No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      Currently enjoying Raymond Chandler's Farewell my Lovely.
      Probably not the best Chandler, but a favorite for sure. I love The Long Goodbye, a book that always takes a beating form critics. Best closing line ever though.
      "I never saw any of them again-except the cops. No way has yet been invented to say goodbye to them." I collect the paperbacks, no way I could afford the 1st editions. The artwork for the Ballantine 70's paperbacks is fantastic.

Comment

I've only really read The Big Sleep of the Marlowe series, which I highly enjoyed. This one is like a rollercoaster ride. I'm actually drawing parallels from it to the last book I'd read; White Jazz by James Ellroy. The copy I have is a three book omnibus of The Big Sleep, Farewell... and The High Window from Everyman's Library. Actually a pretty nice edition for an affordable price.

Comment

This is my go to Chandler Omnibus. If you get a chance, Raymond Chandler's Los Angles: A Photographic Odyssey Accompanied by Passages from Chandler's Greatest Works by Elizabeth Ward and Alain Silver, is a haunting, bitter sweet visit to Marlowe's stomping grounds. The Photographs are great!

07212016090648.jpg

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'll keep my eyes open for a copy!

Comment

Just started the fifth Ring by Mitchell Graham, the first of three books in the Fifth Ring series. First published in 2003 and weighing in at 526 pages, I don't know how I missed this one. It's a real page turner. No new ground broken, but the writing is excellent, the characters are interesting and likable and the story moves along. So far, a nice Summer fantasy read. I'd love to see CD get into the fantasy business a little more and this series could be a good start!!

Comment

I've finally decided to open up The Straw Men. Already 1/4 the way through - excellent so far.

Comment

^I've been wanting to pick up a copy myself.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  Just started the fifth Ring by Mitchell Graham, the first of three books in the Fifth Ring series. First published in 2003 and weighing in at 526 pages, I don't know how I missed this one. It's a real page turner. No new ground broken, but the writing is excellent, the characters are interesting and likable and the story moves along. So far, a nice Summer fantasy read. I'd love to see CD get into the fantasy business a little more and this series could be a good start!!
                  Sounds good. It would cool to see CD tackle some fantasy works, but I think that as the premier small press horror publisher they have a lot on their plate already.

Comment

You're probably right, but I know Dan reads Fantasy and I thought that they had expressed some interest in adding some Fantasy titles to their catalog. We can only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      You're probably right, but I know Dan reads Fantasy and I thought that they had expressed some interest in adding some Fantasy titles to their catalog. We can only hope.
                      I think adding some sci-fi titles would be an interesting addition to the line up as well. Maybe something like Dean Koontz Strangers. Sci-Fi/Fantasy stories that have some horror elements to them.

I always thought some of James Rollins novels (Sigma Force) would make for some cool entries into the CD library - Relic by Preston & Child is like this style. I think Thunderhead by P&C would be a great one too!

Comment

I think they dipped their toe into the fantasy realm with the Terry Brooks offering. At that point it also sounded like they were going to be doing more of his works, not sure if that is still in the plans.

Comment

I think if CD tackled some fantasy that the darker side would be more up their alley (and more geared towards their readership) like Karl Edward Wagner's Kane or Joe Abercrombie's First Law... Unfortunately both have been published recently. A really cool one though would be Glen Cook's Black Company series.

I'm currently a quarter of the way through Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, the first of the Hannibal series. Finished of Farewell My Lovely recently and quite enjoyed it. Twisted and twisting, yet also humorous and self-deprecating. Also made a great film adaptation with Murder, My Sweet. Plot's changed a bit from the book, but the atmosphere and even some of the lines are lifted directly from the novel. Interestingly it's the first Marlowe movie, predating The Big Sleep by a couple years.
                          Last edited by Theli; 08-03-2016, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Finished Drood and Catch-22. Started The City of Mirrors.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              I think if CD tackled some fantasy that the darker side would be more up their alley (and more geared towards their readership) like Karl Edward Wagner's Kane or Joe Abercrombie's First Law... Unfortunately both have been published recently. A really cool one though would be Glen Cook's Black Company series.

I'm currently a quarter of the way through Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, the first of the Hannibal series. Finished of Farewell My Lovely recently and quite enjoyed it. Twisted and twisting, yet also humorous and self-deprecating. Also made a great film adaptation with Murder, My Sweet. Plot's changed a bit from the book, but the atmosphere and even some of the lines are lifted directly from the novel. Interestingly it's the first Marlowe movie, predating The Big Sleep by a couple years.
                              Yes, great idea! Black Company please!

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Finished Drood and Catch-22. Started The City of Mirrors.
                              Catch-22 was amazing. I remember starting this novel at a somber 6:00 am, and I was giggling like a child 10 minutes later. The straight-faced Yossarian carved a new path for absurd military humor in the face of realistic horror.
                              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I've never laughed so hard at a book before. I didn't want it to end, but if it didn't I'd probably would have gone insane!

Finished The City of Mirrors. Best of the trilogy, worth the 4-year wait. Currently reading The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest For Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

WHEW!

...by Daniel James Brown.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X