No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Jack Ketchum's "Cover". While not quite as good as Offseason and the Girl Next Door, I still found this to be a very good book. Author used a lot of genre tropes and managed to still make them seem fresh and the character choices surprising. Oodles of tension in this story. Overall, a very satisfying read.

Comment

I recently finished To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini. A slightly different take on the other Space Opera stuff I have read. At times it was a little slow, and it's a big book. But I stuck with it and am glad I did. It's well-positioned to t be the first in a series.
      I never read any of his Dragon books but one of my kids read them all. I'd say 4/5

Prior to that, I read Firewalkers by Adrian Tchaikovsky. A nice little novella set in a near-future ravaged by climate change. Also 4/5

I am currently reading The Midnight Library by Matt Haig, and I'm loving it. Yet another take on the alternate lives thing, but handled with grace. I have only read one other of his novels but will definitely read more.

Next will be Later.

Comment

I love Matt Haig’s work and was really looking forward to THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY, but found it far too heavy-handed and obvious, with little of the clever nuance of his other recent works. I admire the intent of the work, but the execution fell flat for me.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Nearly finished with The Caller of the Black by Brian Lumley, his first short story collection published by Arkham House by in 1971.

I would describe the stories in Caller as more fun than good. Without exception, the stories are all firmly in the territory of Lovecraft pastiche.

As a fan of Lumley's short fiction, it provides an interesting starting point for an author who went on to publish much better work, especially in the Lovecraft cannon.

B

Comment

Finished Let the Right One In. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Great character development.

Comment

Just finished Christopher Golden's "Red Hands". Very enjoyable read. Starts off with a bang and doesn't let up until the ending. Interesting plot with very developed characters. While not quite as good as the first book in the series, Ararat, it does come in as a close second.

Comment

I'm a 152 pages into Stephen King's Later. I'm enjoying it. I hope they do a hardback to go along with the copy of Joyland.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  I'm a 152 pages into Stephen King's Later. I'm enjoying it. I hope they do a hardback to go along with the copy of Joyland.
                  Loved Later!

Comment

They've done a limited, unsigned HC release.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                      Just finished Christopher Golden's "Red Hands". Very enjoyable read. Starts off with a bang and doesn't let up until the ending. Interesting plot with very developed characters. While not quite as good as the first book in the series, Ararat, it does come in as a close second.
                      I have only read a few things from Mr. Golden and really enjoyed them. I need to read some more from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

They've done a limited, unsigned HC release.
                        Thanks Brian, is it on the Hard Case site??

Comment

I believe it quickly sold out.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm sure Ron is correct. I ordered mine from the site where I was trying to score a signed limited. Another Planet I believe was the site and they were going for $50 retail. I have the order confirmation stashed some place in my email. Still irritated over that debacle.

Comment

It was sold through Another Universe and as stated is sold out. Another Universe · LATER by STEPHEN KING UNSIGNED, HARDCOVER (STANDARD) EDITION (SOLD OUT

Comment

Ah, well, Win Some, Lose some LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X