No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished DOUBLE THREAT by F. Paul Wilson. Sometimes I forget what a great writer Mr. Wilson is. About halfway through FALLING by T. J. Newman. Next up is THE FINAL GIRLS SUPPORT GROUP by Grady Hendrix.

Jim

Comment

Making my way through the three-volume choose-your-own-pathway WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, and loving it so far. I'm around 10 stories in (Out of 101), and it is like nothing else I've ever read. This was supposed to be my big vacation read last week, but our vacation trip was derailed after one day, and we had to come right back home, so I'm slowly making my way through it at as time permits, alone with Rick Huatala's THE MOUNTAIN KING and a few others.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
        Making my way through the three-volume choose-your-own-pathway WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, and loving it so far. I'm around 10 stories in (Out of 101), and it is like nothing else I've ever read. This was supposed to be my big vacation read last week, but our vacation trip was derailed after one day, and we had to come right back home, so I'm slowly making my way through it at as time permits, alone with Rick Huatala's THE MOUNTAIN KING and a few others.
        WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK has me super-intrigued. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it multiple times. I’d love to hear your thoughts once you’ve finished it.

Comment

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of A Scanner Darkly. Has been awhile since I read this novel. I forgot how much humor was in this book. The paranoid rants of the druggies really crack me up which is a good thing considering how bleak the rest of the book tends to be. Love the ending as well. Overall, while Dick's writing can be hit or miss for me, this is a novel that I definitely enjoyed.

Comment

Starting Lansdale’s MOON LAKE.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of The Auctioneer. Had never read nor even heard of this story until I made this purchase. Am very glad that I took the chance as I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Loved the way the author slowly ratcheted-up the tension in this story. By the end of the book, my anxiety level was through the roof. Also thought the that husband's introduction to this book was very heartbreaking and at least as scary as the story itself. What a shame that the author never got to really enjoy the success of this book and instead had to die so young.

Comment

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of Fahrenheit 451. Sadly, this was one of the few Bradbury stories that I hadn't read until now. While it was a little dated, the message of the story is timeless. I had many preconceptions as to what this story would be and most of them were subverted (in a good way). Really enjoyed the character of Clarisse and wish she would have stuck around longer. I also really liked the concept of the mechanical hound and found it to be a very cool idea. Overall, I did enjoy this book and am glad to finally have a good copy of it for my library.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of The Auctioneer. Had never read nor even heard of this story until I made this purchase. Am very glad that I took the chance as I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Loved the way the author slowly ratcheted-up the tension in this story. By the end of the book, my anxiety level was through the roof. Also thought the that husband's introduction to this book was very heartbreaking and at least as scary as the story itself. What a shame that the author never got to really enjoy the success of this book and instead had to die so young.

Finally got around to reading my Suntup AGE of Fahrenheit 451. Sadly, this was one of the few Bradbury stories that I hadn't read until now. While it was a little dated, the message of the story is timeless. I had many preconceptions as to what this story would be and most of them were subverted (in a good way). Really enjoyed the character of Clarisse and wish she would have stuck around longer. I also really liked the concept of the mechanical hound and found it to be a very cool idea. Overall, I did enjoy this book and am glad to finally have a good copy of it for my library.
                  Always great to see folks introduced to the true classics of the genre, the cream of the crop, via these Suntup (and other) reprints...those two are certainly high on the list of Very Special Works.

Me, I'm trying out a new-to-me-but-popular-in-the-mainstream author -- Dennis Lehane -- for the first time via his short novel, THE DROP. Started it last night so only about a quarter of the way in, but so far, so good.

EDIT (a few days later): ...and THE DROP was fantastic, finished it last night -- highly recommended for the noir-thriller fans among us.
                  Last edited by RonClinton; 08-09-2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Just finished "The Devil's Equinox" by John Everson. What a twisted little book. Felt like a cross between Richard Laymon and Edward Lee. If you've enjoyed either of those authors in the past, than you will probably enjoy this book. Definitely not for the fainthearted or for those easily offended.

Comment

Just finished "Voodoo Heart" by John Everson. I would rate it a solid C to C- read. While not groundbreaking in any way, it was an enjoyable read. I've always loved New Orleans as a setting for horror stories. In this one, you get the expected amounts of Voodoo, swamps, & blood. There are also some genuinely creepy and gory scenes in this book. My biggest gripe with this story was that there were a few major plot holes that were ignored and that the mystery portion of the book was a bit underwhelming an easily guessed. For example, at one point in the book, a few detectives on the New Orleans police force go missing while working the case with the main character; however, that plot point is essentially ignored for the remainder of the story. Pretty sure that if police officers went missing during a case that shit would hit the fan.

Comment

Just finished "The House by the Cemetery" by John Everson. Enjoyed the heck out of this book. What a bloodfest!!! Loved the setting of a haunted house, (not a house that is haunted). Loved the homage to various horror films located in the haunted house. My only (small) gripe was that there were quite a few characters to keep track of and none that you truly root for; however, by the time you get to the ending of the book, you realize that the author needed a large cast of characters in order to satisfy the gonzo ending of the story. This book is definitely not for the squeamish and would make a great Halloween read!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

EDIT (a few days later): ...and THE DROP was fantastic, finished it last night -- highly recommended for the noir-thriller fans among us.
                          This had me searching: I saw the 2014 film soon after release on cable and was absolutely floored by it. In fact, I re-watched it several times, as I found the story and all of the performances outstanding. I seemed to always like the films based on Lehane's books so I went looking for the source material and found the short story Animal Rescue online. I really liked the story, but it was a bit different (ahem) animal than the movie. I didn't know that he then did a novelization of the film. Had you also read the short, Ron? Seen the film? I've gotta get me some Lehane books...

Comment

About a 1/3 of the way through 'Chasing the Boogeyman'. I generally always like fiction that reads like true crime. The jury is still out on this story. Intrigued but not sold yet.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

This had me searching: I saw the 2014 film soon after release on cable and was absolutely floored by it. In fact, I re-watched it several times, as I found the story and all of the performances outstanding. I seemed to always like the films based on Lehane's books so I went looking for the source material and found the short story Animal Rescue online. I really liked the story, but it was a bit different (ahem) animal than the movie. I didn't know that he then did a novelization of the film. Had you also read the short, Ron? Seen the film? I've gotta get me some Lehane books...
                              I haven’t seen the film, but as you correctly point out this was an expansion of the original short story, which I haven’t read, and I understand this novel expansion followed the film, so it’s a novelization of sorts (writer of both film and book was Lehane). This was my first Lehane, but not my last…just last night, in fact, I bought a cheap lot of three 1st ed. HC Lehane titles: CORONADO (short-story collection), SHUTTER ISLAND, and LIVE BY NIGHT.

Comment

Just finished Tim Waggoner's "They Kill". This was a very fast paced & weird horror novel. Lots of body horror, gore, violence, crazy kills, & sex in this one. If you enjoy splatterpunk novels, then you'll probably like this one. My only complaint with this one was that the ending felt a bit rushed and the main antagonist's motivations weren't really explained; however, if you've previously read any Waggoner novels, the ending does tie-into the overall mythos that he has built.

Comment

Working...
                                X