X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by khaos View Post

I'm enjoying it so far. Continues the Ben Walker character from The Pandora Room and Ararat. That's what made me order it and moved it up my list. I didn't realize that when it came out so I didn't order it until several months after release.
    I've also really enjoyed the Ben Walker series of books so far and am hoping that Golden will keep it going. I also think that someone should do a limited edition of Ararat asap as that book truly deserves it.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Recently received the limited edition of Robert McCammon's "Usher's Passing" from CD and just finished giving it a read. I enjoyed it much more this time around than when I first read it many years ago. Doubt McCammon would ever write a sequel as that doesn't seem to be his sort of thing; however, the conclusion of this book definitely left room for it. I would love to see what these characters are now up to now. In terms of the book's production, I enjoyed every aspect of it except for the slipcase. I really wish CD would have chosen something more unique than a standard black slipcase. I also wish that CD had printed the title of the book on the spine of the slipcase rather than leave it blank. I display my books spine-out; however, with there being no indication of the title or author on the spine of the slipcase, one would have to pull the book out of the slipcase to really know what they are looking at. I would probably know since it is my library and I arranged it; however, any guests who are looking at my collection would have no idea of what I am displaying. Still, overall, I am very glad to have added this book to my collection.

Leave a comment:

• khaos
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Please let us know about the Golden book. My limited reading of his work has left me wanting more.
    I'm enjoying it so far. Continues the Ben Walker character from The Pandora Room and Ararat. That's what made me order it and moved it up my list. I didn't realize that when it came out so I didn't order it until several months after release.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by khaos View Post
    I'm reading Red Hands by Christopher Golden and the Transmetropolitan comic series.
    Please let us know about the Golden book. My limited reading of his work has left me wanting more.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Nice grab bag items. I also passed on Sky as Lansdale’s more bizarro stuff doesn’t always connect with me as well as his other fiction does.
    Jane Goes North does not fall into the bizarro stuff. It is much closer to Hap and Leonard. I do believe The Sky Done Ripped will, I believe, fall into that category.

Leave a comment:

• khaos
    replied
    I'm reading Red Hands by Christopher Golden and the Transmetropolitan comic series.

Leave a comment:

• kresby
    replied
    Books read and recommended for May, 2021.

Hard cover -

1. Patterns of Chaos by Lucas Mangum from Thunderstorm. Collects 4 novellas. All good. One especially powerful.

2. Richard Laymon's Midnight's Lair Special Definitive Edition from DRP. Fantastic. I love Laymon. Never read this one before so was special fun.

3. Cold Dead Hands by Jeff Strand from Cemetery Dance. A page-turner with hostages stuck in a grocery store freezer. It’s funny, scary and a thriller.

4. Where the Devil Waits by Wesley Southard & Mark Steensland from Thunderstorm. Good devil, zombie, crime thriller. A few unique twists help keep it going.

5. The Monster Maker and Other Stories by W. C. Morrow from Midnight House. Many good shorts here with a couple great ones.

6. The Shapes of Night by Mary SanGiovanni from Thunderstorm. SanGiovanni never disappoints. Many nightmares found here.

Paperback -

7. Stories For the Next Pandemic by Brian Keene from Thunderstorm. Keene writes great short stories and the story notes are awesome. Love it.

8. Hardcore Kelli by Wrath James White from Cemetery Dance. Another violent page-turner from this pro.

Favorites = #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I passed as well and then received it in a grab bag. I also received 'The Sky Done Ripped' in the same grab bag. I am debating that one as I believe it is part of a series and I am not sure if I should read it from the start. Since I have it I will probably just read this one.
    Nice grab bag items. I also passed on Sky as Lansdale’s more bizarro stuff doesn’t always connect with me as well as his other fiction does.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I had passed on Jane Goes North, but your review makes me think I made the wrong choice. I should know better than to pass on Lansdale.
    I passed as well and then received it in a grab bag. I also received 'The Sky Done Ripped' in the same grab bag. I am debating that one as I believe it is part of a series and I am not sure if I should read it from the start. Since I have it I will probably just read this one.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Finished Lansdale's 'Jane Goes' North a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. It is one of those rare stories that I wish could forget so I could experience reading it for the first time again. Had the buddy tales of Hap and Leonard but the story line was completely unique. I really want more stories with Jane and Henry, the story has a good ending but I want to know what happens next.

Started Owen King's Little book. Read the Fiction and Review sections and am enjoying it so far. The fiction was interesting, not great but enjoyable. The review were well written and interesting. I will say that I am glad they are not books in my TBR as the reviews are NOT spoiler free.
    I had passed on Jane Goes North, but your review makes me think I made the wrong choice. I should know better than to pass on Lansdale.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    I read Replay a little while ago (after the discussions here) and loved it. I also bought a first Trade. Not even close to springing for a Suntup version though.

And Martin, I feel the same way about Joe Lansdale. I have so many of his books and so little time to read them all. I just read Zeppelins West the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have the three slipcased volumes from Sub Press. Jane goes North is in the queue along with lots of others.
    Finished Lansdale's 'Jane Goes' North a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. It is one of those rare stories that I wish could forget so I could experience reading it for the first time again. Had the buddy tales of Hap and Leonard but the story line was completely unique. I really want more stories with Jane and Henry, the story has a good ending but I want to know what happens next.

Started Owen King's Little book. Read the Fiction and Review sections and am enjoying it so far. The fiction was interesting, not great but enjoyable. The review were well written and interesting. I will say that I am glad they are not books in my TBR as the reviews are NOT spoiler free.

Leave a comment:

• HumphreyBear
    replied
    I read Replay a little while ago (after the discussions here) and loved it. I also bought a first Trade. Not even close to springing for a Suntup version though.

And Martin, I feel the same way about Joe Lansdale. I have so many of his books and so little time to read them all. I just read Zeppelins West the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have the three slipcased volumes from Sub Press. Jane goes North is in the queue along with lots of others.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I'm reading....Replay Ken Grimwood. I didn't spring for the Suntup Press edition, but I found a Nice reasonably priced first edition. I think it's eerily that the book opens with a heart attack and he passed away from a heart attack at the age of 59.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Currently reading Joe R. Lansdale's 'Jane Goes North'. This is a strange little story about two strangers traveling together to each be able to afford the trip. It is really a strange tale but about 30% in I am loving the journey. Lansdale can entertain me with the most mundane stories, just a brilliant writer!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I have Wounds in my TBR pile and really need to bump it up.

North American Lake Monsters was an excellent collection.

B
    I’m chomping at the bit to read LAKE MONSTERS but my sensible side is looking at all the books in the TBR pile and saying I need to get through those first. Once you read WOUNDS I’d love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-06-2021, 06:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X