No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rose Madder is my least favorite King novel. Insomnia handles Greek mythology much better.
    Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Terrific book!

Finished Rose Madder. King's most bizarre offering to date. The mixure of Greek mythology and a woman recovering from abuse was awkward at best, repulsive at worst. The DT references thrown seemed to be after thoughts, even though this should have played right into his mythology. But I accept King's explanation that he simply tried too hard on RM, and will move on.

Weaveworld is next.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9792[/ATTACH]

It's been sitting on my bookshelf for 20+years. Time to finally dust it off.

Comment

See, Pete? PRIORITIES!
      Well things have picked up a bit, had to take some vacation time since I'll be losing my job at the end of this month (the whole office is going down), so now I have some very unexpected extra reading time. Napped with the little guy today and read quite a bit of Shivers V. Up next is FDNS.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the job. Hope you get something else lined up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
          The style was different but highly effective for the story. Now I'm curious if McCarthy typically writes this way or if it was just for that one book.
          I agree with it being effective for that story, don't know if it would work with some other stories. I don't think that is the style he normally writes in though, though I have only read that one and most of another (got distracted by life events and never made it back to the back), so he may write in the same style for others.
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.Very good read.I am kind of torn about the pictures that are all through the book.It kind of takes away from the imagination.However the author uses the pictures well in the story.This is a YA book but adults will like it to.

Comment

Currently reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Almost halfway through and it's getting more disturbing by the pages which translate into a great read for me so far this year. Couldn't say yet if it's the best read of the year so far until after I finish the whole book. But after what I've read through so far, this comes highly recommended.

Comment

Gone Girl is on my TBR list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                  Sorry to hear about the job. Hope you get something else lined up soon.
                  Thanks Teri. Applied to a few places already so hopefully I'll have something lined up soon.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the job, too, Pete. Hopefully the job hunt will be very short, and very successful.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

yea Pete good luck finding work. Hope it is soon.

Just finished Genital Grinder by Ryan Harding.This is a MUST READ if you like Edward Lee.This book is sick twisted and fun.I once again like with All You Can Eat found myself laughing when I probably should not have been. There is also the squimish factor that is very high in this short story collection.I can not wait to see what Ryan comes up with next.

Comment

Really getting into Weaveworld. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Like most books that I bought and let sit on my shelves for years, I'm wondering why it took me so long to pick it up.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Really getting into Weaveworld. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.
                          Your the first person I've seen say that. Everyone else had trouble or didnt even get through it.

Comment

Well, it's definitely quirky. And a little bizarre. A lot bizarre (not in an Edward Lee way; though are some scenes that are right up Lee's alley). I chalk it up to those crazy Brits.
                            Last edited by srboone; 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Glad to here you are getting through the book ok.

Comment

Thanks Terry and BW! I'll see how it goes, hopefully I'll find a better paying job and have more $$ for books!

A few stories left in Shivers V, but I'll probably start FDNS tomorrow, as that will be my stay at home book and Shivers I can pack in my bag (in bubblewrap of course!)

Comment

Working...
                                X