What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Just finished The Silence yesterday and read Touch the Night right before that. If I were choosing between the two, I would go with Touch the Night. The Silence was a good but standard apocalypse story; however, at least to me, Touch the Night was a much more original/bonkers novel with some amazing characterization. Touch the Night was my first Max Booth III read, and based on its strength, I will be reading his next book for sure!
    THAT settles it. I'll read Touch the Night next. I was hoping it would be as good as described and your use of the word bonkers heartens me.

Comment

Becoming - A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice by Michelle Obama
      I love the questions included in this "journal". It's full of thought provoking personal questions that make self growth easier and guided.
      Last edited by paulag; 09-29-2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Just finished Max Brooks' "Devolution". Liked it way more than I expected. I was worried that it would verge into silliness territory, but, it treated the premise in a very grounded way. Overall, the writing was good and the characters enjoyable. My only complaint might be that it could have been scarier. There were some scary scenes, but, the real vibe of the book is tenseness as opposed to scariness.

For my next read, I plan to begin Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon". Was able to pick-up a copy of the Suntup gift edition which is gorgeous. This will be my first time reading this novel and am hoping it is as great as I have heard.

Comment

Just finished Max Brooks' "Devolution". Liked it way more than I expected. I was worried that it would verge into silliness territory, but, it treated the premise in a very grounded way. Overall, the writing was good and the characters enjoyable. My only complaint might be that it could have been scarier. There were some scary scenes, but, the real vibe of the book is tenseness as opposed to scariness.

For my next read, I plan to begin Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon". Was able to pick-up a copy of the Suntup gift edition which is gorgeous. This will be my first time reading this novel and am hoping it is as great as I have heard.
          I really enjoyed Devolution. I enjoyed the societal aspects more than I would have liked scares.

Comment

Red Dragon is a great book. I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Red Dragon is a great book. I hope you enjoy it.
              Yes it is! Actually all but one Thomas Harris novel is a great read.

Comment

I really need to finish THE TWELVE already so I can move on to DEVOLUTION. I only have like 80 pages left so I’m hoping to knock that out over today and tomorrow.

Comment

Reading House Haunted by Al Sarrantonio as well as The House By The Cemetery by Brian Everson. Both are very good. In addition to those I'm also reading Lilja's Library The World of Stephen King.

Comment

Just wrapped up Jeff Strand's Autumn Bleeds into Winter in two sittings. It's excellent. Another home run for Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Krisch View Post
                      Just wrapped up Jeff Strand's Autumn Bleeds into Winter in two sittings. It's excellent. Another home run for Jeff.
                      Good to know. My copy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Good to know. My copy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow
                        I’m waiting for the Thunderstorm edition, which both Jeff and Paul hinted on Twitter is a sure thing.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I finished The Lone Ranger #4: Heritage of the Plains/Lone Star Renegade/Death's Head Vengance. I finished Spiders in the Daffodils by Nelson W. Pyles. Bottom line-Great plot, horrible editing. I gave SitD a two star review due to the many typos, etc... I'm going back to reading Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich Volume Two.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Just finished reading the Suntup Gift Edition of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon". This was my first time reading this novel and I enjoyed the heck out of it. The writing was really fantastic and the characters were all fleshed out and believable. Was also one of the rare exceptions, that I can think of, where I felt bad/sympathy for both the protagonist and the antagonist in the story. No happy endings for anyone really in this story. Makes me want to check out the semi-sequel, "Silence of the Lambs", which I have sadly never read. Am wondering how closely the movie and book match as I have seen the movie tons of times.

My next read will be "Blood Secrets" by Craig Jones which I picked up from Centipede Press while it was on sale. Have never read anything by this author and have never heard of this book; so, I'm not really sure what to expect. I figure if Centipede was willing to publish it, then it must be good. We shall see...

Comment

My next read will be "Blood Secrets" by Craig Jones which I picked up from Centipede Press while it was on sale. Have never read anything by this author and have never heard of this book; so, I'm not really sure what to expect. I figure if Centipede was willing to publish it, then it must be good. We shall see...
                              It's a great read. I hadn't heard of it, either, before picking up a signed 1st HC a few years ago, and loved it -- so much so, that I picked up the later Centipede edition as well.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished reading the Suntup Gift Edition of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon". This was my first time reading this novel and I enjoyed the heck out of it. The writing was really fantastic and the characters were all fleshed out and believable. Was also one of the rare exceptions, that I can think of, where I felt bad/sympathy for both the protagonist and the antagonist in the story. No happy endings for anyone really in this story. Makes me want to check out the semi-sequel, "Silence of the Lambs", which I have sadly never read. Am wondering how closely the movie and book match as I have seen the movie tons of times.

I think you'll like The Silence of the Lambs as well. Follows closely with the movie but not exactly of course. You learn a lot more about Starling's character and like any good book, it's better than the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X