• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Or Howard!
    YOU by Caroline Kepnes:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...180820992?s=21
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm about 40 pages from finishing up In the Valley of the Sun by Andy Davidson, a modern take on the vampire tale set in west Texas in 1980. Up to this point, very impressed with Davidson's first novel.

B

Comment

Old and new Charles Grant
        CG.jpg

Comment

I finished the first half of the Fredric Brown double-novel The Far Cry. I liked what to me seems like a trick ending to The Far Cry. Now I'm reading The Screaming Mimi and I'm also reading the collection Our Lady Of The Shadows by Tony Richards.

Cap
          Last edited by c marvel; 07-08-2019, 01:39 PM. Reason: I forgot something...
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I just read a tiny book The Lost Bird And Other Stories (Illustrated). Published by Dodd, Mead & Company in 1878. These are one page stories with an illustration to accompany each story.

Cap

Comment

I just listened to an audio reading of Ray Bradbury's The Emissary. It may be an old BBC recording, but I'm not sure. This reminded me that Bradbury was a great horror writer when he went there. Chilling, absolutely chilling.

The text.

http://www.newforestcentre.info/uplo...e_emissary.pdf

The audio. Very well done.

https://archive.org/details/LateNigh...y+Bradbury.mp3
              Last edited by njhorror; 07-12-2019, 06:52 PM.
              Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I've set aside the Fredric Brown double-novel -- I was reading The Screaming Mimi. I read Creeping Stick by Liam Ronan (Great novella plus extras!!) and I'm still reading Our Lady Of The Shadows by Tony Richards. ~Cap

Comment

Binge-reading the Mariam Black series by Chuck Wendig. On the fourth of six books total. Good stuff, but I am getting a little itchy to move on to something different...I'm just really not a series guy at heart.

Comment

@ RonClinton,

Have never read any Wendig. How would you describe his stuff? I keep seeing great reviews for his new novel "The Wanderers". The press makes me want to grab it; however; having never read any of his stuff, there is something holding me back. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                      @ RonClinton,

Have never read any Wendig. How would you describe his stuff? I keep seeing great reviews for his new novel "The Wanderers". The press makes me want to grab it; however; having never read any of his stuff, there is something holding me back. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.
                      I have THE WANDERERS, too...I went to his Q&A and signing that he had here in Seattle a couple weeks ago. https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...916416512?s=20

Haven't started that one yet, but, like you, I've heard good things about it....and his Miriam Black novels were enough to get me excited to want it (and brave Seattle rush-hour traffic...and pay $15 for parking...and pay full retail for the book..but I got my Black series novels signed, too so I suppose it was worth it).

R.e. Wendig: I've only read three full novels of his (the first three Black novels), but I really like his M. Black series work. It's blunt, sharp, horrific, shaded by dark humor and sarcasm...kind of like horror noir with attitude. I haven't run across a new-to-me author in some time that really struck me as something special, so he stands out in that regard. I'm also not a series guy, so for me to track down all six novels after just reading the first one as I knew I'd have to read them all...that says something as well. I guess he also does comic work and some Star Wars stuff and has done both an ant-invasion and zombie novel...don't know about any of that so can't really speak to his other work...don't know if the Black novels are illustrative of his voice or is unique among his body of work (I tend to doubt the latter). If I can get over the massive size of WANDERERS, I hope to start that one soon so would then be able to speak better to the difference (if any) between my positive reaction to the Black novels and it.

Comment

Thanks for that info Ron! Sounds like a new-to-me author that I may like as well. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up the Wanderers. Just got to figure a way to fit a novel that large into my current reading schedule.

Comment

I’m reading Let the Right One In. I like the story but it’s a very very dark story with some dark subject matter .
                          The Wanderers is next on my list of books to read.
                          I’m also 2 stories into The new Tremblay story collection and so far only a 3 star book. First story fell flat from the start and the second story starts really strong but for me it fizzled out in the middle of it. Hopefully it gets better .

Comment

Finished Book 5 of Rickman's Merrily Watkins series. Taking a break to read THE CORN MAIDEN and Other Nightmares by Joyce Carol Oates.

corn maiden.jpg
                            Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Finished Let The Right One In. 4 stars but a very troubling book. The subject matter can be difficult at times.
                              Put down the Tremblay book for now. About 100 pages in and so far it's like a collection of Koontz novels. The stories just end. Really liked a couple so far but some start out great and really fizzle out by the end. I'll get back to it soon enough.
                              100 pages into Wanderers and really enjoying it.

Comment

Couldn't finish Island Red by Matt Serafini.

Now I'm about a third of the way through World War Cthulhu: a Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories, and for the most part, thoroughly enjoying it.

B.

Comment

Working...
                                X