What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I've been slogging my way through the new Paul Tremblay novel, THE PALLBEARERS CLUB, for close to a month now, and it is the most boring book that I have read in a LONG time. I've finally reached the halfway mark, and nothing has happened. I just don't get all of the love for Tremblay.......I've only read A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, but that was the same kind of "nothing happens, then something maybe happens, but did it really happen...?" kind of story. Just not for me, I guess. I'm enjoying the Mel Brooks autobiography, ALL ABOUT ME! , a LOT more.
    Uh oh. Damn, I’ve been really looking forward to this one, one of more anticipated releases of the year. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with it than you (as, going in, I am a Tremblay fan).
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Uh oh. Damn, I’ve been really looking forward to this one, one of more anticipated releases of the year. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with it than you (as, going in, I am a Tremblay fan).
      As always, my views are clearly in the minority, based on the Goodreads reviews. I'm going to keep going, because I want to see if ANYTHING ever happens, but the book is actually making me angry whenever I read it now, lol. I'd be curious to hear what you and other Tremblay fans think of it when you finish it.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

On Paul Tremblay. While I thought A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS and DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL’S ROCK were fine reads I thought that THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD was amazing and SURVIVOR SONG was also were worth my reading time. Currently reading AURORA by David Koepp.

Comment

Reading a Novella called Crossroads by Laurel Hightower. About 20 pages in and it's pretty good so far. The whole thing is only slightly more than 100 pages.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Just finished my re-read of Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box" (Lividian version). Hadn't read it since it was first published. Enjoyed it even more this go-round. A definite classic! I also really enjoyed all the extras in the Lividian version, especially the artwork and lost first chapter. The one thing I did not enjoy about the Lividian version was that it ended with the short story "Jude Confronts Global Warming", as I truly hate that story. I get what Hill was doing with the story; however, it has always rubbed me the wrong way. Have always felt like it undercuts the characters of Jude & Mary Beth and discounts the strides they've made as people by the end of Heart Shaped Box. IMO, it should never be included with the novel itself.

Think I will read Strange Weather next as I'm on a bit of a Joe Hill kick, (Cemetery Dance Version).

Comment

Finished The Last Watch by JS Dewes.

This one took awhile, as at times my interest definitely waned with the story.

Ultimately, glad I stuck with it & finished it.

At 470 pages, it could have been trimmed by 70 - 100 pages.

Will probably give the second book a try at some point in the future.

Next up, Dark Stars ed. John FD Taff. Six stories into this 12 story anthology, & pretty disappointed with it so far.

Really only liked one story so far (by Priya Sharma), & that was more fantasy than horror.

There are several known authors in the second half, so hoping the rest of the anthology picks up.

B

Comment

Finally finished this up and found it just to be okay. I like short format and felt like this was a little lengthy. Could have been trimmed down a bit more and included in an antho but overall wasn't awful but wasn't good enough that I would look for more of the authors work.

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                Reading a Novella called Crossroads by Laurel Hightower. About 20 pages in and it's pretty good so far. The whole thing is only slightly more than 100 pages.

Comment

The Asylum Confessions by Jack Steen
                  Serial killers confession untold parts of their crimes to the nurse at the Asylum on their deathbed. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Comment

Just finished reading Draculas by F. Paul Wilson. Really enjoyed the heck out of this one. Nothing groundbreaking, just a thoroughly fun novel. Reminded me a bit of a Richard Laymon novel but without the sex. Also had some truly horrific gore scenes. Definitely one of the better multi-author books that I have read. My only (small) complaints were that the book could have used more copyediting as there were a few obvious spelling misprints that should have been caught, and that the cover-art for the book truly sucks and deserves something more than standard stock-art. That being said, I'm still very glad to have added this novel to the collection and can definitely see myself reading it again!

Comment

That is cool news. I had always thought about this book but the cover art had put me off. Now I'm in a bit of a different scenario with collecting but good to hear that the content, stories, were entertaining and worthy of a re-read.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                      Just finished reading Draculas by F. Paul Wilson. Really enjoyed the heck out of this one. Nothing groundbreaking, just a thoroughly fun novel. Reminded me a bit of a Richard Laymon novel but without the sex. Also had some truly horrific gore scenes. Definitely one of the better multi-author books that I have read. My only (small) complaints were that the book could have used more copyediting as there were a few obvious spelling misprints that should have been caught, and that the cover-art for the book truly sucks and deserves something more than standard stock-art. That being said, I'm still very glad to have added this novel to the collection and can definitely see myself reading it again!

Comment

Trying Stephen Volk for the first time, a PS Publishing short-story collection. Only one story in so far, so too early to tell if this is a keeper or not...Nathan Ballingrud sure talks up Volk in his introduction, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Trying Stephen Volk for the first time, a PS Publishing short-story collection. Only one story in so far, so too early to tell if this is a keeper or not...Nathan Ballingrud sure talks up Volk in his introduction, but we'll see.
                          I’ve really liked Volk’s work over the last 10 years or so.

I think he’s one of the best short story writers in the genre.

B

Comment

Finished up Black Heart Boys Choir by Curtis Lawson. I liked it, though there are several places that a complete suspension of disbelief is required to move the story along. It was a short book & fast paced. Lawson hits the ground running & doesn’t let up until the Carrie-esque conclusion, which unfortunately felt rushed.

Started Guests by Kealan Patrick Burke. Read the title story first & liked it a lot. Will probably start Blanky tonight.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I’ve really liked Volk’s work over the last 10 years or so.

I think he’s one of the best short story writers in the genre.

B
                              That’s great to hear (not that I didn’t trust Ballingrud’s introduction, but…) — looking forward to diving back in tonight.

Comment

I’ve been meaning to try Stephen Volk for a long time. Every time PS announces a new collection, I tell myself I’m going to buy it, but never do. I need to just bite the bullet.

Comment

Working...
                                X