What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

The historical quotes are about the attitude in Oregon toward anyone who was not white/caucasian. ~cap
    Oregon's past attitudes regarding Non-Caucasian people is pretty striking. They did finally remove racist language from the state constitution in 2002. I must add that 30% of the voters wanted to leave the language in place. Unfortunately, while less systemic, the issues remain as part of society here.

Here is a short article from Oregon Public Broadcasting.
    A racist history shows why Oregon is still so white - OPB
    They also did a pretty good documentary about the subject.

Comment

Not just Oregon, but Washington too.

The Seattle Times had an interesting article not too long ago about all of the racist language in property covenants and legal descriptions. It was eye opening to see these in black and white.

Racist restrictions in old home deeds across Washington state will get expanded scrutiny

Racial Restrictive Covenants

It's sadly interesting to me to learn about how racist parts of the Pacific Northwest are still to this day.

Comment

Back on topic - since I recently found out that AMC and Apple are working on bringing Hugh Howey's Wool to the small screen, I wanted to reread the Wool trilogy.

I'm only about half way through the third volume of the first collection and it's going really well. I've forgotten SO MUCH about how this story goes. I'm looking forward to Silo and Dust since I remember so little about them.

Comment

Just finished reading Stewart O' Nan's The Night Country. Picked-up a copy of the limited from Lividian and held off reading it until now as I wanted it to be my Halloween read. Wasn't really sure what to expect as this was my first read by O'Nan. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit; though, it definitely wasn't your typical horror read. Very literary. Felt more concerned with emotion and characterization than plot (not in a bad way). If I had to describe the book, the one word that I would use the most is melancholy. This was also a very quiet story. In fact, for me, the book managed to out-quiet Charles Grant which is a feat in my estimation. And man, was the ending of the book bleak. Overall, am very glad that I was finally able to give this author a chance and look forward to my next read from him.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
            Just finished reading Stewart O' Nan's The Night Country. Picked-up a copy of the limited from Lividian and held off reading it until now as I wanted it to be my Halloween read. Wasn't really sure what to expect as this was my first read by O'Nan. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit; though, it definitely wasn't your typical horror read. Very literary. Felt more concerned with emotion and characterization than plot (not in a bad way). If I had to describe the book, the one word that I would use the most is melancholy. This was also a very quiet story. In fact, for me, the book managed to out-quiet Charles Grant which is a feat in my estimation. And man, was the ending of the book bleak. Overall, am very glad that I was finally able to give this author a chance and look forward to my next read from him.
            You describe O'Nan's writing quite well. In my view that story is on the lower end of O'Nan. If you are a King fan you should read 'The Speed Queen'. The original title was 'Deer Stephen King' but King objected to that. 'Songs for the Missing' is an incredible story about loss and the collateral damage associated. 'The Names of the Dead' provides insight into the unseen the scars of war. He is a great writer!

Comment

In a possible sign of the apocalypse I received a book from Amazon today and it was packaged well. I was concerned as it is a $60 book at Amazons price and I was not going to be willing to accept the normal Amazon bumps and bruises. Book and slipcase was in a nearly perfect sized box with air pillows filling the blank space.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

You describe O'Nan's writing quite well. In my view that story is on the lower end of O'Nan. If you are a King fan you should read 'The Speed Queen'. The original title was 'Deer Stephen King' but King objected to that. 'Songs for the Missing' is an incredible story about loss and the collateral damage associated. 'The Names of the Dead' provides insight into the unseen the scars of war. He is a great writer!
                Thanks for the recommendation Martin! I just went ahead and ordered The Speed Queen. Am a huge King fan and hadn't heard of this book before; so, I'm excited to give it a go. FYI, while I was placing that order, I happened to notice that O'Nan has another book coming out in March titled "Ocean State". The book's description sounds very interesting. Assuming that I enjoy Speed Queen, then I will probably pre-order Ocean State and just carve out an O'nan space in my library at home.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation Martin! I just went ahead and ordered The Speed Queen. Am a huge King fan and hadn't heard of this book before; so, I'm excited to give it a go. FYI, while I was placing that order, I happened to notice that O'Nan has another book coming out in March titled "Ocean State". The book's description sounds very interesting. Assuming that I enjoy Speed Queen, then I will probably pre-order Ocean State and just carve out an O'nan space in my library at home.
                  Ocean State will be a 2022 read for me!

Comment

Looking forward to OCEAN STATE as well.

I started last night Richard Lange’s new one, ROVERS, a (set in) 1970s gritty revenge-crime thriller with odes to OF MICE AND MEN and vampiric bikers.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Looking forward to OCEAN STATE as well.

I started last night Richard Lange’s new one, ROVERS, a (set in) 1970s gritty revenge-crime thriller with odes to OF MICE AND MEN and vampiric bikers.
                      I've been so close to pulling the trigger on ROVERS. Sounds bonkers and has gotten some great reviews. Am hoping that you will share your thoughts about it once you are finished. Perhaps that will be enough for me to finally hit the buy button on it.

Comment

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on ROVERS. Sounds bonkers and has gotten some great reviews. Am hoping that you will share your thoughts about it once you are finished. Perhaps that will be enough for me to finally hit the buy button on it.
                        Will do. I’ll post my thoughts on it to this thread…figure about a week or so.

Comment

I finished reading The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye and The Lord Came At Twilight by Daniel Mills. Now I'm reading The Skull Ring by Scott Nicholson and Grim Death and Bill the Electrocuted Criminal by Mike Mignola and Thomas E Sniegoski.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Read Graham Masterton’s COLLECTION FORTNIGHT OF FEAR. ROVERS is a great read. As I mentioned in an earlier post it has elements of OF MICE AND MEN as well as the movie Near Dark. Also finished the latest John Grisham and Anthony Horowitz. Just started THE ICEPICK SURGEON by Sam Kean.

Jim

Comment

Will do. I’ll post my thoughts on it to this thread…figure about a week or so.
                              I enjoyed ROVERS — probably a 7.5 of 10. It wasn’t the gritty ‘70s homage that I’d hoped, nor was it a balanced hybrid of crime and horror as expected, but it was a respectable horror’ish novel that kept my attention. Reminds me a bit of Lange’s last one — THE SMACK — in that it just lacked some delivery on its premise, its execution not quite up the level of its concept. Entertaining, but generally unremarkable.

Comment

I enjoyed ROVERS — probably a 7.5 of 10. It wasn’t the gritty ‘70s homage that I’d hoped, nor was it a balanced hybrid of crime and horror as expected, but it was a respectable horror’ish novel that kept my attention. Reminds me a bit of Lange’s last one — THE SMACK — in that it just lacked some delivery on its premise, its execution not quite up the level of its concept. Entertaining, but generally unremarkable.
                                I found it more philosophical than action packed for sure. I liked it a little more than you did Ron. Different tack, have you read Estleman's hit man series Macklin?

Comment

Working...
                                X