What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Finally finished my Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle re-read. I think it ended up being around 22 books. Truly one of my favorite series of all-time. I really like what F. Paul Wilson did with his secret history of the world and how almost all of his writings connect to it in one way or another. In a way, it reminded me very much of SK's Dark Tower series and how they connect to his oeuvre. Believe I will be starting Joe Lansdale's "More Better Deals" next. Am a huge Lansdale fan and it has been getting great reviews; so, my expectations are high.
    That's a massive re-read. Did you do it all the way straight through or break it up a bit? I've been thinking about diving into the Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle books, but it will probably be a while before I actually get around to it. I read LEGACIES a long time ago and at the time I thought it was "okay". I think I was expecting a more flat-out horror novel--I mean, it was in Borders's Horror section--and that isn't quite what it was from what I remember. I had the same feelings about THE KEEP. I think that with adjusted expectations, I would enjoy them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

That's a massive re-read. Did you do it all the way straight through or break it up a bit? I've been thinking about diving into the Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle books, but it will probably be a while before I actually get around to it. I read LEGACIES a long time ago and at the time I thought it was "okay". I think I was expecting a more flat-out horror novel--I mean, it was in Borders's Horror section--and that isn't quite what it was from what I remember. I had the same feelings about THE KEEP. I think that with adjusted expectations, I would enjoy them more.
      Read them straight through. With the recent release of a new Repairman Jack novel, "The Last Christmas", I figured it would be a good time to revisit that world. Don't know that I would classify any of the Repairman Jack novels as straight-up horror; although, each, to a certain extent, has horrific elements. One of the best things about the series is the way F. Paul Wilson moves between genre troupes in each novels. Some are thrillers, some are sci-fi/fantasy, and some are more horrific.

Comment

Dang, that’s impressive. I begin to stumble and reading slows down for me when I try to read a series straight through. To be honest, I struggle with series fiction in general. I usually get through one or two books then never finish the rest. A couple of years later I’ll decide to finish the series but will want to re-read the first couple of books so everything is fresh in my mind...and then the circle starts anew.

I’m trying a new approach where I read at least one book per month of a series I’m trying to get through. We’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Finished The Auctioneer and loved it. I’ve been on a pretty good roll with books lately. Starting The Notch by Tom Holland now. Hopefully this continues the streak of really good reads.

Comment

Got about half way through A Season in Carcosa ed. by Joseph Pulver. There were a couple of decent stories, but for the most part the tales were unmemorable.

Doubtful I ever finish this one.

On a better note, I'm about half way through The Silence by Tim Lebbon and thoroughly enjoying it.

B.

Comment

Reading The Speed Queen by Stewart O'Nan and wondering why I have not read this one before.

Comment

Just finished Joe Lansdale's "More Better Deals". Liked it but didn't love it. That may be due to the high standard that I hold Lansdale to as he is one of my favorite authors. The writing was good; however, If you've read any noir fiction in the past, then you've basically read this book. The characters also seemed a bit stock to me and were missing the weirdness & exciting dialogue that you come to expect with Lansdale's stories. Also wish there would have been at least a few red herrings in the book to keep you guessing as to the ending, but, the plot stays pretty predictable and leads to the conclusion you expect. Overall, one of the weaker Lansdale books in a while in my opinion. I have now begun George Romero/ Daniel Krauss' "The Living Dead". Am hoping that it will be good as I've always been a huge fan of Romero's zombie movies and generally enjoy zombie horror stories.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                  Just finished Joe Lansdale's "More Better Deals". Liked it but didn't love it. That may be due to the high standard that I hold Lansdale to as he is one of my favorite authors. The writing was good; however, If you've read any noir fiction in the past, then you've basically read this book. The characters also seemed a bit stock to me and were missing the weirdness & exciting dialogue that you come to expect with Lansdale's stories. Also wish there would have been at least a few red herrings in the book to keep you guessing as to the ending, but, the plot stays pretty predictable and leads to the conclusion you expect. Overall, one of the weaker Lansdale books in a while in my opinion. I have now begun George Romero/ Daniel Krauss' "The Living Dead". Am hoping that it will be good as I've always been a huge fan of Romero's zombie movies and generally enjoy zombie horror stories.
                  MORE BETTER DEALS is my next read, and am really looking forward to it. The absence of Lansdalian snappy patter/dialogue and general weirdness actually appeals to me this time around...a “mainstream” noir that pays homage to the classic tropes and themes of vintage noir sounds great and, for me, a welcome change from his more quirky work.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

About half way through Anthony Ryan's fantasy, The Black Song (A Raven's Blade Novel). He writes a good story and he's not a primadonna, he just cranks out good books year after year and he even manages publish a few interesting novellas as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It took me almost two months to get through King's The Institute. It wasn't bad, it was just a big book and since I've only been reading 5-10 pages a night before bed, it just took a long time.

I forced myself to stay up late one night to finish it so I could start on Stephen Graham Jones's The Only Good Indians. A friend of mine pointed out that SGJ is a professor at the University of Colorado Boulder, so we're practically neighbors. Him being a local did enable me to snag a signed copy from a bookstore in Boulder where he did a reading/signing for a VERY limited audience. (I really wish I knew about it before hand.)

Comment

The Institute was just ok for me. Started out well but kinda lost its steam.

That would have been really cool if you were able to attend that event. Congrats on scoring a signed copy.

Comment

Someone mentioned Watership Down. Thought I'd share photos of my copy. It is a sweet little book, well put together with a nice slipcase and wonderful illustrations by John Lawrence. Not an expensive book, but one I'm proud to own.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Got about half way through A Season in Carcosa ed. by Joseph Pulver. There were a couple of decent stories, but for the most part the tales were unmemorable.

Doubtful I ever finish this one.

On a better note, I'm about half way through The Silence by Tim Lebbon and thoroughly enjoying it.

B.

Comment

I have a copy of it, but I've never read Watership Down.

Need to rectify that sometime in the near future.

B

Comment

Finished The Silence by Tim Lebbon. Liked this one alot. Some very emotional, hard-hitting passage in this one.

Started The Sorrows by Jonathan Janz. 100 pages in and liking it so. Very traditional gothic feel to it. Though at times it also definitely feels like an author's first book.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X