No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading Michael Koryta's "An Honest Man". I've been a Koryta fan since pretty much day one, and I've got to agree with others and say this might be his best book. Pretty much everything about it worked for me. Highly recommended!

Since I was so happy with the last read, I've decided to read "Lost Man's Lane" by Scott Carson next. Been sitting in my tbr pile a while.

Comment

In my annual summer reading slump.

Finally finished A Bright and Beautiful Eternal World by James Chambers, an excellent collection of modern Lovecraftian fiction.

It’s the best thing I’ve ever read by Chambers (just edging out Engines of Sacrifice, another excellent collection of Lovecraftian fiction) and one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Moving on to A Child Alone With Strangers. Hoping that Fracassi can get me out of my reading slump!

B

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        I finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin for the third time. It took me a while to get through, not just due to its length nor was it due to not being engaged with the book, but rather that I forgot just how dense Cronin's writing is. I have truly enjoyed this book each time that I've read it and even don't mind the time jump that the book takes, a significant hang-up I had the first time around as I was so invested in that first section--almost a kind of 300 page prologue--of the book. The richness of the world(s) that Cronin builds coupled with the careful attention to the various character arcs and subplots lend to the book's epic nature.

I have am terrible at finishing book series, though, and this will be my third attempt at finishing the trilogy. On each previous attempt, I've waited so long between one book and the next that I felt the need to start over. The first attempt stalled between the first and second book and the second attempt stalled between the second and third book. So I'm making progress and maybe this time I'll actually finish it. That being said, I still am slotting a different book to read between each one just for a breather, so I could still be tempting fate.
        I love The Passage.

I’d rate the trilogy as my all-time favorite read.

Well developed characters, great action, and an incredible story arc told over 2,000+ pages.

Hopefully you’ll finish the trilogy, as I found the ending to be such a satisfying conclusion to this epic story. Typical of Cronin, the ending was both depressing and hopeful.

B

Comment

Just finished reading Lost Man's Lane" by Scott Carson. Cannot recommend this book enough, especially if you're in the mood for a coming-of-age novel rather than full-on horror. Seems like every horror writer pens a coming-of-age book eventually, and Carson's/Kortya's is top-notch. Boy did the characters feel real to me, and while the main character was enjoyable enough, it's the supporting cast that truly shines in this book. Pretty much loved them all. Definitely looking forward to the next Carson book as they seem to keep getting better and better.

Am going to read Rio Youers " No Second Chances" next. Has been in my TBR pile for a while and I think I'm finally ready to dig-in. I've pretty much loved everything that I've read by Youers; so, I've got high hopes for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I love The Passage.

I’d rate the trilogy as my all-time favorite read.

Well developed characters, great action, and an incredible story arc told over 2,000+ pages.

Hopefully you’ll finish the trilogy, as I found the ending to be such a satisfying conclusion to this epic story. Typical of Cronin, the ending was both depressing and hopeful.

B
            Thanks for sharing your praise for the trilogy. It's got me pumped up to continue on. And I am very committed to finishing this trilogy this time, darn it! I'm actually starting the second book today with plans to finish this month. I typically like to get through books faster, but I'm hitting some of my upper division English literature classes and the amount of reading they pile on takes up quite a bit of my time. I plan on taking October off from the trilogy and doing some more ghostly readings for Halloween and then back on to the final book in November. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Just finished reading Rio Youers " No Second Chances". Enjoyed it but didn't love it. Has the same high-octane feeling as "Lola on Fire" but wasn't quite as fun a read for me. I think it may have to do with finding the main character/voice of the book a bit boring/unlikable. Luckily, the side characters are great, and the main villain is memorable which kept me reading. Overall, glad to have read this book, even if it never reached the level of some of his best stuff.

Am now reading Christopher Buehlman's "The Daughter's War". Have been looking forward to this one for a while as I loved "The Blacktongue Thief".

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                Just finished reading Rio Youers " No Second Chances". Enjoyed it but didn't love it. Has the same high-octane feeling as "Lola on Fire" but wasn't quite as fun a read for me. I think it may have to do with finding the main character/voice of the book a bit boring/unlikable. Luckily, the side characters are great, and the main villain is memorable which kept me reading. Overall, glad to have read this book, even if it never reached the level of some of his best stuff.

Am now reading Christopher Buehlman's "The Daughter's War". Have been looking forward to this one for a while as I loved "The Blacktongue Thief".
                I picked up signed 1st HCs of NO SECOND CHANCES and LOLA ON FIRE from VJ Books recent sale...Youers has never blown me away, but for $5 each I figured it was worth it. Guess I won't rush to read CHANCES, but I'll give it its day in court at some point.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I picked up signed 1st HCs of NO SECOND CHANCES and LOLA ON FIRE from VJ Books recent sale...Youers has never blown me away, but for $5 each I figured it was worth it. Guess I won't rush to read CHANCES, but I'll give it its day in court at some point.
                  That's funny as I picked-up Chances via Book Outlet for $5.  Probably would have passed if not marked down.  I would definitely read Lola first, but Chances was still a solid read whenever you do get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X