No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Disappearance at Devil's Rock earlier today, and for my mine money it's just as good as Head Full of Ghosts.

There are a lot of similarities between the two books (troubled teenaged protagonist, plucky younger sisters who often know more than they let on, the negative effects from an on-air / social media onslaught), but both books stand on their on own.

As with Ghosts, Tremblay hints at the supernatural in Disappearance, but the horror is firmly based in the real world.

Disappearance also reminded of Straub's Blue Rose stories, or A Special Place, were boys / young men are negatively influenced by older, enigmatic male figures.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
      Finished Disappearance at Devil's Rock earlier today, and for my mine money it's just as good as Head Full of Ghosts.

There are a lot of similarities between the two books (troubled teenaged protagonist, plucky younger sisters who often know more than they let on, the negative effects from an on-air / social media onslaught), but both books stand on their on own.

As with Ghosts, Tremblay hints at the supernatural in Disappearance, but the horror is firmly based in the real world.

Disappearance also reminded of Straub's Blue Rose stories, or A Special Place, were boys / young men are negatively influenced by older, enigmatic male figures.

B
      A comparison to A Special Place is very high price in my view. I may have to jump this one up on my TBR.

Comment

Just finished reading the Lividian edition of 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Hadn't had a chance to give it a read until now as my to-be read stack is quite large. Forgot how amazing this collection of stories truly is. Don't think there is a weak story in the bunch. Wanted to pick a favorite to single out but came to the conclusion that it would be impossible. Too many of them are five star reads. Also thought the production of this edition by Lividian was top-notch. I don't normally like books without a dust jacket, but, this one may be one of the rare exceptions. The materials used to bind the book are great and look very nice. The paper is good quality. Love books that have ribbon markers. Also thought that each piece of art fit the stories it accompanied perfectly. Very glad I purchased this edition!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
          Just finished reading the Lividian edition of 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Hadn't had a chance to give it a read until now as my to-be read stack is quite large. Forgot how amazing this collection of stories truly is. Don't think there is a weak story in the bunch. Wanted to pick a favorite to single out but came to the conclusion that it would be impossible. Too many of them are five star reads. Also thought the production of this edition by Lividian was top-notch. I don't normally like books without a dust jacket, but, this one may be one of the rare exceptions. The materials used to bind the book are great and look very nice. The paper is good quality. Love books that have ribbon markers. Also thought that each piece of art fit the stories it accompanied perfectly. Very glad I purchased this edition!
          Love that book and think Lividian did an amazing job with it! One question. You mentioned loving the ribbon markers. Do you actually use them? Not sure why but I have never actually used one. I continue to use a bookmark even when the book has a ribbon marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Love that book and think Lividian did an amazing job with it! One question. You mentioned loving the ribbon markers. Do you actually use them? Not sure why but I have never actually used one. I continue to use a bookmark even when the book has a ribbon marker.
            I do enjoy a good bookmark; however, when a book does include the ribbon marker, then I will usually use that instead of the bookmark. I always read the limited editions that I buy and worry a bit about whether a bookmark might accidently cause a small bit of damage (ink bleed, paper bend, etc). With a ribbon marker, that is pretty much impossible. Probably over thinking things and worrying a bit needlessly tho.

Comment

I do enjoy a good bookmark; however, when a book does include the ribbon marker, then I will usually use that instead of the bookmark. I always read the limited editions that I buy and worry a bit about whether a bookmark might accidently cause a small bit of damage (ink bleed, paper bend, etc). With a ribbon marker, that is pretty much impossible. Probably over thinking things and worrying a bit needlessly tho.
              I do not think you are overthinking it at all. I have many bookmarks. The ones I use on limited and first edition books are all thin metal. I generally do not use the paper bookmarks with printing on them, I do however keep the Suntup bookmarks in the front of the book they came with. I also have some thicker metal bookmarks and, although I have never seen them negatively impact a book, I do not use them in books I want keep as pristine as a read book can be. I asked the question because I have sometimes wondered if I was in the minority or majority with regards to never using them. I am not even sure why I chose not to use them. I just have never felt comfortable with the idea of using them.

Comment

Currently reading HEAVEN’S A LIE by Wallace Stroby, a noir thriller.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Fishing for Dinosaurs and Other Stories". Was another amazing read from Lansdale. Had previously read all of the novellas in this book (Black Hat Jack, Fishing for Dinosaurs, The Ape Mans Brother, & Prisoner 489) except for the newest one, "Sixty-eight Barrels on Treasure Lake". Was nice to revisit those previously read novellas again as each one is fantastic and distinct from each other. The new novella, "Sixty-eight Barrels on Treasure Lake", was worth the price of this book by itself and might be the best of the bunch (Black Hat Jack was a close second). What a fun read. I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to combining monsters with the old west and Lansdale might just be the best at doing that. Overall a 4-5 star read for me.

Comment

Just finished Joe Lansdale's "Fishing for Dinosaurs and Other Stories". Was another amazing read from Lansdale. Had previously read all of the novellas in this book (Black Hat Jack, Fishing for Dinosaurs, The Ape Mans Brother, & Prisoner 489) except for the newest one, "Sixty-eight Barrels on Treasure Lake". Was nice to revisit those previously read novellas again as each one is fantastic and distinct from each other. The new novella, "Sixty-eight Barrels on Treasure Lake", was worth the price of this book by itself and might be the best of the bunch (Black Hat Jack was a close second). What a fun read. I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to combining monsters with the old west and Lansdale might just be the best at doing that. Overall a 4-5 star read for me.
                    I am ready for a Lansdale fix. I may have to look for this one.

Comment

Not quite a quarter of the way into "Project Hail Mary" and loving it so far! Also reading "On Juneteenth" and it is interesting so far.

Comment

Finished Chiral Mad 4 yesterday, an anthology of stories that were all collaborations (either co-authors or author / artist).

I found the stories tended to be interesting & engaging, but with lack luster conclusions.

Started The Darkest Lullabye by Jonathan Janz last night.

As with just about everything else I've read by Janz, the story flows and is very readable, but at nearly 1/3 of the way through, The Darkest Lullabye is VERY similar to the last Janz book I read (and the novel he published before this one), House of Skin.

B

Comment

Finally getting around to King’s LATER. Am about 2/3 of the way through.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished Martha Wells' "The Murderbot Diaries". I know that some people on the forum didn't dig this book; however, I really enjoyed it. Loved the characterization for Murderbot. Also loved the way that Murderbot interacts with humans and other bots. May shelve this one next to " Sea of Rust" as Murderbot and Brittle are probably two of my favorite (recent) robots/AI stories.

Comment

Just finished Martha Wells' "The Murderbot Diaries". I know that some people on the forum didn't dig this book; however, I really enjoyed it. Loved the characterization for Murderbot. Also loved the way that Murderbot interacts with humans and other bots. May shelve this one next to " Sea of Rust" as Murderbot and Brittle are probably two of my favorite (recent) robots/AI stories.
                              I am one who did not care for the first two books. In all fairness to the stories though I am not a big Sci Fi person.

Comment

Finished The Darkest Lullaby by Jonathan Janz.

Liked it, although I did find several things in the story to be very similar to some other novels by Janz, namely The Siren & the Specter and House of Skin.

Lullaby was written in Janz's usual fast paced style and with his appreciation of the horror genre that preceded him.

Currently about half way through The Wide Carnivorous Sky & Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan and really liking this one so far.

The stories tend to be on the longish side, as Langan takes his time to tell a tale, allowing the reader to really sink their teeth into the stories.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X