger. Still have yet to read his work, but Jeffingoff's praise pushed me just over the edge of the fence. I ordered both Bird Box and Goblin. Hope I can get matching numbers.
                            Damn. Now I feel responsible. I doubt you will hate Malerman--but what if I set your expectations too high, instead of getting you up for delight, I've set you up for disappointment? Maybe I should tell people that GOBLIN sucks!

Seriously, I think Malerman has tremendous talent. And I'm happy to think I've caught on easy enough in his career.

Comment

Damn. Now I feel responsible. I doubt you will hate Malerman--but what if I set your expectations too high...
                              Then you will be banished to the land of mass market paperbacks. The ex-library copy region specifically.

Comment

Harsh.

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                                Then you will be banished to the land of mass market paperbacks. The ex-library copy region specifically.

Comment

Working...
                                X